Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

That’s product advertising you are parroting 

the FDA again has asked them to stop making up an ad pitch to hawk the product against reality

It’s a virus, not a bacteria

having dealt with both, the bacteria is far more lethal but you have drugs to take, for the virus you sit and wait cause they can’t do anything for it and “there’s a lot of it going around”

This is incorrect.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I see everyone’s favourite minister (cough, con man) Jim Bakker was hawking some holistic snake oil approach to dealing with the bug.  Someone should have invalidated his parking fees a long time ago.

he’s still on the air

Saw his show flipping through channels during a recent insomnia spell 

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

That’s product advertising you are parroting 

the FDA again has asked them to stop making up an ad pitch to hawk the product against reality

It’s a virus, not a bacteria

having dealt with both, the bacteria is far more lethal but you have drugs to take, for the virus you sit and wait cause they can’t do anything for it and “there’s a lot of it going around”

Dude, as detailed above: I am a trained maniac.  I once worked with viruses professionally and had accountability (taking swabs and testing them to ensure I was successfully containing the virus I was working with in the biological containment hood and killing it effectively). 

Fact: Coronavirus is killed by alcohol-based hand sanitizers >60% alcohol, soap and water, and standard disinfectants including disinfectant wipes, 0.1% bleach solution, and hydrogen peroxide.  Follow the recommended contact time for the disinfectant - usually 1 minute - and sing "happy birthday to me" while washing hands or scrubbing with handsanitizer.

I have no idea what product you're talking about "the FDA has asked them to stop making up an ad pitch", either it's nothing you're responding to in my post or it's incorrect

A statement like "the bacteria is far more lethal but you have drugs to take, for the virus you sit and wait" is so generic as to be incorrect.  Yes, bacteria are generally treatable with antibiotics - sometimes, unless they are multi-drug resistant bacteria.    They are generally killed by common disinfectant wipes - unless they have formed spores or biofilms. 

Antiviral drugs exist that are effective against some viruses - not cold viruses, and of limited effect against flu, but HIV, hepatitis, herpes, etc.

In the specific case of Covid19, China tested many treatment protocols and found some effective combinations of drugs - one reason their death rate from Covid19 is now lower (the other is infection curve flattening due to social distancing/contact tracing so that hospitals are no longer overwhelmed).

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

My buddy and his family are going on a 5 day cruise in 3 weeks... Wonder what things will look like then.

I am supposed to take them there and drop them off.

As long as you aren't supposed to pick them up after the cruise!  

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure what anti-bacterial hand stuff you mean, but standard alcohol-based hand sanitizers and standard disinfectant wipes should (very high confidence) be effective against Covid19.  Coronaviri are way easier to kill off than Noroviri

I read has to be 60% alcohol or greater to be effective

On 3/8/2020 at 12:14 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Train yourself and your loved ones just never ever touch your face unless you've just washed your hands or you're in a space you control and keep clean.  If you absolutely must scratch your nose out in public, go wash your hands and then scratch it by proxy, through a Kleenex. 

please excuse me  before hand 

hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahaaaa 

I've been trying to do that for days and I was just touching my face as I read that post 

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I read has to be 60% alcohol or greater to be effective

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is correct; 70% preferred.  Standard alcohol based sanitizers sold for purpose  are >60% alcohol AFAIK.  I just looked at 7 brands lurking around our house; range from 60-85%, most 70%.

soooooo  drink until the alcohol oozes out of your pores ????

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

please excuse me  before hand 

hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahaaaa 

I've been trying to do that for days and I was just touching my face as I read that post 

I tell you.  Just visualize your fingers as coated with dog poo.  Scrub that stuff off before you touch.

• Haha (+1) 1

The amount of ignorance surrounding COVID-19 right now is stunning and infuriating.

If I hear "it's less deadly than the flu!" or "this is just media-created hype over nothing" ONE MORE TIME... ?"

I get it: Its a frightening reality and in order to attempt to assuage their own fear -- which most of them won't even admit they're feeling -- many people downplay the seriousness and potential risk of the virus. If that's how you want to think of the thing in your own mind, fine. But please, PLEASE...don't go around spouting that factually incorrect, downright dangerous disinformation within earshot of other people who are foolish enough to actually believe it.

I will refrain from saying the rest of what I'd like to say about this virus and our federal government's reaction to it or lack thereof, for there would be no way to avoid it become political. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The amount of ignorance surrounding COVID-19 right now is stunning and infuriating.

If I hear "it's less deadly than the flu!" or "this is just media-created hype over nothing" ONE MORE TIME... ?"

I get it: Its a frightening reality and in order to attempt to assuage their own fear -- which most of them won't even admit they're feeling -- many people downplay the seriousness and potential risk of the virus. If that's how you want to think of the thing in your own mind, fine. But please, PLEASE...don't go around spouting that factually incorrect, downright dangerous disinformation within earshot of other people who are foolish enough to actually believe it.

I will refrain from saying the rest of what I'd like to say about this virus and our federal government's reaction to it or lack thereof, for there would be no way to avoid it become political. 

Because pandemics require the actions and interactions of governments and the various agencies under their administrations, they are inherently political. That’s always been the case and always will be. 

The key is to be adults about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Play the flute over the virus, that should work about as well. 

Look, even if the copper swabby thing works.... it will only kill any virus that is lingering at the nostril depth you swab.  The minute you inhale some virus or insert it into your nostrils (you know what you do), mouth or eyes, it will start migrating into your body.  Virus will not hang around swab-deep in your nose.  And cut your nostrils by sticking a piece of metal inside them, you've just created a door for easy viral entry.

Thanks for the reply.

I realize sharp metal pieces would not be good in the nose.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:30 AM, teef said:

i never realized how much i touch my face until recently.

Every once in a while I realize I’’m NOT touching my face! 

This is crazy now that I pay attention! What’s really bad is I want to start touching other people’s faces. That has gotten me into some trouble.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

Thanks for the reply.

I realize sharp metal pieces would not be good in the nose.

I intended no disparagement of your common sense.  I was more thinking that even carefully smoothed (but still hard, because metal) pieces, inserted into the nostrils the requisite many times a day this would require to be effective, could probably rub a sore.  Just as one may get a blister from thousands of steps in soft wool socks rubbing against smooth boot lining.