MMQB: Bills spent considerable time with top WRs including Jeudy and Lamb

I'm sure if they trade up for one they are going to pick a quality guy, so I'm all for it. I just don't think they need to hone in on one specific receiver and mortgage the farm to go get him. Have 3-4 guys you are willing to go get if they fall to a specific spot. Don't do anything crazy like trade up to 5.

24 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Interesting to say the least. I'm not super big on trading up for a WR in a class like this, but I know Beane can't help himself sometimes and I imagine the top 3 WRs are all very tempting to him.

#14 ahead of Denver seems like the sweet spot if he doesn't care which of the 3 he gets (though there's a chance they're all taken at that point too). #10 ahead of the Jets, Raiders, Colts, and Broncos makes sense if Beane wants to go up and get a specific guy.

Edit: To put in perspective what we're talking about in terms of price, Pittsburgh sent #20, #52, and a future 3rd to move up to #10 last year so it would cost something close to a 1, a 2, and a 3 for us. Maybe slightly more than that depending on how high we want to go.

I would be TOTALLY against a move like this, IMO to give up a 1,2, and a 3rd for a WR especially in a deep of a WR draft as this would be mind boggling 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Putin said:

I would be TOTALLY against a move like this, IMO to give up a 1,2, and a 3rd for a WR especially in a deep of a WR draft as this would be mind boggling 

That’s why they call it “The Whaley “ ?

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have a feeling Bowden is going to go pretty late. Teams will be digging Up some info on him from HS. The value is there, he’s an ok kid. He also punts! I was at this game.

I certainly can’t speak to the talk of gang affiliations in HS, etc. I’m not sure if that’ll be a huge knock on him as he seems to have left that behind. However, the incident before the Virginia Tech game is definitely something he’s being asked about in interviews. 

1 hour ago, Putin said:

I believe both will be gone before our pick at 22

Pretty much a certainty.  So, the fact that they invested time to talk to them suggests the notion of a trade up is at least on the table.  I don't personally think that's going to happen, but the Bills seem to have not ruled it out.  I suppose it could be a smoke screen, but I don't think the Bills have done a lot of that since Buddy Nix was telling anybody who listened that Cordy Glenn was a guard.

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Pretty much a certainty.  So, the fact that they invested time to talk to them suggests the notion of a trade up is at least on the table.  I don't personally think that's going to happen, but the Bills seem to have not ruled it out.  I suppose it could be a smoke screen, but I don't think the Bills have done a lot of that since Buddy Nix was telling anybody who listened that Cordy Glenn was a guard.

So the thing is, if they wanted to smoke screen, they would have formally met with both of them and publicized the meetings. They were the only two NOT listed. But yet Breer specifically used their names only in his report.

38 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Interesting to say the least. I'm not super big on trading up for a WR in a class like this, but I know Beane can't help himself sometimes and I imagine the top 3 WRs are all very tempting to him.

#14 ahead of Denver seems like the sweet spot if he doesn't care which of the 3 he gets (though there's a chance they're all taken at that point too). #10 ahead of the Jets, Raiders, Colts, and Broncos makes sense if Beane wants to go up and get a specific guy.

Edit: To put in perspective what we're talking about in terms of price, Pittsburgh sent #20, #52, and a future 3rd to move up to #10 last year so it would cost something close to a 1, a 2, and a 3 for us. Maybe slightly more than that depending on how high we want to go.

IIRC, in 2017, KC went from 27th to 10th a few years back for 1st & 3rd and NY's RD1 

5 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

If Beane trades up for a WR, in this class, I'll lose a lot of faith in his judgement.

Why? There is a lot of WR depth but only 3 that everyone agrees are immediate #1 WRs in the NFL. That is the player we need. I mean we need another #2/#3 as well but getting the true #1 is the priority. The way this draft class looks we could trade up for a #1 and still get a depth WR in rounds 4-7. In fact I hope that's exactly what we do.

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

. The way this draft class looks we could trade up for a #1 and still get a depth WR in rounds 4-7. In fact I hope that's exactly what we do.

I Agree with you about adding two receivers.  If we get one WR in free agency,  then a draft pick in mid to lower rounds could be a TE. I think that between FA and draft,  we will add three. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Why? There is a lot of WR depth but only 3 that everyone agrees are immediate #1 WRs in the NFL. That is the player we need. I mean we need another #2/#3 as well but getting the true #1 is the priority. The way this draft class looks we could trade up for a #1 and still get a depth WR in rounds 4-7. In fact I hope that's exactly what we do.

I believe it will be based on their board but if there is enough of a gap between the top guys and the next group, I think they are committed to drafting their cornerstone WR this year and could make a move to do so. If there isn’t a big gap between say Lamb and Mims or Jefferson for example, who will likely be there at 22 they will stay put. But they know by now where they have them rated... now it’s all visits and interviews and private workouts so we watch to see who comes to OBD. 

I guess to me there are some guys you watch play in college, over multiple years with different QBs, and you just know they are going to be some team’s #1 WR in the nfl. Those guys to me were Jeudy and lamb. Not to say other guys can’t be. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have a feeling Bowden is going to go pretty late. Teams will be digging Up some info on him from HS. The value is there, he’s an ok kid. He also punts! I was at this game.

Yolo, please tell me it was called back for the crackback block.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

18 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I Agree with you about adding two receivers.  If we get one WR in free agency,  then a draft pick in mid to lower rounds could be a TE. I think that between FA and draft,  we will add three. 

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe it will be based on their board but if there is enough of a gap between the top guys and the next group, I think they are committed to drafting their cornerstone WR this year and could make a move to do so. If there isn’t a big gap between say Lamb and Mims or Jefferson for example, who will likely be there at 22 they will stay put. But they know by now where they have them rated... now it’s all visits and interviews and private workouts so we watch to see who comes to OBD. 

I guess to me there are some guys you watch play in college, over multiple years with different QBs, and you just know they are going to be some team’s #1 WR in the nfl. Those guys to me were Jeudy and lamb. Not to say other guys can’t be. 

Not to parse out words here, but everyone is essentially saying the same thing, but just question the method by which we arrive to the same outcome. We all know, and obviously the Bills most importantly, that the Bills desperately need a top tier boundary WR. The concern is whether they can do that via FA or trade, or whether they believe that needs to happen via the Draft. 

Based on Beane's comments in past interviews, I'd say all of these interviews and exhaustive vetting has to do with contingency plans and preparation. If we're to take Beane's comments on face value, he would say the "needs" get done in FA and then BPA in the Draft. However, if despite all of their best efforts and work they're unable to get a great boundary WR (notice I didn't say #1 b/c I personally don't think that truly exists in the current NFL anymore) via FA or the Draft, THEN I think they sell out and do whatever they think is necessary and possible to get the WR they know Josh Allen needs. 

To other people's point, I can see the Bills Drafting 2 WRs if they Draft one early, or if they get their FA / trade WR, Drafting 1 in the mid rounds for depth. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Not to parse out words here, but everyone is essentially saying the same thing, but just question the method by which we arrive to the same outcome. We all know, and obviously the Bills most importantly, that the Bills desperately need a top tier boundary WR. The concern is whether they can do that via FA or trade, or whether they believe that needs to happen via the Draft. 

Based on Beane's comments in past interviews, I'd say all of these interviews and exhaustive vetting has to do with contingency plans and preparation. If we're to take Beane's comments on face value, he would say the "needs" get done in FA and then BPA in the Draft. However, if despite all of their best efforts and work they're unable to get a great boundary WR (notice I didn't say #1 b/c I personally don't think that truly exists in the current NFL anymore) via FA or the Draft, THEN I think they sell out and do whatever they think is necessary and possible to get the WR they know Josh Allen needs. 

To other people's point, I can see the Bills Drafting 2 WRs if they Draft one early, or if they get their FA / trade WR, Drafting 1 in the mid rounds for depth. 

I can easily see 2-3 WRs being added. If we’re honest every one except Beasley, Brown, and maybe Edwards are replaceable and upgradable. Considering the WR depth in the draft it’s entirely possible that WR will be BPA at several of Beane’s picks even if he gives up assets to trade up somewhere. 

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If the Bills are going to trade up, then I'd prefer they'd do it for one of the top three, and if they don't acquire at least a solid veteran WR in FA, then getting one of the three pro ready kids is even more important.  If they don't get better receivers for Allen for the coming season, when exactly are they going to do so???

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wowza, that was a Taysom Hill play all the way:wub:

14 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Did I miss something? I thought he was only a FA in 2021?

No new deal has been made, clearly undervalued, should trade for him ASAFP!!!!?

• Like (+1) 1