Sammy Haggar was a better lead singer for Van Halen than David Lee Roth

Nope! But they were 2 different bands, especially Eddies playing style. Both have their place.

Listen to any Van Hager album and then listen to Fair Warning; not even close to be comparable, especially Eddie's playing

32 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I wonder if row_33 is laughing ‘with’ you, or ‘at’ you.

at him

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Solo, I like Sammy more than Dave.

I like Sammy solo more than Sammy with VH.

I like VH with Dave more than VH with Sammy.

Van Halen's first few albums were killer. The stuff they did with Sammy was good, but not groundbreaking like the earlier material.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I cannot believe none of you have the courage to admit it.

”Right Now” is Van Halen’s greatest song and you all know it.

blue-eyed murder in a size 5 dress - is their best mainstream song

Mean Street is fugging awesome

I actually would say Poundcake & Don't Tell Me are 2 of the better Hagar songs...

Right Now, meh

Sammy is a much better sing than Dave, especially now, but in their primes DLR wins every time. Back your claim up - why is he better?

Edited by Reed83HOF

David Lee Roth has been on the Joe Rogan podcast.

He pointed out that every VH song with Sammy Hagar talks about love.

But as Diamond Dave pointed out, he ain't talkin' 'bout love.

I thought that was great; summed up the difference in the bands.

Sammy Hagar is a talented guy but I don't particularly like his music; VH had some good songs with him, but much prefer the original band with DLR.

To me, Van Halen with Hagar is something else; it's not Van Halen anymore.

This is better as a drunken debate with someone that has your complete opposite view. My great buddy X (RIP Jav) loved DLR. I was always a SH fan. Respected DLR years but was a little too young for DLR. I was 14 when 5150 was released. My point was SH always had a better voice than DLR, even true today. 

I even like some of the live stuff where SH sings the older DLR songs.

This might be the only band where the lead singer wasn't the true head case....

Edited by qwksilver

I like Sammy and he seems like a cool dude (and he lives on my street), but Hager era VH is a joke compared to the early years when Roth was fronting.  VH was the balls in the early years.

Of course, that’s not all b/c of the lead singer.

There's Van Halen...and then there's Van Hagar.  Van Halen was an all-time great rock band.  Van Hagar was a really good, borderline great pop rock band.  I saw them during the 5150 tour and saw Van Halen during the 2015 Tour.  Dave's voice was crap and I wish I had seen them in their first go-around, but it was still a good show and I wasn't a fan of them until after they broke up.

Sammy is a better singer than Dave.  But then again, Van Halen wasn't about Dave's vocal prowess.

• Like (+1) 2

I've always found it pointless to compare DLR-era VH to Sammy-era VH.  Two entirely different bands; each of them awesome in their own ways.

Furthermore, DLR's and Sammy's voices are completely different.

DLR was perfect for the VH albums he was on; Sammy was perfect for the VH albums he was on.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I cannot believe none of you have the courage to admit it.

”Right Now” is Van Halen’s greatest song and you all know it.

I opened this thread to say that all I know is that Sammy sang their greatest song.  God, do I love that - and the video.

The only other song that I love is Dance the Night Away, but not even close to Right Now................I like a bunch of other songs.

But, I've seen them twice - for free - once with Dave and I was in the front row.  And, once with Sammy in a luxury box.  I wanted my money back both times.  

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Sammy is a better singer than Dave.  But then again, Van Halen wasn't about Dave's vocal prowess.

Agreed.   Especially as they got older.   

Sammy still puts on a killer show, while Dave **** the bed the last time I saw him with VH in Buffalo (he was totally not into it and really pissed me off)...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1