Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tipster19

A list of potential TEs that can be had if the Bills don’t land Olsen.

Recommended Posts

OJ Howard

David Njoku

Tyler Eifert

Austin Hooper

Eric Ebron

Hunter Henry

 

I would love for the Bills to trade for OJ and even David Njoku. Boot Tyler Kroft and Nate Becker and have O.J., Njoku, Knox, Sweeney and Croom make up the TE group. Having a group like this could also help compensate the WRs. If the Bills end up not trading for a blue chip WR and instead draft 1 or 2 then a talented group of pass catching TEs could make the difference in what we can do offensively.

 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How "can" they be had if you have to "trade" for them?  Free agents can be had but trades are a bit more complicated.  In that regard, I would love for the Bills to trade for s slew of Pro Bowlers.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take any one of these guys.  It seems it is actually a good year for tight ends.

 

This might be a good offeseason for finding offensive talent overall

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stinks that Hunter and Eifert are oft injured because they have the ability to be elite...

 

Would be nice to get Henry and have him stay healthy and explode

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and why would the Bills want to land Olsen? Anybody on that list is preferable to Olsen at this stage of his game. Kroft and Sweeney have more upside than Olsen right now. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OJ Howard or even Cameron Brate being available from the Bucs makes sense.  They both had a lot of upside, but Arians doesn't target his TE's much.  He doesn't have a huge need to keep both of them.  Howard has a year left on his rookie deal with the 5th year option.  And Brate has 4 years left at around 6.5 Million per year (But no dead $ left at all on any remaing years).  Both contracts are very manageable and might be worth taking a shot with for a mid-round pick or so.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jumpsuit Jim said:

...and why would the Bills want to land Olsen? Anybody on that list is preferable to Olsen at this stage of his game. Kroft and Sweeney have more upside than Olsen right now. 

I was against Olsen at first as well.  I now think it all depends on how much they think he has left in the tank.  If he's 75% of his old self on a medium to lower end contract, I would be for it.  He could still be a decent contributor and be a mentor to the young guys as well.   However, I understand people being hesitant with him given his age and injury history lately - his contract would have to be right 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spend the money on Austin Hooper. Atlanta does not have a good cap situation (Spotrac shows $5.6 million in cap space) and that's after releasing Vic Beasley. There are so many examples of teams now with 2 good TEs have excellent passing attacks, like Philly with Ertz and Goedert, Balt with Andrews and Hurst and of course the original NE with Gronk and Hernandez (pre-murders). Add in KC and SF with great TEs.

 

So many keep clamoring for the big target in the passing game and want to settle on Duke Williams, Hooper would be so much better than that. 

 

Price tag: probably about $10 million, maybe they structure a slightly more cap friendly deal in the $9-9.5 range. But the good thing is if they sign Hooper they can release Kroft AND Lee Smith, saving them $7 million on the cap. So for $3 million more they have Hooper vs. Kroft and Smith. Who wouldn't take that? AFter those moves they are still $79 million under the cap.

 

As for blocking TE, they move Sweeney to #3, only keep 3 TEs and keep an extra OL and groom one of their backups to be essentially the 4th TE who just blocks. Dawkins has shown he can catch at goal line so you could use him. Lee Smith is always touted as one of the best blocking TEs in football but by definition isn't an offensive lineman going to be a better blocker than any TE? 

 

The other great thing about Hooper is that he's 25 years old, he's coming into his prime, another young, talented player. 

 

Last year they broke the bank on Morse, if I was to be willing to overpay for one player this year it would be Hooper. 

 

Statistics

 

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will take Hooper, and release Kroft and Lee--the human penalty--Smith.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

Spend the money on Austin Hooper. Atlanta does not have a good cap situation (Spotrac shows $5.6 million in cap space) and that's after releasing Vic Beasley. There are so many examples of teams now with 2 good TEs have excellent passing attacks, like Philly with Ertz and Goedert, Balt with Andrews and Hurst and of course the original NE with Gronk and Hernandez (pre-murders). Add in KC and SF with great TEs.

 

So many keep clamoring for the big target in the passing game and want to settle on Duke Williams, Hooper would be so much better than that. 

 

Price tag: probably about $10 million, maybe they structure a slightly more cap friendly deal in the $9-9.5 range. But the good thing is if they sign Hooper they can release Kroft AND Lee Smith, saving them $7 million on the cap. So for $3 million more they have Hooper vs. Kroft and Smith. Who wouldn't take that? AFter those moves they are still $79 million under the cap.

 

As for blocking TE, they move Sweeney to #3, only keep 3 TEs and keep an extra OL and groom one of their backups to be essentially the 4th TE who just blocks. Dawkins has shown he can catch at goal line so you could use him. Lee Smith is always touted as one of the best blocking TEs in football but by definition isn't an offensive lineman going to be a better blocker than any TE? 

 

The other great thing about Hooper is that he's 25 years old, he's coming into his prime, another young, talented player. 

 

Last year they broke the bank on Morse, if I was to be willing to overpay for one player this year it would be Hooper. 

 

Statistics

 


Amen J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoops.  Great take and exactly what I want.  Keeping Sweeney makes sense and Hooper is a huge upgrade from the other two.  Especially when you framed it that only a $3 mil upgrade.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

OJ Howard

David Njoku

Tyler Eifert

Austin Hooper

Eric Ebron

Hunter Henry

 

I would love for the Bills to trade for OJ and even David Njoku. Boot Tyler Kroft and Nate Becker and have O.J., Njoku, Knox, Sweeney and Croom make up the TE group. Having a group like this could also help compensate the WRs. If the Bills end up not trading for a blue chip WR and instead draft 1 or 2 then a talented group of pass catching TEs could make the difference in what we can do offensively.

 

Not sure why would anyone care about signing Olson,  the guy is old and should retire.Bills needs to cut Kroft and upgrade the position with someone under the age of 30.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jumpsuit Jim said:

...and why would the Bills want to land Olsen? Anybody on that list is preferable to Olsen at this stage of his game. Kroft and Sweeney have more upside than Olsen right now. 

There may be some interest in having a mentor for both Knox, and Sweeney, a la Gore/Motor. I could imagine that Beane/McD might see enough potential in both of those guys to not reach too far for another TE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BillsDiehard said:

Jacob Hollister...SEA...Josh's TE at Wyoming

 

 

....so as an RFA who was a UDFA, what is the cost?..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why stop there? Let's just trade for Kelce and Kittle.s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

OJ Howard

David Njoku

Tyler Eifert

Austin Hooper

Eric Ebron

Hunter Henry

 

I would love for the Bills to trade for OJ and even David Njoku. Boot Tyler Kroft and Nate Becker and have O.J., Njoku, Knox, Sweeney and Croom make up the TE group. Having a group like this could also help compensate the WRs. If the Bills end up not trading for a blue chip WR and instead draft 1 or 2 then a talented group of pass catching TEs could make the difference in what we can do offensively.

 

 

I totally agree that adding TE's can help make up for the lack of a top WR in FA.  But, I recommend targeting Hooper or Henry, and adding Njoku.  I wouldn't trade for Howard.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who introduced the concept of a TE to these Bills? Been three decades since they bothered with the position 

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BillsDiehard said:

Jacob Hollister...SEA...Josh's TE at Wyoming

He's a RFA and doesn't add much in terms of size. I don't see him being any better than Sweeney here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I'm not feeling the need to go out and get a shiny  new tight end.  If one falls into Buffalo's lap and he can be signed to a reasonable contract, fine, but I think we're going to see significant improvement from Dawson Knox, and I think Sweeney can be a solid contributor as well.  Kroft? I'm not as certain, but not ruling out more from him.  The only one I really think is kind of a waste is Lee Smith.  I get the "locker room value" and all that, but he was a clear liability on the field.  He came with a reputation as a great blocker at the tight end position, but he spent the whole season as the next penalty waiting to happen at the most inopportune time, both false starts and blocking penalties (holding, illegal use of hands, whatever).  To be honest, I'd try Nate Becker as my blocking tight end before I'd want Lee Smith back.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 10:30 PM, BillsCuse said:

OJ Howard or even Cameron Brate being available from the Bucs makes sense.  They both had a lot of upside, but Arians doesn't target his TE's much.  He doesn't have a huge need to keep both of them.  Howard has a year left on his rookie deal with the 5th year option.  And Brate has 4 years left at around 6.5 Million per year (But no dead $ left at all on any remaing years).  Both contracts are very manageable and might be worth taking a shot with for a mid-round pick or so.


Great take. When it comes to TEs one usually thinks New England but they have been pretty quiet about this position, especially when Gronk retired. Maybe they’re waiting for a value TE like Brate, it wouldn’t surprise me if they end up with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 8:04 PM, Sherlock Holmes said:

Stinks that Hunter and Eifert are oft injured because they have the ability to be elite...

 

Would be nice to get Henry and have him stay healthy and explode

Hunter Henry is the best of this group and should be the target.  Not a fan of Olsen signing.  Too old. Henry at 25 to go with Knox and Sweeney would be beyond perfect.  Add a couple young wrs and booyah. Whatever money you'd give to Olsen put toward HH.....

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So were going to overpay or trade assets away to a position where we have a nice young player in Knox who actually looked pretty darn good right out of the gate? This is usually not the case with the TE position as it can be very complex as a rookie. He looked pretty darn good to me, I'd much rather just continue developing both Sweeney and Knox instead of burying him on the depth chart to some bum like OJ Howard or an oft injured Hunter Henry. If we go after anyone at the position I think Cameron Brate is a super under rated TE, he would be the only one I'd spend the money on but that's just my opinion.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Hunter Henry is the best of this group and should be the target.  Not a fan of Olsen signing.  Too old.

 

Agreed.  

 

TL/DR version:  Hunter Henry would be my top offseason priority.  Option 2 would be to trade a 5th for Cameron Brate..  Option 3 would be to sign Vance McDonald for 2 years / $12M.

 

Long version:

 

A healthy Hunter Henry has top 5 TE potential and could instantly become the most dangerous weapon in our passing game.  If we're a few players away, I say he's one of them.

 

Austin Hooper is a solid player, but not close to Henry's level.  He's been healthier, but if you're williing to excuse the entire 2018 season that Henry lost to injury (with the reasoning that it could happen to anyone), then Hooper has only played 2 games more than Henry.

 

David Njoku & OJ Howard both have potential, but would cost a pick.  Njoku could possibly be had for a 3rd.  Arians probably wouldn't give up Howard for less than a 2nd, if only to torment him for another year.  Both would be cheap contracts this season, with a potential 5th year option.  We have the money, so that shouldn't be the deciding factor.  Also, this regime's track record in the 3rd is Harrison Phillips, Devin Singletary, and yes, TE Dawson Knox.  Therefore, I don't think I'd be giving up the pick.

 

Never much cared for Ebron's game.  He's a sub-par blocker, and a sub-60% passer throwing to a sub-60% receiver isn't a recipe for success.

 

Cameron Brate for a 5th could be a worthy consolation prize if we can't get Henry.  I like his game better than Hooper's, and he's on the hook for a very manageable 4 years / $26.8M.  

 

Jacob Hollister strikes me as just above JAG status.  

 

I'm somewhat intrigued by Vance McDonald, who's a decent blocker and has looked like a monster at times in the passing game.  I've also wondered why it was so sporadic (injuries have played a part), and why his TE coach so emphatically stated that McDonald wouldn't be the Steelers' full-time starting TE prior to last season.  Say what you will about the Steelers (I don't like them), but they seem to guess right more often than most teams when it comes to utilizing & retaining their personnel.   Still...

 

Young Tyler Eifert was a beast when healthy, but that wasn't very often.  Now he's a shell of his former, rarely healthy, self.

 

As for Olsen, 1) I don't mind having the position coaches mentor the players, and 2) enough with the former Panthers already.

Edited by Buffalo86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...