A list of potential TEs that can be had if the Bills don’t land Olsen.

Tipster19

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Our pursuit of Olsen makes me think it's unlikely we go after any of these guys as they pry expect Knox to develop into a premier TE.  Giving a short term contract to a veteran that can help mentor young players and still produce on the field fits McBean's MO (K. Williams, Alexander, Gore). 

It's more likely we give a big contract to a premier guard or tackle to beef up the o-line than any of the players listed above.  

Who cares about Olson,  he should retire already.  Sign a TE with potential to learn and play in your offense for the next 3-4 seasons not one year.  

24 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Hooper & Henry are both expected to fetch somewhere in the vicinity of $10M/yr.  With the current 3 team bidding war, Olsen will probably get something in the $7M/yr range.

Either sign Hopper at 12 mill or forget about Olson who is not worth anything more than 4-5 mill at this stage of his career.

23 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Who cares about Olson,  he should retire already.  Sign a TE with potential to learn and play in your offense for the next 3-4 seasons not one year.  

The Seahawks, Redskins, and Bills apparently.  He's not washed up yet as he put up nearly 600 yards last year despite catching passes from Kyle Allen, Will Grier, and a decrepit Cam Newton. There's a reason he's in high demand as he's an upgrade over Kroft and Sweeney.  Great hands, knows how to get open, and would provide a reliable safety blanket for Allen.   They also won't have to commit to him long term.  Olsen and Knox can be quite the 1, 2 combination.

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Our pursuit of Olsen makes me think it's unlikely we go after any of these guys as they pry expect Knox to develop into a premier TE.  Giving a short term contract to a veteran that can help mentor young players and still produce on the field fits McBean's MO (K. Williams, Alexander, Gore). 

It's more likely we give a big contract to a premier guard or tackle to beef up the o-line than any of the players listed above.  

I agree with this.

Knox and Sweeney makes Te a position that can be upgraded but not a nessecity.  I think Knox has the potential to a top 10 te.  There are things he needs to work on but his talent is real.  Olsen, would be similar to Gore last year.  He is an immense upgrade over Lee Smith.  He can play and be a revieving threat in any formation.

20 hours ago, TigerJ said:

To be honest, I'm not feeling the need to go out and get a shiny  new tight end.  If one falls into Buffalo's lap and he can be signed to a reasonable contract, fine, but I think we're going to see significant improvement from Dawson Knox, and I think Sweeney can be a solid contributor as well.  Kroft? I'm not as certain, but not ruling out more from him.  The only one I really think is kind of a waste is Lee Smith.  I get the "locker room value" and all that, but he was a clear liability on the field.  He came with a reputation as a great blocker at the tight end position, but he spent the whole season as the next penalty waiting to happen at the most inopportune time, both false starts and blocking penalties (holding, illegal use of hands, whatever).  To be honest, I'd try Nate Becker as my blocking tight end before I'd want Lee Smith back.

17 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

So were going to overpay or trade assets away to a position where we have a nice young player in Knox who actually looked pretty darn good right out of the gate? This is usually not the case with the TE position as it can be very complex as a rookie. He looked pretty darn good to me, I'd much rather just continue developing both Sweeney and Knox instead of burying him on the depth chart to some bum like OJ Howard or an oft injured Hunter Henry. If we go after anyone at the position I think Cameron Brate is a super under rated TE, he would be the only one I'd spend the money on but that's just my opinion.

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

3 hours ago, Iamkrgr said:

We're really counting on Dawson Knox to develop further if we're signing Olsen. Would be a solid vet signing and probably help Knox quite a bit. 

For all the people saying to spend on Austin Hooper i think we have a similar one in Knox. Roughly same size, 3rd rounders. Knox had more receiving yards in his rookie year albeit with a far worse catch%. Though having Matt Ryan throw to you in your rookie season might help a bit. 

How much does Hooper cost in FA? How about Olsen? 

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Either sign Hopper at 12 mill or forget about Olson who is not worth anything more than 4-5 mill at this stage of his career.

Think I just counted 45 replies to this thread and only 4 people make any sense!  Amazing.  Well not really, typical response from fanatics here.  I've also read on both the Athletic and BN similar questions about TE position and both sites basically say the same.  If  we can sign Olsen, great as he's a short term solution and can help both Sweeney and Knox improve in 2020 and maybe 2021.  But don't make any moves that could potentially reduce Knox's playing time. 

Knox needs to develop and has the skill set that very few TE's in the league have.  Did he drop too many balls yes, but the one area he's had the least experience in is catching passes, so lets see how he does in his 2nd year before bringing in his replacement.  He could become the next Eric Ebron who basically has been a bust or he may be the next Gronk, no one here knows for certain either way.  If by the end of next seasonhe's still dropping way too many balls, then look for an alternative.

Multiple responses argue we don't have good WR so sign one of these guys to make up for it.  Why not just sign actual WR's instead?

Beane has stated he wants to develop through the draft, so why put Knox a 3rd round pick back on the bench or relegate him to 2 TE's sets only?  Not sure how well a blocker Olsen is compared to Lee Smith, if he's even close and with likely improvement from both Knox and Sweeney, I'd be OK with a TE group of Knox, Olsen, and Sweeney.  When you draft guys and a year later look for his replacement, you'll quickly find yourself back in salary cap hell and will become the next Cleveland instead of the the Steelers.

They already have the guy who has the potential to learn and play in the offense the next 4 years, his name is Dawson Knox!