Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Greg S

Lions possibly looking to move Stafford

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

A rare time when I am not on board with your thought process. Stafford is one of those "just good enough" QBs and I dont see how Belichick can change his fundamentals this late in Stafford's career to win a lot. Stafford can be game planned against and BB may not be able to scheme around those limitations. 

 

As for Detroit, it totally makes sense to move on from Stafford esp from the timing perspective. If they do this correctly, they will hit a period when Rodgers is retiring, Cousins is still Cousins and Bears with a young QB. Detroit can draft a QB high, sign a vet to mentor him and hit this potential window in 2 years.  

 

I disagree with the first bit but not the second. They can't move on from him it seems for cap reasons this year but there is a logic to it otherwise. They could take Tua anyway, redshirt him and get out of Stafford's deal after next season.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's why they hired Patricia and Quinn. Now I don't necessarily think Patricia's a great HC imo but between the two of those guys they have like 7 SB rings w Pats. They were brought in because they do know what it takes, just don't seem able to put it together in Detroit. 

 

For sure. They were trying to address their failings... but not sure they picked the right guys to do it with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

 

 

Is there a more enigmatic player in the NFL?

 

I could be wrong about him but I've just gradually developed the impression that he isn't a great competitor.

 

 I was really high on him early in his career and then I remember reading a story about him that kinda' painted him as both not a big details guy about football but a real details guy about the design aspects of his oppulent home.

 

I'm not saying he's not tough or that he isn't pretty good in 4th quarters...........but I think that you can be those things and still be a "want to win" guy rather than a "committed to win" guy.

 

Maybe a change of scenery and going to a place where he knows effort will equal results.......like NE.........would change him.    I hope to not find out.

I personally think he's very good but has simply played for a bad franchise. He's truly elevated that team at times. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I personally think he's very good but has simply played for a bad franchise. He's truly elevated that team at times. 

 

 

When you look at the great stats that's the only conclusion one can make.............but there is something missing there, IMO.

 

He has a good track record for 4th quarter comebacks too......... but I wasn't surprised at all when the Lions came into Buffalo with a great defensive gameplan for Josh Allen and still lost.    

 

I'd be surprised if a team lead by Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger........even Rivers........had come in and lost a game like that to a rookie QB..........it would be memorable..........but with Stafford it's just another W against a losing team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s always hurt though it seems like. He seems like a great guy and everything and has a lot of talent but something just seems to be missing. 

 

The Pats* would teach him how to get away with intentional grounding and hone his simultaneous throw&duck move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

 

When you look at the great stats that's the only conclusion one can make.............but there is something missing there, IMO.

 

He has a good track record for 4th quarter comebacks too......... but I wasn't surprised at all when the Lions came into Buffalo with a great defensive gameplan for Josh Allen and still lost.    

 

I'd be surprised if a team lead by Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger........even Rivers........had come in and lost a game like that to a rookie QB..........it would be memorable..........but with Stafford it's just another W against a losing team.

The Lions lost that game late because their kicker missed a makeable FG. That's always the story with that team - they always have one or more truly gaping flaws, whether it's no credible RB, a terrible secondary, no pass rush, etc. And when I say flaw, I'm talking worst-in-the-league sort of flaw at an important position/set of positions. It's always something, and that's the curse of that franchise.  They get a truly elite player like Suh and let him walk. I mean, wtf? He was DOMINANT there, and has been excellent since he left. When he left, their excellent 2014 D (11-5 that season; robbed by Pete Morelli in the playoffs on call as bad as the NRC one) goes immediately into the tank. You think the Bills consistently make bad decisions regarding personnel and overall team building, but imagine being a Lions fan. 

 

And let's not forget their first round drafting. They did manage to get Stafford, Suh, and Calvin Johnson with top-2 selections, but when they draft outside the top two they're either taking duds or guards/centers. It's mystifying. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/draft.htm

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I personally think he's very good but has simply played for a bad franchise. He's truly elevated that team at times. 

Agree on Stafford, I think he's a solid franchise type QB. I think the Lions suffer from bad luck and questionable coaching more than anything. That roster has a lot more talent than what Patricia has been able to do with it thus far. 

 

This season was Bevell's first, and he had to deal w injuries to QB1 and RB1 installing his system. I think the Lions are going to bounce back next year in a pretty big way.

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We would be so much better with Stafford. Too bad he's never had the necessary talent or coaching to succeed. Imagine what a QB with a 106 passer rating could do for us! Add a couple more weapons and a couple studs on the OL and we'd be as good as any team in the NFL. I see the Lions are denying this, but that doesn't mean that it isn't true. Just don't let him go to NE.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 947 said:

Tua had the same injury as Bo Jackson, and we all know how that turned out. I'd have to think it'll have at least some effect on his long-term mobility, but with all the medical advances, who knows.

Avascular Necrosis. "Death of tissue" due to a loss of blood supply. I haven't seen any mention that Tua had a hip replacement, as Bo Jackson did. If that was the case, Tua can forget about an NFL career, period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

I honestly forgot how good Stafford was this year. In 8 games he threw for 2500 yards and 19 TDs and 8.6 yards per attempt.

 

 

 

I noticed.  I think it was 2018, Matt came into camp and he had leaned out.  No more baby fat face, he finally began taking his fitness seriously and the results showed. 

 

He's only 31.  He and Golloday are going to tear the league up next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

We would be so much better with Stafford. Too bad he's never had the necessary talent or coaching to succeed. Imagine what a QB with a 106 passer rating could do for us! Add a couple more weapons and a couple studs on the OL and we'd be as good as any team in the NFL. I see the Lions are denying this, but that doesn't mean that it isn't true. Just don't let him go to NE.

 

It might be cheaper to just get Stafford's skill players.  I saw some nice plays by the WR's on the video.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s actually not the same as Bo Jackson situation because Bo attempted to play through the injury and that is what ended his career. Bo didn’t know his injury was severe & kept playing on it, causing irreparable damage. Tua had successful surgery in November with full recovery expected and he’s on track for that based on reports. Bo’s career ended from hip fracture/dislocation that lead to avascular necrosis. Tua only had the fracture which was immediately operated on. Again, what the public knows and what the teams know could end up being different and where he is drafted could end up revealing that. 
 

As this is starting to be discussed out there apparently the cap savings is negative due to dead cap at least this year so probably  won’t happen for $ reasons. But they probably would like to. 

 

I guess I would want to know how likely the issue is to re-occur...like is the hip permanently weakened so that its more likely to happen again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gordio said:

 

 

There is no food for thought here.  As Bill Polian once referenced something similar to the great Jim Kelly "Josh Allen is our Quarterback, if you don't like it you could get out of town."  

 

Although you live in Tampa so that wouldn't really apply to you.   


Gordio, I didn’t say do it.  I said if you weren’t listening, hear are some points to consider, and I like Josh, but playing an Aaron Rodgers role isn’t the worst thing for him.  I think Josh should develop, but Stafford would be an immediate upgrade in this now league.  I don’t care either way, and to ask me to leave Buffalo is silly.  I guess you’re not tolerant of even the softest opposing position.  Don’t worry, no matter what you say, I will not respond to you as it is childish.  Most posters don’t make things personal.  So enjoy you’re week and have a Happy Valentine’s Day with you’re significant other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allen and our 2nd for Stafford and Golladay?  Super bowl?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt Patricia isn't going to do anything productive in Detroit.   They prize consistency and longevity over results.  

 

Matt Stafford isn't the problem there.  Much like every one of their vehicles except the F-150, Ford is ruthlessly consistent at making a mediocre product, hiring mediocre FO and coaching talent to ultimately shape a mediocre product.  

 

I've never seen an organization so committed to being "ok".  

 

 

Edited by dpberr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Greg S said:

 

Is Tua healthy? That injury he suffered this past season looked pretty bad. I know some team will take a chance (Dolphins) on him but how healthy is he?

Wasn’t it the Bo Jackson bad/rare hip injury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is another wild A$# rumor making the rounds on Detroit sports talk radio today (take it for whatever that is worth!) that the Lions are talking to the Bills and others about acquiring CB Darius Slay for a 2nd, 5th and another mid-round pick to be named later. Slay is unhappy in Detroit playing for Patricia. A top notch CB, but his contract is coming to an end and he is looking for "elite" money from the Lions. No way the Bills tie that kind of money up with him and give Tre'Davious White the money he will command/deserve.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

 

I guess I would want to know how likely the issue is to re-occur...like is the hip permanently weakened so that its more likely to happen again?

The teams will get all that in the next month. Not sure how much of it will be leaked. a big concern with him injury wise is he has two glass ankles 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Avascular Necrosis. "Death of tissue" due to a loss of blood supply. I haven't seen any mention that Tua had a hip replacement, as Bo Jackson did. If that was the case, Tua can forget about an NFL career, period.

He didn’t. Tua had a hip fracture that was repaired. It was not the same injury Bo had, which was not only a dislocation in addition to a fracture but something he played with instead of having surgery which led to the AVN.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

There is another wild A$# rumor making the rounds on Detroit sports talk radio today (take it for whatever that is worth!) that the Lions are talking to the Bills and others about acquiring CB Darius Slay for a 2nd, 5th and another mid-round pick to be named later. Slay is unhappy in Detroit playing for Patricia. A top notch CB, but his contract is coming to an end and he is looking for "elite" money from the Lions. No way the Bills tie that kind of money up with him and give Tre'Davious White the money he will command/deserve.

 

People love to talk about what would work for "our team" (getting 3 draft picks for a guy who wants paid and we won't re-sign anyway) without thinking about what would work for "their team" (the trade partner).

 

Same thing when we talk about acquiring Golladay by trade with a year left on a rookie contract.  Great move for us, crap move for them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean he’s the face of the franchise but it makes too much sense. They’re clearly never gonna win as is so send him to a good team. Would he go for 2 first rounders?  That plus tua is a start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He didn’t. Tua had a hip fracture that was repaired. It was not the same injury Bo had, which was not only a dislocation in addition to a fracture but something he played with instead of having surgery which led to the AVN.

Not the same injury. That's what I thought. Bo's last game was against Cincy, I believe, and everyone expected him to play @ the '90 AFC Championship game in Buffalo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Not the same injury. That's what I thought. Bo's last game was against Cincy, I believe, and everyone expected him to play @ the '90 AFC Championship game in Buffalo.

 

 

Yep we thought it was all a bunch of BS..........it didn't look like a bad injury and the details about how bad it was came out long after the season............maybe not until spring training with the Royals.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Augie said:

 

The Pats* would teach him how to get away with intentional grounding and hone his simultaneous throw&duck move. 

Ah, the good old chuck and duck.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...