Florio on DP show: Dolphins owner Stephen Ross wants Joe Burrow and has the draft capital to make it happen

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Very interesting audio. Miami has 3 1st rounders and sits at 5. Apparently Stephen Ross is enamored with taking Burrow. Could trade all to Cincy for the 1st pick and Cincy could just take Herbert at 5. Add to that the rumors that Burrow does not want to go to the Bengals. He is training with Jordan Palmer and Carson has been very vocal lately about why he wanted out of the Bengals organization and they weren’t committed to winning a SB. Maybe the Bengals don’t take him if his agent makes an issue out of it, and take another one of the top QBs instead while collecting all the picks. 

The fundamental issue here is that the Bengals are in the driver's seat.

Unless they want to trade, if the Bengals want Burrow there's nothing Miami can do about it.

8 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

I am so happy Fitz was on that team now they need to package all those picks for the QB they want muhahahaha. They will still have so many hole it will kill the QBs development.

Yes, I said at the time they signed him "well, there goes their tank!"

To be honest I’m not sold on Burrow. He had a hell

of a year don’t get me wrong but I just don’t see it for him. I think Cincinnati is the worst place for a QB like him to go to

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Tua will be gone at 3. Someone trades with Detroit 

Probably Miami. They’re really the only team everyone has him going to. I heard the raiders but we all know Gruden is scared shitless on drafting QBS lol

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Isn’t Cincy basically Kentucky as well? Just a decent 3 wood away after all. 

That’s what I meant. He’s not from Cincy, which is basically Kentucky. He’s from SE Ohio, a good two hours away. He wouldn’t have grown up a Bengals fan or anything most likely. I know he’s a huge Cavs fan. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s what I meant. He’s not from Cincy, which is basically Kentucky. He’s from SE Ohio, a good two hours away. He wouldn’t have grown up a Bengals fan or anything most likely. I know he’s a huge Cavs fan. 

I totally misread that, Yolo. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

The Bengals would be fools to trade that pick and the Dolphins as well for giving up all of that capital.  If they believe Tua is healthy then get him and build up the rest of the team. 

The thing is, Miami picks at #5.

Even if we stipulate that Washington (which just held a "changing of the guard") is satisfied with their QB situation and will not pull a Cardinals-like move of drafting a QB two years in a row and that Detroit has no interest in drafting a replacement for the 32 year old Matt Stafford - and I'm not sure either is 100% off the table - there's nothing to say that Washington at #2, Detroit at #3, and the Giants at #4 won't answer the phone and entertain offers.

The Bengals would move from being in the driver's seat, to hoping no one who drafts ahead of them will sell.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Who won this trade? From the NY Times in 1983:

John Elway, the Stanford University quarterback who insisted he would not play for the Baltimore Colts when they made him the first pick in the National Football League draft last week, was traded last night to the Denver Broncos.

In exchange for Elway, the Colts received Chris Hinton, the offensive guard from Northwestern who was the Broncos' first pick in the draft and the fourth player taken over all; Mark Herrmann, a quarterback from Purdue who has played three seasons with the Broncos; and the Broncos' first-round draft choice in 1984.

Quarterbacks always go earlier than people think in January/Feb. 

I remember the back page of the NY Post the day after the Colts sent Elway to Denver.  The headline said GRAND THEFT ELWAY

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Very interesting audio. Miami has 3 1st rounders and sits at 5. Apparently Stephen Ross is enamored with taking Burrow. Could trade all to Cincy for the 1st pick and Cincy could just take Herbert at 5. Add to that the rumors that Burrow does not want to go to the Bengals. He is training with Jordan Palmer and Carson has been very vocal lately about why he wanted out of the Bengals organization and they weren’t committed to winning a SB. Maybe the Bengals don’t take him if his agent makes an issue out of it, and take another one of the top QBs instead while collecting all the picks. 

Wow, Carson Palmer has some big balls still harping on the Bengals over how they called his bluff when he said he was retiring, like a baby, after 2010 ("I have 80 million in the bank").  Two winning seasons.  They went to the playoffs 5 years in a row after he was traded to Oakland.

Anyway...Not even the Brown family could screw this up.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Guys, the Dolphins have Rosen so I doubt they pick a QB.

Ross yammering on about how he'd trade three #1s for Burrows is not exactly enhancing the market value for Rosen. Only a dolt would talk down his own roster. One thing is certain - the Dolphins are much closer to being a winner than the Bengals.

What Ross did here was calculated.  Set the bar to either scare other teams, or see what others are willing to give up.

The thing is, if you want the guy, go get him.  Coulda tanked for him, but have to deal with the situation they are in.

The phins need to jettison some of those first round picks.  Imagine the cap dollars If all 5 of those players hit, assuming one of them is a QB.