Mouse repellent spray for car engines?

GG

1 hour ago, GG said:

Unfortunately, the food source is the plastic around the plug wires.  For whatever reason mice love the stuff.  Add the cover and warmth in winter time, under the hood is an awesome place to nest.

I've been reading more into this, and now car companies are introducing more organic matter into car parts, and that turns the engine compartment into a verifiable buffet.  I've seen pictures of entire components eaten away!   Insane. 

Fun fact: some years ago the powers that be at the wire manufacturing plants decided to switch from plastic coating to a corn or soybean-based covering, apparently in an effort to cut costs. The unfortunate side effect being that the wires became irresistible to rodents who started chewing through wires across the country.

This was told to me by an old timer in our area who was doing some work on our equipment...all the stuff from the 80s and 90s was having electrical issues lmfao and the older tractors were fine. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Fun fact: some years ago the powers that be at the wire manufacturing plants decided to switch from plastic coating to a corn or soybean-based covering, apparently in an effort to cut costs. The unfortunate side effect being that the wires became irresistible to rodents who started chewing through wires across the country.

This was told to me by an old timer in our area who was doing some work on our equipment...all the stuff from the 80s and 90s was having electrical issues lmfao and the older tractors were fine. 

Interesting... For vehicles. But older stuff didn't have as much wiring.

Here... Residential is EMT conduit (which acts as mechanical ground). Whips (I wanna say NEC code is >4'?) have to be BX armor... Metal boxes, etc... No Romex.  Rodents can't chew through metal... And if wires go bad, can be re-pulled.  Now... In Indiana , Romex is okay... Same with pex plumbing... Here, it has to be copper plumbing.

Our wiring at work isn't thermoplastic... 480v... Thick rubber and cloth. Big cables not in conduit.  Built in 1960. It's starting to go... Some under rodent attack... Will get a hell of an arc if they get through

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Best of luck with this.  When we lived in Seattle, went on a trip, and came back to discover mice had chewed on the engine wires on my wife's car, that was left in the garage.  We had maybe 4 cats, at the time, and their litter boxes were all in the garage.  Didn't mean anything!  Had to replace the engine wiring harness.  It was cheaper to do that than track down all the broken wires.

4 hours ago, GG said:

Here's one story - soybean byproduct is the main culprit.

Yup, going the old fashioned route of placing traps near the wheels, and spraying under hood with vinegar/peppermint oil solution.  Also, appears Irish Spring soap also works well.   We'll see.

Could you do the spray thing and leave the car outside of the garage, and set the traps inside the garage?

I think I’d try that.

Or...keep the car running in the garage for awhile.  Maybe you’ll aspxyiate them.

Edited by snafu

My buddy has 12 cars and lives in the sticks. All his cars are in garages or pull barn. He uses fabric softener dryer sheets, puts them on the engine. He also places those cakes that are used in urinals around the floor. The dryer sheets are a repellent, the urine cakes are poison. DON'T USE THE CAKES IF YOU HAVE PETS AROUND, they're sweet and your pets will eat them.

Edited by Steve O

On 2/1/2020 at 10:33 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This thread is going to be epic ?

Mice don’t like moth testicles?

Mice are stupid. They don’t know what they’re missing. Considered a delicacy in Patriots* territory. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I got some squirrels to stop coming into my garage by putting rags soaked in vinegar near where I thought they were hiding.  I don’t know if correlation implies causation or not, but they stopped coming in. 

My MIL had mice chew through some wire near the fuel injectors on her car engine.  The car ran rough until it was fixed.  $300 to fix it because the wire was buried under the fuel injectors and other stuff on the top of the engine.  

I had skunks living under my shed.  I soaked tennis balls in ammonia, then (from a distance) rolled them under the shed.  Apparently, the ammonia smell makes the skunks think that another animal has been there and "marked its turf."  Then they pack up and move the fam to somewhere safer.

I'm not sure if something along these lines would deter mice, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/31/2020 at 2:18 PM, GG said:

The little critters love my garage, but they love the engine compartments much more.  For a second time, they chewed through plug wires and caused serious damage.   Dealers suggest putting in dryer sheets under the hood and I see Amazon sells rodent repellents that I may try.

Anyone else have good home remedies, other than getting a cat to live under the hood.

Peppermint oil

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

This was my car, after being parked for about two weeks at work while I was out of town. I forgot the actual code it was throwing, I think it was an ABS or tranny issue code. 

IMG_5954.JPG

IMG_5955.JPG

When they wrote the error codes, I dont think this was in the list of failure modes.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

This was my car, after being parked for about two weeks at work while I was out of town. I forgot the actual code it was throwing, I think it was an ABS or tranny issue code. 

Well at least your tranny was okay!

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

IMG_5954.JPG

IMG_5955.JPG

Damn Toyotas... Biggest car company in world, everybody loves them... Even the critters! 

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I had skunks living under my shed.  I soaked tennis balls in ammonia, then (from a distance) rolled them under the shed.  Apparently, the ammonia smell makes the skunks think that another animal has been there and "marked its turf."  Then they pack up and move the fam to somewhere safer.

I'm not sure if something along these lines would deter mice, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for the safety tip!  A shed you can run away from.  Driving 65mph (legal of course, I never cheat: @Mike in Horseheads) You got nowhere to go when you hit the windshield wipers!

Let me clarify:

"Put a little ammonia in your windshield wiper fluid", a co-worker told me. "It will never freeze."  I guess I put little too much, I almost gassed myself to death.  Put on the squirters and defroster... BOOM!  It was like I was driving through Bhopal, India, 1984... /smh 

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thanks for the safety tip!  A shed you can run away from.  Driving 65mph (legal of course, I never cheat: @Mike in Horseheads) You got nowhere to go when you hit the windshield wipers!

Let me clarify:

"Put a little ammonia in your windshield fluid", a co-worker told me. "It will never freeze."  I guess I put little too much, I almost gassed myself to death.  Put on the squirters and defroster... BOOM!  It was like I was driving through Bhopal, India, 1984... /smh 

Put some bleach AND ammonia in next time and call 911

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/31/2020 at 2:18 PM, GG said:

The little critters love my garage, but they love the engine compartments much more.  For a second time, they chewed through plug wires and caused serious damage.   Dealers suggest putting in dryer sheets under the hood and I see Amazon sells rodent repellents that I may try.

Anyone else have good home remedies, other than getting a cat to live under the hood.

Whatever you choose make sure it's good, cause, if this mouse shows up your ass is grass.

https://videos.metro.co.uk/video/met/2020/01/31/3505218611716798056/960x540_MP4_3505218611716798056.mp4