Can Tasker still make the HOF?

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Best at what, though?  How many Bills victories can one look back on and say, "damn, if it wasn't for Tasker, we'd have lost that one?"

This video alone shows:

7 batted punts 2 for a td and 1 for a safety. How many of those have we seen in the last 15 years?

5 strip tackles. How many of those have we seen the last 15 years?

Half dozen huge tackles on punt returns.

3 wr TDs and a few great tackles. 

I think it is commonplace to forget what his contribution to ST meant to the team those years. I also forgot how beat up the punters got into those years.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Best at what, though?  How many Bills victories can one look back on and say, "damn, if it wasn't for Tasker, we'd have lost that one?"

Actually, quite a few. I can only assume that either you are too young to remember watching the 90s team live, or if you are old enough, then somehow your memory is failing you. Tasker made a huge number of momentum-changing and game-changing plays that helped the team win games. Just watch his highlights videos on youtube. Just as Bruce always seemed to be able to come up with a big sack in crunch time (to get the ball back for his offense or to seal a game), Tasker's plays often happened at critical junctures in games too---opening kickoffs that set the tone of the game, late in games when the team just needed someone to make a big play and he blocks a punt or makes a punt returner fumble the ball, etc. 

Also, many fans underestimate the value of field position in football, but it is a HUGE part of the game and Tasker was as important to that as say a great punter (Guy) or a great returner. His open-field tackles on All-Pro returners (like Deion Sanders, etc.) wouldn't just hurt the opponents field position, but they would fire up the crowd and his teammates. And he blocked punts (some which resulted in TDs or at least set the offense up on short fields), he created turnovers and at least one safety, he returned kicks and punts (when they needed him too), and was pretty good at WR when given a chance. In one week's time, in 1993, he blocked a punt in the Super Bowl and then a field goal in the Pro Bowl. 

The great players from that 90s team, the Hall of Famers, have a tight  circle of friendship. Why do you think Tasker is in that select group with Bruce, Thurman, Jim, Andre, etc. It is because they thought of him on the same level as themselves, as far as greatness and importance to that team. They all believe he deserves to be in the Hall.

He made 7 Pro Bowls and 12 times was 1st team ALL Pro. The only special teamer to ever win the MVP in a Pro Bowl (1993).

To dismiss his Hall-of-Fame worthiness so cavalierly, without even a debate, seems a bit short-sighted, if not disrespectful to what Tasker gave and meant to this team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't think we win the 1993 Divisional game vs the Raiders (one of the coldest games on record) without Taskers kick return, which was truly a remarkable play. We had been shut down on offense prior to that occurring and still needed a lead changing 4th quarter TD to win.

While you can't credit him for this as far as the hall is concerned, I wonder what his fate would have been if he played more WR. All reports from that era from offensive players said Tasker was one of the hardest guys to cover, he was always open. He started 8 games in two of his last three seasons at 33 and 34 years old. 41 catches, 627 yards, 6 TD's. He might have made a great WR, we will never know.

We do know he is the most respected special teams defender of all time. Hidden yardage is similar to defensive ability in baseball. You don't naturally think in baseball how much value in runs saved defense brings, but in many cases it's substantial. Yards saved has proven to be just as substantial in football. I'm sure if you could measure yards saved, Taskers overall contribution in yards saved should land him in the hall. He should have a good chance of getting in but based on what you said it likely never happens. 

Edited by KzooMike

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Lynn Swann was a great player, but if you look at his numbers now, especially in light of today’s game, his stats look very pedestrian. BUT, he DID have a highlight reel catch in a Super Bowl that I remember to this day, and I’m not a Steelers fan. 

Swann might be the worst pick ever for the HOF.  His numbers aren't good even compared to his contemporaries, never mind modern players.   Hell, they don't look good compared to his teammate John Stallworth.   Frank Gifford had more receiving yards than Swann and he played in the '50s....and was a running back!

Swann is only in because the Steelers won 4 rings and he made a couple good catches in one of those games.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Cornelius Bennett should get in well before Steve Tasker.  Two time defensive player of the year, five pro bowls, and on the 90's all decade team.

Two time defensive player of the year?  Does madden count now?

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

If that is truly the requirement to get into the HOF, we should kick out any offensive lineman.  Tasker has made more of a difference in games than any of them.

To the OP's original question, this was Tasker's last year of eligibility in the normal selection process as he retired more than 25 years ago now. He can be voted in as a senior member, but the road is much harder:

HOF Selection Process

"To be eligible for the nominating process, a player or coach must have been retired for at least five years. Any other contributor such as a team owner or executive can be voted in at any time.[12]

Fans may nominate any player, coach or contributor by simply writing via letter or email to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Selection Committee is then polled three times by mail (once in March, once in September, and once in October) to eventually narrow the list to 25 semifinalists. In November, the committee then selects 15 finalists by mail balloting. A Seniors and Contributors Committee, subcommittees of the overall Selection Committee, nominate Seniors (those players who completed their careers more than 25 years ago) and Contributors (individuals who made contributions to the game in areas other than playing or coaching). The Seniors Committee and Contributors Committee add two or one finalist(s) on alternating years which makes a final ballot of 18 finalists under consideration by the full committee each year.[12] Committee members are instructed to only consider a candidate's professional football contributions and to disregard all other factors.[13]

The Selection Committee then meets on "Selection Saturday," the day before each Super Bowl game to elect a new class. To be elected, a finalist must receive at least 80 percent support from the Board, with at least four, but no more than eight, candidates being elected annually."

So, Tasker could still get in, but the odds are now really stacked against him since the Seniors committee only add 1 or 2 names every alternating year. So, first he would have to be picked by the seniors committee as 1 or 2 players from every player who has ever played but is not in the Hall.  And if they selected him, he would then have to compete with the other 15 more recent players (whose careers ended less than 25 years ago) and get 80% of the vote. I think there will have to be an upswelling of sentiment for special teams play and/or for the Hall having overlooked special teams all these years for Tasker to get in going forward. And who knows if that will ever happen. But I would still love to see it and believe he deserves it.

15 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

yes he does. he changed the game. regardless of official position

You just beat me to it.  The voters, a couple on NFLR state to get in you should have as an attribute who changed the game.  Well, he accomplished that in my eyes, and next year, he starts to be in the Senior category as it will be 25 years post, which makes me feel old.  I’ve said before, now that they put in so many this year, his chances go up.  You know Polian, and Vic will be lobbying hard.  Polian has a lot of pull in that room.  It’s too as Felzer passed, god rest his soul, as he was so influential in the voting process.  I miss that guy and his Sunday articles.  He was really close with my Dad as my father worked at the news for 44 years, and that as I was working there for college, I used to see him all the time, and was always very nice to me.

Tasker always says the right thing on this topic on his WGR show, but I’m sure he privately is disappointed each year he doesn’t get voted in to the HOF.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RangerDave said:

If that is truly the requirement to get into the HOF, we should kick out any offensive lineman.  Tasker has made more of a difference in games than any of them.

Here's a crazy fact that I just discovered after reading your post:  offensive linemen dominate Canton:

46 OL

38 DL

30 LB

30 DB

32 RB/FB

27 WR

26 QB

9 TE

4 PK

1 P

Games are won and lost in the trenches.

18 hours ago, njbuff said:

That's tough.

He was the very best at what he did, but a guy like Bennie Thompson was right there as a STer too.

Bennie Thompson was great and frankly he cant hold Tasker's jock.

Impact on a game HUGE- yes game planning for a gunner ? as Parcells said hes the only one

If you to young to remember him you cant grasp his impact on stats like an offensive player

I think he'll get in on the veterans committee who have a better understanding of the overall game. The voters now seem to punch numbers in and it spits out HOF or not. Eli 7th all time in passing yards = gotta be a hall of famer       hes a .500 qb in his career with a kick ass defense  "he"  won 2 super bowls forced to score atleast 8 points in both super bowls winning them 13-7...14-7 nice D Eli