The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

6 minutes ago, TH3 said:

And right on cue....when presented with actual ideals and positions....the regulars break down to name calling

I briefly had a sliver of hope for Mannc, so gave it a shot. I have no hope for you. ***** off.

Edited by 32ABBA

16 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

You're too much of an idiot to bicker with.

And this sort of childishness is why I’ve largely remained over at the Stadium Wall.  Although I must say, I have been pleased to find there are some very thoughtful contributors over here, on both sides of the aisle.  You’re just not one of them.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

And this sort of childishness is why I’ve largely remained over at the Stadium Wall.  Although I must say, I have been pleased to find there are some very thoughtful contributors over here, on both sides of the aisle.  You’re just not one of them.  

I don't care if you stay or go.

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

Hopefully you do stick around.  This place is better when there's more than just Doc Brown and TPS expressing points coherently from a liberal point of view.

• Like (+1) 4

Bill Gates: State-by-state shutdown won't work

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation co-founder Bill Gates says that the US should shutdown the entire country for a short period of time to control the spread of the coronavirus and predicts that the number of cases will peak in late April.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2020/03/27/bill-gates-coronavirus-town-hall-shutdown-april-peak-sot-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/cnn-coronavirus-town-hall/

Gates is the real deal stable genius

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hopefully you do stick around.  This place is better when there's more than just Doc Brown and TPS expressing points coherently from a liberal point of view.

Don't fret, he's not going anywhere, just a drama queen.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GG said:

That he's not as rich as he pretends to be.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Probably.

And of course, he should be expected to expose his finances to the wolves that surround him.

Brilliant, sensible, reasonable and mature thinking. 

Edited by 32ABBA

4 minutes ago, ALF said:

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation co-founder Bill Gates says that the US should shutdown the entire country for a short period of time to control the spread of the coronavirus and predicts that the number of cases will peak in late April.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2020/03/27/bill-gates-coronavirus-town-hall-shutdown-april-peak-sot-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/cnn-coronavirus-town-hall/

Sorry, Bill Gates lost me the second he began by, essentially, relying on information from China, about what went on in China, as honest, accurate, and the model to replicate....

He's a hell of a businessman; however, I'm not sure when he acquired the expertise in how to handle a medical emergency.

Of course, Bill Gates could be isolated for the rest of his life and live just fine from an economic perspective. The vast majority of us do not have that luxury.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Sorry, Bill Gates lost me the second he began by, essentially, relying on information from China, about what went on in China, as honest, accurate, and the model to replicate....

He's a hell of a businessman; however, I'm not sure when he acquired the expertise in how to handle a medical emergency.

Of course, Bill Gates could be isolated for the rest of his life and live just fine from an economic perspective. The vast majority of us do not have that luxury.

Especially since China never shut the entire country down.

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Gates is a very smart guy and he’s spent a lot of time (and money) on public health issues, so he is to be taken seriously on this topic.  But you make some good points here.

52 minutes ago, mannc said:

The fact that Trump has been extensively investigated does not make him “transparent.”  He has stonewalled every investigation (largely successfully) and is going all the way to the Supreme Court to prevent us from seeing his tax returns.  What is he hiding?

And yes, he seems unhealthy.  

Specifically with regard to his tax returns from before he was president, I couldn’t care less what he is or isn’t hiding. It’s his prerogative to release them or not. The money he made as a private citizen is none of my damn business, and frankly it disgusts me that so many people feel he should be compelled to release them. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hedge said:

As long as you take him with a large, full, bucket of salt, perhaps.

Oh, and from his Twitter bio: "Former Medicare, Medicaid, ACA head for Obama."

This bold statement has been proven false:

And a screen shot of it, should it get deleted (he's been called out on it by numerous people already, yet it's still there):

image.thumb.png.06b8f1088a3b85eb28fb795a6f079ab1.png

-----------------

Below pertains to the form he mentioned in his tweet:

may 

What you've posted doesn't prove his statement was false.  They admit they crafted a policy, which indicates they may have to ration care.  He stated they are  passing out forms.  They stated they have not had to implement it at this time.  That does not mean they were not handing out the forms; it means they have not used the policy yet.

8 hours ago, mannc said:

Well, we can argue about what "exponential" means, but it's hard to tell what to make of 82,000 "cases".  What is a case?  Is it defined the same from state to state and country to country?  Does it mean positive tests?  If so, it's not very meaningful since many who test positive exhibit few or no symptoms. 

Here in Oregon, they have performed 7,300 tests.  Of all those tests, which are probably given mainly to people exhibiting symptoms, there have been only 316 positives, which is the number the state uses for CV19 "cases".  (It's incredible to me that the percentage testing positive is so low.)  But of those 319 positives, there have been only 90 hospitalizations and 11 deaths (all over 63 years old and all with pre-existing conditions) across the entire state.  (It's not clear how many of those 90 were already hospitalized or in nursing homes before they contracted the disease.)  If the same ratios apply to the national number of "cases" that should mean only about 23,000 hospitalizations nationwide.  That's not a huge number and it should be nowhere near enough to inundate emergency rooms and ICU units around the country.  As the numbers begin to flatten in NY,  it's becoming clear that this is not going to look anything like some of the doomsday predictions.        

Exponential means the rate of infection doubles every 3 days.

For example, 3 days ago there were about 8,000 new cases. 

Yesterday there was over 17,000 new cases.

As the numbers go up, hospitals become overwhelmed. Some hospitals across the North Eastern US are now at capacity. They're out of beds. 

Keep in mind that many of these new cases are just beginning to show symptoms. Some of them will get much worse, and as that happens the lack of space in ICUs and access to ventilators will become critical.

Once you make it to an ICU, you cannot survive without a ventilator. When they run out of ventilators, that's when people start being left to die in the hallways, as has been the case in Italy. 

Just now, mannc said:

Gates is a very smart guy and he’s spent a lot of time (and money) on public health issues, so he is to be taken seriously on this topic.  But you make some good points here.

I like Bill Gates and I respect him. He spends a lot of time and money on public health issues from a philanthropic perspective, which is to be respected, commended, and held up as an example; however, in no way makes him qualified to speak to this.

The fact that he was completely wrong about what happened in China as a basis for his assertion is proof enough this is not his arena.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

He's obese, can't read a teleprompter, had a health scare in December he has yet to disclose, and feeds on fast food and diet coke. It's okay to call #OrangeManBad unhealthy.

I know of an unscheduled physical that showed he was healthy and thus doesn't require disclosure to the Gary Busey's of the world. Please provide a link of this "health scare" that isn't just total conjecture from the frothing at the mouth media. Thanks.

Also, doesn't ≠ can't. 

The lockdown  was draconian and worked before it could spread to the rest of China

The Chinese province of Hubei, where the coronavirus pandemic began, will on Wednesday begin allowing most of its 60 million residents to leave, ending nearly two months of lockdown and sending a strong signal of the government’s confidence that its tough measures have worked to control the outbreak.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/world/asia/china-coronavirus-lockdown-hubei.html     March 24 article 

It's too late to contain the virus in just one section of the US at this point    jmo

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Exponential means the rate of infection doubles every 3 days.

For example, 3 days ago there were about 8,000 new cases. 

Yesterday there was over 17,000 new cases.

As the numbers go up, hospitals become overwhelmed. Some hospitals across the North Eastern US are now at capacity. They're out of beds. 

Keep in mind that many of these new cases are just beginning to show symptoms. Some of them will get much worse, and as that happens the lack of space in ICUs and access to ventilators will become critical.

Once you make it to an ICU, you cannot survive without a ventilator. When they run out of ventilators, that's when people start being left to die in the hallways, as has been the case in Italy. 

Serious question: In what way do you think it is helpful to constantly proclaim people are going to be left in the hallways to die or any of the other worst case scenario claims in your posts throughout this thread?

It is an honest question. How do you think it is helpful and what actual, on the ground data in this country right now are you using to predict people are not going to be able to have a bed and a ventilator if they need it?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday that his stay-at-home order for the entirety of New York State was “probably not the best public health strategy.”

In a press conference in Albany, Cuomo said the smartest way forward would be a public health strategy that complemented a “get-back-to-work strategy.”

“What we did was we closed everything down. That was our public health strategy. Just close everything, all businesses, old workers, young people, old people, short people, tall people,” said Cuomo. “Every school closed, everything.”

“If you rethought that or had time to analyze that public health strategy, I don't know that you would say quarantine everyone,” Cuomo admitted. “I don't even know that that was the best public health policy. Young people then quarantined with older people was probably not the best public health strategy because the younger people could have been exposing the older people to an infection. “

Cuomo stressed the need for both public health and economic growth. “We have to do both,” said the governor. “We’re working on it.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cuomo-closing-all-businesses-keeping-everyone-home-not-best-public-health-strategy

I wonder how many people will be screaming about Cuomo wanting to sacrifice the vulnerable for the sake of the economy....

You don’t see the difference between his approach and Trump’s? 

13 minutes ago, ALF said:

The lockdown  was draconian and worked before it could spread to the rest of China

The Chinese province of Hubei, where the coronavirus pandemic began, will on Wednesday begin allowing most of its 60 million residents to leave, ending nearly two months of lockdown and sending a strong signal of the government’s confidence that its tough measures have worked to control the outbreak.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/world/asia/china-coronavirus-lockdown-hubei.html     March 24 article 

It's too late to contain the virus in just one section of the US at this point    jmo

Yup, it’s going to roll right though the whole country slowly 

12 minutes ago, ALF said:

If it is, it's because China initially hid the virus and let its people, many who were infected, to spread this scourge throughout this world. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

And right on cue....when presented with actual ideals and positions....the regulars break down to name calling

Are you ever going to apologize to this board for your assertion that our President advised people to ingest Chloroquine Phosphate? You know, fish tank cleaner?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Same back at ya. Trump obviously wants to push the workers back to work, Cuomo has a much more wait and see approach, but you know that 

That’s correct Tibs. Both points are true and both approaches have validity. And...Both can exist at the same time. They actually do now! No matter what the media wants to tell you, we are NOT in a total lock down. It’s all just a question of relativity. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Same back at ya. Trump obviously wants to push the workers back to work, Cuomo has a much more wait and see approach, but you know that 

I like a good debate, but only if you are going to be intellectually consistent. Strip away the political interpretations of what each wants and you will find the same thing: They both want to fight the virus while not sacrificing the econmony in the process. If you say anything different you are simply speaking from a perspective of what you want to believe. 

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

I like a good debate, but only if you are going to be intellectually consistent. Strip away the political interpretations of what each wants and you will find the same thing: They both want to fight the virus while not sacrificing the econmony in the process. If you say anything different you are simply speaking from a perspective of what you want to believe. 

Has Cuomo said Easter was a good time to go back?

Just now, Tiberius said:

Has Cuomo said Easter was a good time to go back?

You are a smart guy; however, this is why any attempt at a real debate with you quickly ends. You have an inability to set aside your complete hatred of Trump and have an honest discussion. 

55 minutes ago, ALF said:

There are so many things wrong with Gates' proposal I don't know where to begin but will try anyways.  Everybody talks about unemployment benefits but that is not a limitless fund and not able to weather a once in 100 years very hard down turn as it is.  I don't know all the fine print in the 2T stimulus package but that needs to be addressed for those who have households that need more than 1,200 dollars per adult and 500 dollars per child to stay solvent on.  Guys who made it big on a narrow area of expertise trying to throw their weight around on things they know nothing about will be the end of us all.

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You are a smart guy; however, this is why any attempt at a real debate with you quickly ends. You have an inability to set aside your complete hatred of Trump and have an honest discussion. 

No, it's your blind loyalty to Trump that gets in the way to have an honest debate. You can't criticize Trump at all 

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Well said. The entire country is pulling together. People are generally complying with instructions as best they can. Local, State and Federal officials are all working together. And yet, the worthless media and free loading haters want to dump on the fireman who’s come to put out their house! It’s sad on so many levels. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I wonder what Cuomo saw when he waited on NYC, while establishing a containment zone in  New Rochelle just a few miles away? 

I'm uncertain if it was a revenue play, if DiBlasio has more juice locally, or a miscalculation in allowing the residents to keep doing their thing. 

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I wonder what Cuomo saw when he waited on NYC, while establishing a containment zone in  New Rochelle just a few miles away? 

I'm uncertain if it was a revenue play, if DiBlasio has more juice locally, or a miscalculation in allowing the residents to keep doing their thing. 

What are you trying to say here?