The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, Gary Busey said:

He's obese, can't read a teleprompter, had a health scare in December he has yet to disclose, and feeds on fast food and diet coke. It's okay to call #OrangeManBad unhealthy.

So based on this 90% of the country is unhealthy. Thanks for you diagnosis doctor. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

No, it's your blind loyalty to Trump that gets in the way to have an honest debate. You can't criticize Trump at all 

It would be interesting to go back over this space (since his election) to see if any of the Trump cult at PPP have ever criticized him....

3 minutes ago, TPS said:

It would be interesting to go back over this space (since his election) to see if any of the Trump cult at PPP have ever criticized him....

It would also be interesting to go back through and determine if the TDS cult ever looked at anything Trump has done since his election that wasn't a civilization ending crisis...

• Like (+1) 4

38 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

What are you trying to say here? 

You said Cuomo is taking a wait and see approach.  I wonder if, after taking a wait and see approach to a highly transmittable virus in/around one of the largest cities in the world, in retrospect he wishes he had been much more aggressive in his approach. Given that the state established a quarantine zone in a suburb a few miles away, and given that travel back and forth to/from New Rochelle and Westchester/Rockland/Putnam counties and NYC is a way of life for many, he regrets not being much more proactive in establishing a zone around NYC. 

Finally, I wonder if his decision was impacted by Mayor DiBlasio, his views, and the relative power over the voting block and city that he represents.  Something as simple as "Andy, these are your people, many could tell you every streetside deli from Brooklyn to Bensonhurat but couldn't point to  Buffalo on a map. You shut this city down and the "$#!! hits the fan and political fallout is massive".

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TPS said:

A long search in vain, I'd guess. When you said the NFL season might be impacted I thought that was sort of crazy, but ya, they are talking about it reappearing. That will stink, especially if Sabres can't play in Fall 

7 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You said Cuomo is taking a wait and see approach.  

I meant with restarting the economy 

If only Trump had listened to the NYC officials early on when the Federal government crafted its response strategy

Sunday, February 2, 2020

CHINATOWN, Manhattan (WABC) -- Despite increasing fears of coronavirus in New York City, the Chinatown Lunar New Year Parade and Festival will go on as scheduled next week.
The parade is scheduled for Feb. 9 at 1 p.m.
Elected officials are urging the public to take normal precautions against illness, but not to let fears concerning coronavirus stop them from participating in the event.

https://abc7ny.com/health/despite-coronavirus-fears-chinatown-parade-to-go-on-as-planned/5898745/ via @ABC7NY

BTW, I recommend people watch the entire news segment

Edited by GG
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

A long search in vain, I'd guess. When you said the NFL season might be impacted I thought that was sort of crazy, but ya, they are talking about it reappearing. That will stink, especially if Sabres can't play in Fall 

I meant with restarting the economy 

Still, NYC represents a big piece of the economic puzzle, jah feel? 

21 minutes ago, TPS said:

Constantly. Which makes very few of us cultish. But you knew that. 

You used to have some credibility with me.  The minute you have a rational conversation with Tibs you lost all semblance of credibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

He appears to be the rare liberal who is willing to actually keep an open mind and will change his mind when presented with facts. In other words, he just may be someone worthy of an actual discussion. 

I missed the second note where @manncmentioned his feelings about Trump and Russia.  I don't understand why someone would feel as he does and still jump the fence to vote for him now given that perspective, but he clearly stated his position and you have to respect that. Sometimes on some issues, theres no common ground to be found. 

30 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It would also be interesting to go back through and determine if the TDS cult ever looked at anything Trump has done since his election that wasn't a civilization ending crisis...

I love that Trump is calling out Tom Massie

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I missed the second note where @manncmentioned his feelings about Trump and Russia.  I don't understand why someone would feel as he does and still jump the fence to vote for him now given that perspective, but he clearly stated his position and you have to respect that. Sometimes on some issues, theres no common ground to be found. 

I think those posts passed each other in the middle of the night. The bias he shows basically comes from the propaganda that has been spread and repeated ad nauseum for years. 

A majority of Americans approve of President Donald Trump's handling of the coronavirus pandemic, according to a new survey, although an even larger number say he acted too slowly to halt to the public health crisis in its early days.

An ABC News/Washington Post poll released on Friday reports that 51 percent of respondents view Trump's management of the outbreak in the United States favorably, with 36 percent approving strongly and 15 percent approving somewhat.

Less than half of those surveyed, 45 percent, gave the president negative marks for his response efforts, with 36 disapproving strongly and 8 disapproving somewhat. Four percent had no opinion.

However, 58 percent of Americans said Trump was initially "too slow to take action to address the problem," while 38 percent said he "acted with the right amount of speed" and 4 percent had no opinion on the issue.

Trump was widely criticized as the deadly outbreak first began spreading in the U.S. for repeatedly minimizing its threat to the country. His administration has struggled to mount a comprehensive testing operation to better thwart the rapid spread of infection.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/poll-majority-approve-trump-coronavirus-response-151393

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I didn't question your credibility, I just didn't know that you were self-quarantining against common sense and rational thought. 

I know you didn't, that was a different response. Sorry 

2 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

I love that Trump is calling out Tom Massie

Good lord, can you imagine the shear number of cut and paste tweets B-Man and DR would be dumping on here if that was Pelosi doing that??? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Tiberius said:

A majority of Americans approve of President Donald Trump's handling of the coronavirus pandemic, according to a new survey, although an even larger number say he acted too slowly to halt to the public health crisis in its early days.

An ABC News/Washington Post poll released on Friday reports that 51 percent of respondents view Trump's management of the outbreak in the United States favorably, with 36 percent approving strongly and 15 percent approving somewhat.

Less than half of those surveyed, 45 percent, gave the president negative marks for his response efforts, with 36 disapproving strongly and 8 disapproving somewhat. Four percent had no opinion.

However, 58 percent of Americans said Trump was initially "too slow to take action to address the problem," while 38 percent said he "acted with the right amount of speed" and 4 percent had no opinion on the issue.

Trump was widely criticized as the deadly outbreak first began spreading in the U.S. for repeatedly minimizing its threat to the country. His administration has struggled to mount a comprehensive testing operation to better thwart the rapid spread of infection.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/poll-majority-approve-trump-coronavirus-response-151393

Last, I looked, Cuomo didn't need Trump's permission to shut down NYC. Perhaps, Cuomo and de Blasio didn't feel the threat was that serious?

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You could out twist a licorice stick and make a pretzel look straight, that is if you had any credibility. Trump closed our borders to China travel a full 6 weeks before Mayor Bill quit telling NYC residents to keep on partying. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

We want Immigrants!!!! Come and save us! 

State Dept. asks the world’s health workers to apply for U.S. visas and waives interview requirement, provoking outrage

NAIROBI — Late Thursday, the State Department posted a request on its website and on Twitter to “encourage medical professionals seeking work in the U.S. on a work or exchange visitor visa (H or J), particularly those working on #COVID19 issues, to contact the nearest U.S. Embassy/Consulate for a visa appointment.”

The announcement also indicated that those who were already in the United States on those visas should talk with their sponsors about extending them.

Routine visa services at U.S. embassies across the world were suspended on March 20, as most embassies evacuated staff and shrank to skeleton staffs carrying out essential services. In a simultaneous missive on Thursday, the State Department also announced that in-person interviews will be waived for H-2 visas (which include medical professionals) for both returning and first-time applicants.

The announcements were widely panned on social media by users across the world who accused the U.S. government of promoting a potentially deadly brain drain of doctors and nurses away from countries with weaker health systems.

Others noted how difficult procuring these visas can be in normal times, often taking years to process, and were resentful that the rules would be changed so drastically in a moment of crisis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/27/coronavirus-latest-news/#link-WY7DWNH2X5BABB5OPM4QVVOKMU

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Anecdotal...

Friend works in a steel mill. They have been cutting for ventilators for the last two weeks (on double shifts) and are now laid-off for a week.

That video should be on an endless loop until every person has seen it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Isn't it shut down enough? 

Well, if you are going to accuse Trump of waiting too long to respond, then you need to do the same with Cuomo and de Blasio, no? Again with the intellectual dishonesty and inconsistency.

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Well, if you are going to accuse Trump of waiting too long to respond, then you need to do the same with Cuomo and de Blasio, no? Again with the intellectual dishonesty and inconsistency.

Trump closed our borders to China travel a full 6 weeks before Mayor Bill quit telling NYC residents to keep on partying. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

So anytime Trump gets criticized there absolutely must be an equal problem with a Democrat? How is that honest? 

So no matter what Trump does, just say a Democrat did something like it, too? 

3 minutes ago, Gary M said:

That video should be on an endless loop until every person has seen it.

Yesterday watched a youtube video on a emergency front line worker. Said pretty low on ventilator's. Among other things. Trust those people the front line workers. Feel for them.

Unsure if true but if it is this is awful. Lifes over stupid health insurance. Ask question's on that later. But lives without it way more imprtant.

CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: 

How 3M Plans to Make More Than a Billion Masks By End of Year. 

“The company is using ‘surge capacity’ to increase the production of N95 masks to fight the pandemic. Localized supply chains are a secret weapon, too.”

Inside the Story of How H-E-B Planned for the Pandemic. 

“The grocer started communicating with Chinese counterparts in January and was running tabletop simulations a few weeks later. (But nothing prepared it for the rush on toilet paper.)”

Four Seasons Hotel offers New York City medical workers free rooms so they don’t infect their families with coronavirus.

James Dyson designed a new ventilator in 10 days. He’s making 15,000 for the coronavirus pandemic fight.

Inside the Maine factory racing to supply America with virus test swabs.

Grassroots 3D printing efforts help produce medical safety gear.

• Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I know you didn't, that was a different response. Sorry 

Good lord, can you imagine the shear number of cut and paste tweets B-Man and DR would be dumping on here if that was Pelosi doing that??? 

"Sorry"????..that's the damn Crane Technique of message boards!  You rat fink bot bast#rd!!! ?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: 

How 3M Plans to Make More Than a Billion Masks By End of Year. 

“The company is using ‘surge capacity’ to increase the production of N95 masks to fight the pandemic. Localized supply chains are a secret weapon, too.”

Inside the Story of How H-E-B Planned for the Pandemic. 

“The grocer started communicating with Chinese counterparts in January and was running tabletop simulations a few weeks later. (But nothing prepared it for the rush on toilet paper.)”

Four Seasons Hotel offers New York City medical workers free rooms so they don’t infect their families with coronavirus.

James Dyson designed a new ventilator in 10 days. He’s making 15,000 for the coronavirus pandemic fight.

Inside the Maine factory racing to supply America with virus test swabs.

Grassroots 3D printing efforts help produce medical safety gear.

Have you checked all of the above out with CNN yet? You know, for its veracity. 

• Like (+1) 1

COVID19 update, March 26, 2020: antibody testing could be a game changer.

Wuhan Virus Watch: Senate Stimulus Package Will Keep Economy Running for Three Months.

THIS SHOULD* BE THE END OF ANY LEGISLATION BASED ON COMPUTER MODELS: 

Inaccurate Virus Models Are Panicking Officials Into Ill-Advised Lockdowns.

Note that I said “should” not “will.”  Our politicians are too stupid to realize when a model assumes “a spherical cow of uniform mass.” 

Against stupidity the gods themselves strive in vain.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Yesterday watched a youtube video on a emergency front line worker. Said pretty low on ventilator's. Among other things. Trust those people the front line workers. Feel for them.

Unsure if true but if it is this is awful. Lifes over stupid health insurance. Ask question's on that later. But lives without it way more imprtant.

Looks like the story is true, but many many questions surround it.  Why go to urgent care and not a hospital?

• Like (+1) 1