4th & 27???

familykwi

Is there a thread about that?  I listened to McD's presser last night knowing that question would be posed.  It was, but he totally answered off point.

Has anything else been offered as to why in the world we didn't kick deep to pin the Texans down giving us a better chance to get field position on the last drive making a TD possible?

Obviously, the sack was unexpected, but I did not understand the strategy whatsoever.  I know we pulled out the last minute FG ultimately, but that doesn't really excuse the decision.

• Like (+1) 2

That series there was gut-wrenching.  After the failed fourth down, I just knew it was over.  The Texans had the ball on our side of the field and I didn't see how we'd get it back and if we did, without the score changing.  You've got to give credit to the Bills for even making it to overtime.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

McDermott didn't have a good game.

I like McD, and think hes the coach for Bflo.  Blue collar, tough, hardworking.

Having said that, he made several key mistakes yesterday.

I have no idea who made the conservative O and D play calls, so I wont go there.

But with respect to general CEO calls, the punt on 4th and 4 from the 38 yd line was a mistake.  Gained them 18 yds.

Not punting on 4th and 27 was also a mistake.  I think McD panicked there, thinking that they couldnt get the ball back.

And not vigorously protesting the reversed KO TD was a huge mistake.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McDermott is a great Defensive coach 

but that's about it. he has no idea how to develop a top offense, his in game management is awful, his challenges are poor, and he constantly is making boneheaded personal decisions, like Duke Williams not allowed to play while Lee smith and Demarco are running routes 40 yards downfield. 

he isn't a top HC in this league 

Edited by Penfield45

1 minute ago, Penfield45 said:

but that's about it. he has no idea how to develop a top offense, his in game management is awful, his challenges are poor, and he constantly is making boneheaded personeal decisions, like Duke Williams not allowed to play while Lee smith and Demarco are running routes 40 yards downfield.  

His players seem to play hard for him.  That is pretty important. 

But he really lacks accountability for his own errors.  He was very public about telling his players, especially Allen, to play fearlessly.  Then after the refs stole the game, and he made multiple coaching errors during the game, blamed the loss on Allen "trying to do to much".  I thought that was a real ***** move. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, familykwi said:

Is there a thread about that?  I listened to McD's presser last night knowing that question would be posed.  It was, but he totally answered off point.

Has anything else been offered as to why in the world we didn't kick deep to pin the Texans down giving us a better chance to get field position on the last drive making a TD possible?

Obviously, the sack was unexpected, but I did not understand the strategy whatsoever.  I know we pulled out the last minute FG ultimately, but that doesn't really excuse the decision.

I don't know the answer to this, but the more I think about it, the more ironic it seems that someone is asking this question.  

The refrain around here is that McDermott is too conservative, that he punts when he should go for it, blah blah.   Now comes someone saying what was he doing, going for it?   

They're just decisions that a coach has to make all the time.  Some decisions work out, some don't.  

If I had to guess, here's what he was thinking:   Whether he punts or goes for it and doesn't make it, if the Eagles get one first down, the game is over.   So his chances aren't very good either way.  Going for it at least gives him two shots at it.   Maybe he gets a miracle on 4th and 27.  Maybe he gets a defensive penalty.   If he doesn't make it, other than field position, he's no worse off than he was.  If his defense doesn't hold, he's done.  If it does hold, he has a shot.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, familykwi said:

That was by far the worst call ever! Kick the FG your odds are better.

13 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

but that's about it. he has no idea how to develop a top offense, his in game management is awful, his challenges are poor, and he constantly is making boneheaded personal decisions, like Duke Williams not allowed to play while Lee smith and Demarco are running routes 40 yards downfield. 

It is kinda weird how some people think he is...he never wins against top competition...he doesn’t know how to manage the game in crunch time...he constantly coaches scared and not to lose...if anything McD is very mediocre...just because the Bills has a winning record against the easiest schedule does not make him a top HC imo...

17 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

His game management is a legit criticism. 

I'm much less critical of his game management than most, because I literally don't know how to make those decisions.  Much of the criticism of McDermott's game management comes after losses, and that makes me suspect.   If his game management is so bad, what's going on during those wins?

Having said that, I think game management is a skill that coaches develop over time.   All the time that guys are assistants or coordinators, they're not making game management decisions.   The HC is telling them when they're going for it, when they're punting, etc.   So McDermott has been managing games for exactly three seasons, while Reid and Belichick and Tomlin have been doing it for 20.   There's no way anyone should expect McDermott to be as good at game management, yet, as seasoned coaches.

McDermott has talked about this in general terms.   He is not exempt from the process.   His, game management decisions are studied and evaluated, and they develop knowledge and techniques to correct what they determine are game management mistakes.   I'm sure analytics are involved, and that the Bills maintain a database about in-game decisions.   I'm sure he's getting in-game advice about what the database says in various situations.   

So, I don't know how good or how bad his game management actually is, but I would expect that it will improve from year to year for several years.   

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

McDermott didn't have a good game.

Let's go back to the Cleveland loss.  That day was another badly managed game where McD was criticized for playing it conservative.  And what was the response?  Well, the guy who is the one voice of the franchise told the team they needed to play fearless.  Miraculously, Chris Brown reported that and it became a catch phrase.  Yet, the effect was it took the blame off of McD and Daboll by making it seem the play-calling was good, but the players were not aggressive.

Same thing has happened after a much bigger game.  McD made some dubious decisions that need to be scrutinized, but you wouldn't know that anything bad happened from a game-management perspective.  No, according to McD, Josh was trying to do too much.  

I like Josh and he does admittedly play reckless, but he's a 2nd year QB and McD has been in the NFL 20 seasons.  Daboll isn't far behind in experience.  Which people in that situation should have the onus placed on them for blowing a 16 point lead with 21 minutes remaining now?  

McD is a manipulator, but with every close loss he's showing that he's another in a long line of play-it safe, don't risk much, hope to win a close one type coach.  Those guys have a shelf life and it ain't that long.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I would add to this using frank gore way too much!!