Duke today, did the bad outweigh the good?

1 minute ago, GregPersons said:

It wasn't great. He had some tough drops. He also made some tough catches.

He did more today than most of our other receivers have done all season. I'd keep him, Brown, and Beasley, and then try to bring in several possible new True WR1s from the draft and Free Agency, and let it play out in training camp.

TE needs just as much help. I'd dump Kroft and Lee Smith.

agreed  I'd love to see WR1 added and all three of those guys bumped down one notch and addd a wr5 who really is a wr  No more special teams guys,gadget players  TE keep Knox and draft a big physical TE who is a run mauler and can be a red zone target  Kroft is neither and Sweeney cant block  Lee Smith is just a blocker

Just now, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Also I saw a number of 2 WR sets with Brown & Duke.

Yep, I want duke on the field as much as the next guy... but not at the expense of beasley.

I guess I kind of get the in 2 man sets because he has a different skillset/size/blocking than brown and beas... But McKenzie over Beas in 3 man sets is inexcusable IMO

• Like (+1) 1

I think he was pretty good. He dropped some balls but those were partly because of defenders doing things well. A top receiver in the league might hold on to those but no one really thinks he's one of those. He's definitely good enough for the NFL and I like him as part of the Bills.

Just now, PolishPrince said:

Yep, I want duke on the field as much as the next guy... but not at the expense of beasley.

I guess I kind of get the in 2 man sets because he has a different skillset/size/blocking than brown and beas... But McKenzie over Beas in 3 man sets is inexcusable IMO

Absolutely.

2 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

I think he was pretty good. He dropped some balls but those were partly because of defenders doing things well. A top receiver in the league might hold on to those but no one really thinks he's one of those. He's definitely good enough for the NFL and I like him as part of the Bills.

I started this topic because I was thinking of these things.  I am questioning if the Bills feel they can rely on him to catch the ball when it is there, consistently.

Perhaps this was why we did not see Williams on the field this year very much?   Could be.

16 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm stunned at how people are reacting to his performance. He was a key player today and made big plays. As others have said, that TD would've been SPECTACULAR and elevated his performance to legendary. Your expectations are ridiculous.

if he was a key player making our big plays, it’s no shock the outcome.

the guys a depth role player not a cornerstone 

13 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I called my shot before the game, that Duke would be the difference in the game for the Bills (a positive difference).  Unfortunately, I was right (on the negative side), in that Duke failed to make the play for the TD.  He did make some huge 1st down catches though.  Not bad for not having played with Josh for 7 weeks.  He'd be a great 3rd or 4th WR on the team.  We need a #1.  McKittrick gonna be fighting Foster for a roster spot next year.

I think you have to add a true reliable 1, and a good developmental player (By that I mean a vet or TOP pick, plus a mid rounder). That takes 4 spots. 

Leaves Roberts and the gang fighting for 2 max

He had 3 very nice catches in tight coverage, one of which was called back on a holding call. No other receiver on our team can make those catches. So I stand by what I've said which is that he's more valuable than Foster on the active roster. However he also has proved over the past couple weeks that he does NOT catch everything. He is an upgrade by default but that doesn't mean he's the answer. I think next year he will be on our practice squad again if he's eligible.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’d keep him next year.  He’s earned it.  

Brown

Beasley

Draft Pick or FA

Duke

Roberts

McKenzie vs Foster for the last spot

McKenzie way over Foster. He can backup Roberts on returns and you have the shovel pass sweep he runs. Foster is gone.

Shenault 

Brown

Beasley 

Duke

Roberts 

McKenzie 

24 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

he played great not sure where you say the bad the endzone catch would of been a highlight reel catch the sideline catch would of been pretty impressive as well considering 

what irks me is seeing his game today and knowing for the last six weeks he has been on the practice squad and somehow Fosters play on ST outweighed Williams on the offense...points to imo more incompetence with this staff 

Actually he was on the roster. That said, 4 catches for 49 yards was second to Browns 4 catches and 50 yards. Had he had the catch that was negated by the penalty he would have been 5 catches for I believe 63 yards. Yeah, he needs to be on the roster to fight for a spot this summer.

Edit: Singletary had 6 catches for 76 yards.....Daboll!!!!!

Edited by fansince88
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Actually he was on the roster. That said, 4 catches for 49 yards was second to Browns 4 catches and 50 yards. Had he had the catch that was negated by the penalty he would have been 5 catches for I believe 63 yards. Yeah, he needs to be on the roster to fight for a spot this summer.

Edit: Singletary had 6 catches for 76 yards.....Daboll!!!!!

That catch on the Allen scramble to the right was incredible by Singletary......more touches for this guys please in OT and this message board may not be the mess it is atm :P

• Like (+1) 1

He has this weird habit of leaning into the tackler 3 yards before he gets to him

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He had 3 very nice catches in tight coverage, one of which was called back on a holding call. No other receiver on our team can make those catches. So I stand by what I've said which is that he's more valuable than Foster on the active roster. However he also has proved over the past couple weeks that he does NOT catch everything. He is an upgrade by default but that doesn't mean he's the answer. I think next year he will be on our practice squad again if he's eligible.

Perfectly said.  He had a lot of holes in his game but he brings a facet that we missed all year

44 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The endzone pass was a difficult one and I think he should have caught it. But who on our team catches that ball as it was thrown? 

As it was thrown?  You mean right on the money where it needed to be?  Josh wasn't great today but my god man.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

I started this topic because I was thinking of these things.  I am questioning if the Bills feel they can rely on him to catch the ball when it is there, consistently.

Perhaps this was why we did not see Williams on the field this year very much?   Could be.

even so worse than invisible Robert Foster?  Duke should have been playing  Hopefully next year he fighting just to be wr5  We need a upgrade and it includes modern nfl wrs not 1980's era smurfs