Playoff #1 Second Half Thread. Bills @ Texans ESPN & ABC 4:25 pm

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Maybe.  

I'm okay with it, on the principle that if you don't run the ball out of the end zone you're de facto giving yourself up for a touchback.  But I'm not sure that's what the rules actually say.

I’m not. And not because I’m a rabid fan. But because I don’t understand how he “gave himself up.” They keep saying “common sense prevails.” I think they want the assumption of the returners intent. But that principally goes against the the way the game should be officiated. It should be officiated based on precision and specifically as it relates to the proper execution of movements and non-movement even. Think about the precision that goes into “what constitutes a catch,” and staying in stance to avoid a penalty. 

I can’t reconcile any of that with how they ruled.  

Edited by Juror#8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, WideNine said:

I think the proper way is to take the knee if you field the ball. Technical, but if it was a Bill that did that I would want them to rule it a TD. Safe signal and body language does not mean anything to the refs... the guy was technically correct to say it was live I think.

If brown catches a diving pass untouched and gets up and spikes the ball is it not a fumble?

the player running into the end zone accidentally dropping the ball before the goal line is a fumble despite his body language indicating he is done with the play 

1 minute ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

He actually pointed at the ref and attempted to toss the ball to him. Bad awareness, yes... but in the modern era of player safety that is giving up.

So?  Is that in the rules?

And don't say that it shows intent.  The NFL rules are, as a matter of practice, explicitly applied without reference to "intent."