The reason Knox has drop issues

57 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills-team-stats?season=2019&week=0&category=RECEIVING

Ten drops in fifty targets is unacceptable!

Worse yet, easily catchable ball drops. 
Even worse, drive killers.

I don’t care how tough he is or what kind of circus catches he makes, I don’t trust him because he is the opposite of reliable.

Put 10 lbs on Duke and you have his replacement at TE.  Better hands, better blocker. Or maybe it's that Rob Johnson bandana that gets in his eyes?

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

I think we could use that improvement from him in the next 5 weeks. Pretty important next 4 games.

Every player that steps on to the field I expect them to perform at a high level. But I do take into consideration many variables that might effect their performance. I am all in on "the process". but everyone on that roster has too do their 1/11. Everytime.  If everyone performs to their ability consistently we will be world champions. The sky is truly the limit for this team. They just have to execute consistently. Are they ready to do that? We shall see Saturday. Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not too worried about Knox. I predict him to be out breakout player next year. The concentration drops are easily coached out of him. He blocks very well and he's a freak athlete. When he puts it all together he's going to be a monster.

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, klos63 said:

All receivers run before they catch the ball, that's how most pass patterns are designed. The better ones don't drop the ball though.

I think Knox will turn out to be a good player,  just needs to be more consistent ,which should come with more experience.

The best receivers look to secure the ball first. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Put 10 lbs on Duke and you have his replacement at TE.  Better hands, better blocker. Or maybe it's that Rob Johnson bandana that gets in his eyes?

Absurd......

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

His problem is he looks to run before he secures the catch.

Yep. He drops are way different than, say, Zay Jones drops. Zay had the tips. Knox tries to run before he secures it. Very likely to improve with experience. I'm not worried about his hands one bit. He has great hands. He should become a huge weapon. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

He wasn’t used as a receiving option in college and played QB in high school. He also missed time during training camp. Give him another off-season. Year 2 will be a big change for him. He might not be Kittle, Ertz, or Kelce, but he’ll be a valuable receiving tight end. 

Possible but I’m heavily skeptical due the ease of the catches that become drops.
    I believe we ended leading the league  in drops. This is the difference between wins and losses. I want dependability over wow factor.

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And I mean, this is his ceiling, right?

NO room for improvement! *mad panda*

Knox plays like Tarzan but doesn’t look like a natural pass catcher. 
    I’ve watched a tremendous amount of “ He will improve with coaching “ posts on here over the last two decades.

Let’s re- sign Clay..... Lonnie Johnson?

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I’ve watched a tremendous amount of “ He will improve with coaching “ posts on here over the last two decades.

There were at least a few different videos this year where it was 100% clear that he turned to look downfield right as the ball was coming to him. He's a YAC guy. That's very fixable. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

You do you, BB.

I'll prefer to be rational about it rather than comparing apples to mangoes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills-team-stats?season=2019&week=0&category=RECEIVING

I don’t care how tough he is or what kind of circus catches he makes, I don’t trust him because he is the opposite of reliable.

even the ones he catches he doesnt secure very well...the ball is always bobbling around.........but he is a fuin guy to watch and a tough runner

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

His college and NFL TD total is 2 more than mine!

The problem is that he's not played as a receiver, really, until he got to the NFL.  It shows.

Dawson was always going to be a project as a TE in the NFL because he wasnt used that way in college.....Im ok with his production so far because I think he will get better

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. He drops are way different than, say, Zay Jones drops. Zay had the tips. Knox tries to run before he secures it. Very likely to improve with experience. I'm not worried about his hands one bit. He has great hands. He should become a huge weapon. 

??? he does not have great hands. the looking to run before he secures it is not THE problem.It may be an issue--But even on his TD catch vs NE and several other catches the ball was bobbling around and not  secured.

2 hours ago, elltrain22 said:

Most of his drops are due to him taking his eyes off the football. Knox wants to get yac yards, which causes his drift away from the ball. With more development and growth, he'll get better catching the football 

Is just that simple. same as Doc mentioned. I am pretty sure he will fix it.
And he certainly draws defenses attention already

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

All receivers run before they catch the ball, that's how most pass patterns are designed. The better ones don't drop the ball though.

I think Knox will turn out to be a good player,  just needs to be more consistent ,which should come with more experience.

He means he turns his head before the ball arrives. That is what i have seen anyways

4 minutes ago, Tcali said:

??? he does not have great hands. the looking to run before he secures it is not THE problem.It may be an issue--But even on his TD catch vs NE and several other catches the ball was bobbling around and not  secured.

Numerous leaping and diving and one- handed and twisting and spectacular catches say otherwise. 

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I think we could use that improvement from him in the next 5 weeks. Pretty important next 4 games.

Well stated Milton !!!!

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Well stated Milton !!!!

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Numerous leaping and diving and one- handed and twisting and spectacular catches say otherwise. 

yep.
he's and excitable kid. give him and Sweeney the time to develop and work with Allen.

Not that Bills are all set at any position. But i think those 3 will give us some solid work over the next few years

I don't think anyone is calling for his head, but I don't think i'd call his number in any important situations either.  No question he has upside and promise,

He should invest in a jugs machine for his house and spend as much time with it as possible. This isn't even a joke, most of the greats swear by it and say the best guys spend the most time on it. The run before catching issues should be entirely eliminated by next season imho.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

He's a rookie.  Hopefully he gets his drops under control because he has made some huge plays for us.   If he becomes a Zay Jones we still have Kroft and Sweeney waiting in the wings.