Reported: Mason Rudolph accused of using racial slur prior to brawl-Steelers deny

Mango

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mason should sue him for defamation if he’s making it up. That’s something that will be tied to his reputation now. 

The race card gets thrown around so freely these days, I think this allegation will come to pass and probably have little impact on his reputation. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They should give him an additional 6 games for being and rabble rousing #######.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes, but the poster I responded to used a well defined legal term as grounds for further action and it's not the same as 'lying to your boss'.

I realize that. I’m just not getting too picky about the term. He won’t go to jail, but a little jail time might be better than missing an extra 4 games with those checks on the line. I understand the difference, and I’m sure he does too. It’s just a throw-away type comment. Not a big deal to me, or I suspect him. Just the wrong term used. 

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Mike Garafolo said it to Andrew Siciliano during TNF First Look show. (Garafolo sited league spokesman Brian McCarthy as his source)

Edit:  Linky found:

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/cleveland-browns/nfl-issues-statement-on-myles-garretts-accusation

Welp, Then.

I don't know how conclusive they can be, but it sounds like "weak sauce" on Garrett's part.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I realize that. I’m just not getting too picky about the term. He won’t go to jail, but a little jail time might be better than missing an extra 4 games with those checks on the line. I understand the difference, and I’m sure he does too. It’s just a throw-away type comment. Not a big deal to me, or I suspect him. Just the wrong term used. 

I won't speak for the other poster, but I suspect he understands what perjury is and used it deliberately.

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Can you perjure yourself at an NFL appeals hearing?

Good question.  I guess it depends upon whether they ask him to swear or affirm that his written and verbal statements are true?

Just pulling definitions:

Wiki:
Perjury is the intentional act of swearing a false oath or falsifying an affirmation to tell the truth, whether spoken or in writing, concerning matters material to an official proceeding.

Merriam Webster:

: the voluntary violation of an oath or vow either by swearing to what is untrue or by omission to do what has been promised under oath : false swearing

So it apparently doesn't necessarily have to involve a legal proceeding, but it has to involve swearing or affirming to be truthful then, not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

The race card gets thrown around so freely these days, I think this allegation will come to pass and probably have little impact on his reputation. 

They should give him an additional 6 games for being and rabble rousing #######.

Don’t be surprised if they tack something on for lying and trying to ruin a guys reputation.

39 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The NFL has had the ongoing Kaepernick saga, the Antonio Brown thing...I'm pretty sure they aren't concerned about being accused of racism by Myles Garrett. If anything they're delighted to have something other than CTE to talk about.

Believe me, the last thing that the NFL wants is to be looked at as an environment that fosters this behavior. Garrett knows that. That’s exactly why he went there. If they try to drag out his suspension he will get louder and louder about them enabling that. He will get into Kaep. He will have people jumping to his side left and right and taking an “anti-NFL” stance.

The NFL is terrified of that. Look at the ratings after Kaep. It’s the first time that they had taken a hit in forever. This is Garrett’s play. That’s why he did this. No one will ever know what was said there. What we do know is that the NFL, with a 70% black work force, doesn’t want to have people looking at it as a racist organization. This is Garrett’s leverage. “I will shut up if you let me back on the field.” That’s his play to not have this extend into next season.

Of course he made the racial thing up---but it wouldn't have mattered if Rudolph had said whatever--it would have no bearing on the punishment because the act itself isn't mitigated by the victim saying bad words.

It was a hopeless lie all along.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Believe me, the last thing that the NFL wants is to be looked at as an environment that fosters this behavior. Garrett knows that. That’s exactly why he went there. If they try to drag out his suspension he will get louder and louder about them enabling that. He will get into Kaep. He will have people jumping to his side left and right and taking an “anti-NFL” stance.

The NFL is terrified of that. Look at the ratings after Kaep. It’s the first time that they had taken a hit in forever. This is Garrett’s play. That’s why he did this. No one will ever know what was said there. What we do know is that the NFL, with a 70% black work force, doesn’t want to have people looking at it as a racist organization. This is Garrett’s leverage. “I will shut up if you let me back on the field.” That’s his play to not have this extend into next season.

The NFL easily bought off Kaep.  They would not bow to Garret's ludicrous claim.

They've made billions since Kaep walked out of his last contract.

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The idea that the decline in NFL ratings was due to Kaepernick has been pretty thoroughly debunked (here and here...and elsewhere tbh). And the bolded is incorrect, NFL revenue has continued its pretty stable growth patter over the last decade or so.

The NFL doesn't care about the perception that they're racist; they care about the perception that football is killing the players. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Of course he made the racial thing up---but it wouldn't have mattered if Rudolph had said whatever--it would have no bearing on the punishment because the act itself isn't mitigated by the victim saying bad words.

It was a hopeless lie all along.

The NFL easily bought off Kaep.  They would not bow to Garret's ludicrous claim.

They've made billions since Kaep walked out of his last contract.

No one is saying that they “bow to him.” Just saying that they don’t want Garrett, and in turn others, talking about whether the NFL is racist. They don’t want that to be the topic on Get Up or Colin Cowherd in February. They don’t want people making this case. They’d rather it go away. Garrett can continue to talk about it and get louder and louder. He can start bringing others to his side to talk about it. The NFL does not want this as a topic of conversation. I’ll GUARANTEE that Garrett doesn’t let this go away if they don’t let him back at the beginning of 2020. He will make all kinds of accusations.

Let’s understand the political environment that we know live in. We live in a divided country on pretty much everything. There no longer needs to be facts to support your assertions. You just need people to be on your side. This isn’t about “will the NFL bow to Garrett?” It’s about “does the NFL want to be dragged through the mud or is it easier to just let him back at the start of 2020?” 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I didn’t the Read the rest of that nonsense. But CK would make the Steelers a better team. 

If--and only if--he was truly focused on football, and not the side interests that were clearly greater than his football priorities the last year in which he played.