Reported: Mason Rudolph accused of using racial slur prior to brawl-Steelers deny

Mango

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Just got the update via ESPN. That could change things a bit in a bunch of ways. While not condoning, it would make some more sense to the sudden outburst. 

Feel free to merge with the other Garret v. Rudolph thread if need be 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28130757/during-appeal-myles-garrett-accused-mason-rudolph-using-racial-slur

I don't think it changes too much.  If it was part of his story immediately afterwards I would give it more credence.

But lets, for the sake of argument, say that it's true.  If you call me a racial slur, does that make it more justified for me to lose my cool and do something that could kill or seriously injury you than if I'm "just" shoving you in the balls with my foot and trying to rip your helmet off?

I would say if I'm doing something that causes you physical harm/pain that is more justification for physical defense than a "fighting word" is

49 minutes ago, eball said:

The best thing Myles Garrett could have done was to not appeal the suspension, publish a written apology to Rudolph in the Pittsburgh newspaper, promise he would never do it again, and then shut his damn mouth.

If the NFLPA "insisted" that he appeal he should have still done the same things.  Shame on Garrett and his "team of advisors" for thinking they could win an appeal by citing a dissimilar prior incident and making unsubstantiated claims of racism.

Screw him and screw Browns fans who defend him.

A lot of Bills fans would have done the same thing. McCoy has given a lot of evidence that he is kinda of POS, but still plenty of fans defended him. Same with Lynch.  

Go to a Chiefs board and see how they defend Hill. Personally, it’s kinda pathetic but it’s far from just Browns fans.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

As reported by ESPN. You heard it THERE first.

So ESPN isn’t supposed to report news?  You’re working way too hard to fault ESPN.

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

This post seems to be making an incorrect assumption about me, just FYI.

So you’re a black man who has been called the n word?  Again, I don’t think it’s true and still not close to a reason to swing his helmet at him.  But I understand it slightly more if he did say it. Still deserves the suspension.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Cornelius?

How dare you!!! ?

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So ESPN isn’t supposed to report news?  You’re working way too hard to fault ESPN.

Have you ever tuned in and watched some shows on espn? They are all about bringing race into just about every segment. Stephen A is the biggest Race torch carrier and Max is the biggest white apologist.. I tune in to watch sports, not hear about bs racist claims. But I'm a white guys so will prob take some ***** for that..

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Am I?

They're all about digging out #racists in sports.

Probably why they leaped at the opportunity to be the first to report this.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Am I?

1) ? racists

2) again, should they not report this? Did they say Rudolph was a racist?  If it turns out Garrett just made this up, he is going to look even worse.  It literally was facts from a hearing. 

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Am I?

I dont think ESPN (the company) cares so much about outing racists, as much as they care that racism and accusations of racism drive clicks. As illustrated by the linking to their page in the OP, and everyone who has clicked on the link since entering this thread.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Have you ever tuned in and watched some shows on espn? They are all about bringing race into just about every segment. Stephen A is the biggest Race torch carrier and Max is the biggest white apologist.. I tune in to watch sports, not hear about bs racist claims. But I'm a white guys so will prob take some ***** for that..

You mean like Jason Whitlock and Clay Travis on Fox?  And Steven A Smith just called an Uncle Tom so is he a racist or Uncle Tom?  

if someone is a racist, call them out. But if they aren’t, and Rudolph never said it, Garrett deserves to be sued. Pretty simple. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

What the? Being called a name is no excuse for hitting someone! Didn’t we all learn that in kindergarten?

Call a black person the n word and see how it goes. 

again, probably didn’t happen.  But I’m all for people who use slurs to get punched in their mouth without punishment. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You mean like Jason Whitlock and Clay Travis on Fox?  And Steven A Smith just called an Uncle Tom so is he a racist or Uncle Tom?  

if someone is a racist, call them out. But if they aren’t, and Rudolph never said it, Garrett deserves to be sued. Pretty simple. 

Stephen A is out for views and clicks, just like the rest of them.

Which is demonstrated by TO calling Kellerman more black than Stephen A on national TV :lol:

29 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

It’s a really dumb play by Garrett.

What’s a better play? He’s suspended indefinitely and vilified by everyone. If he plays this card he will get some people on his side. If it turns out he’s lying he was already the bad guy. He just becomes a little worse. No one will be able to prove one way or another what really happened. It will always be finger pointing. Garrett tried to drag some people back to his side and he will get some. 

Additionally, he can accuse the NFL of racism if this suspension drags on too long. He can talk about how they supported racism, yada, yada, yada. He backs them into a corner somewhat. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mason should sue him for defamation if he’s making it up. That’s something that will be tied to his reputation now. 

Interesting that he brought it up AFTER he Mason choose to not press charges.

I have seen lots of comments in real life where one person took it as racist and the other didn't and it was due to point of view and backgrounds.

We even have a team in NFL using a [former?] racial slur where some say it isn't including some in racial group compensated and others still say it is.

3 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Which is demonstrated by TO calling Kellerman more black than Stephen A on national TV :lol:

I think he used to be all about that but I actually think he gives pretty solid, unbiased opinion. I just find it hilarious that some poster calls him a racist while the idiot TO calls him an Uncle Tom. 

so is he a racist or a sellout? 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Additionally, he can accuse the NFL of racism if this suspension drags on too long. He can talk about how they supported racism, yada, yada, yada. He backs them into a corner somewhat. 

Most truthful thing in this thread. Kudos.

7 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

how could i doubt any 5-alarm fire story broken by Stephen?

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What’s a better play? He’s suspended indefinitely and vilified by everyone. If he plays this card he will get some people on his side. If it turns out he’s lying he was already the bad guy. He just becomes a little worse. No one will be able to prove one way or another what really happened. It will always be finger pointing. Garrett tried to drag some people back to his side and he will get some. 

It's disgusting how likely accurate this is and how it would probably be pretty damn effective...

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1) ? racists

2) again, should they not report this? Did they say Rudolph was a racist?  If it turns out Garrett just made this up, he is going to look even worse.  It literally was facts from a hearing. 

I think the problem for Rudolph, is that how can he ever prove that he didn't?  It was just them rolling around on the ground at first.