Reported: Mason Rudolph accused of using racial slur prior to brawl-Steelers deny

Mango

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The idea that the decline in NFL ratings was due to Kaepernick has been pretty thoroughly debunked (here and here...and elsewhere tbh). And the bolded is incorrect, NFL revenue has continued its pretty stable growth patter over the last decade or so.

The NFL doesn't care about the perception that they're racist; they care about the perception that football is killing the players. 

The NFL cares about EVERYTHING that potentially endangers their business!! Every business is like that!!! No restaurant says, “we don’t care about our health code violations because we are too busy caring about the cost of seafood.” You don’t just care about 1 issue!! You care about everything that potentially jeopardizes you.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, motorj said:

so neither was mic'd up? myles should get extra suspension for lying

But you can’t prove it. 

I, for one, would be annoyed with the NFL if they do “bow” to Garrett for this nonsense. Of course, I think he should be allowed to play beginning next season anyway, so I guess it’s a moot point. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

But you can’t prove it. 

I, for one, would be annoyed with the NFL if they do “bow” to Garrett for this nonsense. Of course, I think he should be allowed to play beginning next season anyway, so I guess it’s a moot point. 

I think you mean “mute” point. You must be new here

• Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The NFL cares about EVERYTHING that potentially endangers their business!! Every business is like that!!! No restaurant says, “we don’t care About our health code violations because we are too busy caring about the cost of seafood.” You don’t just care about 1 issue!! You care about everything that potentially jeopardizes you.

On the list of things that the NFL worries about potentially endangering their business, public outcry over institutionalized NFL racism engendered by Myles I-hit-people-over-the-head-with-their-own-helmets Garrett's appeal is waaaaaaaaay down the list.

37 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

Don’t be surprised if they tack something on for lying and trying to ruin a guys reputation.

I would be surprised if the NFL took action.

Here's the thing: these guys are playing with a TON of adrenaline kicking through their body.  The memory does strange things in those circumstances.  Then there's the question of ordinary people being able to be persuaded or persuade themselves in hindsight that something happened, which objective evidence says did not.

Do you happen to remember that film of Jerry Hughes going down the tunnel dissing off the refs?  Then later when asked about it, he said "I did that?  When did I do that?" and people thought he was being disingenuous, but it could have been true. 

Garrett could, at this point in time legit believe something was said and that's what triggered him to be so "extra".

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think you mean “mute” point. You must be new here

Do you know what kind of puppy you get if you cross an Alaskan Malamute with an English Pointer?

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No one is saying that they “bow to him.” Just saying that they don’t want Garrett, and in turn others, talking about whether the NFL is racist. They don’t want that to be the topic on Get Up or Colin Cowherd in February. They don’t want people making this case. They’d rather it go away. Garrett can continue to talk about it and get louder and louder. He can start bringing others to his side to talk about it. The NFL does not want this as a topic of conversation. I’ll GUARANTEE that Garrett doesn’t let this go away if they don’t let him back at the beginning of 2020. He will make all kinds of accusations.

Let’s understand the political environment that we know live in. We live in a divided country on pretty much everything. There no longer needs to be facts to support your assertions. You just need people to be on your side. This isn’t about “will the NFL bow to Garrett?” It’s about “does the NFL want to be dragged through the mud or is it easier to just let him back at the start of 2020?” 

The NFL just demonstrated that they could not say "F YOU" fast enough to Garrett's race card play today.  They spanked it immediately.  His accusations were quickly ignored after they proved baseless.

They clearly are not concerned and won't be cowed by this lame claim.  Next year, his bogus claim will certainly have even less impact than it did not have today.  They survived Kaepernick with minor cuts, as they see it.  They certainly aren't going to worry about a completely unsympathetic figure who is determined to build a career upon delivering dirty hits to NFL players.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No one is saying that they “bow to him.” Just saying that they don’t want Garrett, and in turn others, talking about whether the NFL is racist. They don’t want that to be the topic on Get Up or Colin Cowherd in February. They don’t want people making this case. They’d rather it go away. Garrett can continue to talk about it and get louder and louder. He can start bringing others to his side to talk about it. The NFL does not want this as a topic of conversation. I’ll GUARANTEE that Garrett doesn’t let this go away if they don’t let him back at the beginning of 2020. He will make all kinds of accusations.

Let’s understand the political environment that we know live in. We live in a divided country on pretty much everything. There no longer needs to be facts to support your assertions. You just need people to be on your side. This isn’t about “will the NFL bow to Garrett?” It’s about “does the NFL want to be dragged through the mud or is it easier to just let him back at the start of 2020?” 

If this is Garett’s strategy to get back in the NFL, it’s pretty despicable 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The NFL just demonstrated that they could not say "F YOU" fast enough to Garrett's race card play today.  They spanked it immediately.  His accusations were quickly ignored after they proved baseless.

They clearly are not concerned and won't be cowed by this lame claim.  Next year, his bogus claim will certainly have even less impact than it did not have today.  They survived Kaepernick with minor cuts, as they see it.  They certainly aren't going to worry about a completely unsympathetic figure who is determined to build a career upon delivering dirty hits to NFL players.

Again, it’s a cost - benefit analysis. “Is it easier to reinstate him week 1 or have him making more allegations?” The answer, imo, is it is absolutely easier for them to cut a deal with him that if he lets this go he will be back week 1. Garrett accusing them of racism certainly isn’t going to hurt his chance of coming back sooner. The longer he is out the louder he will get. This was the strategic play by he and his people. We won’t know how it will work out for a long time. He has nothing to lose but a little more dignity. He’s the guy that just hit someone over the head with a helmet. He didn’t have a lot of character stock to lose.

19 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

On the list of things that the NFL worries about potentially endangering their business, public outcry over institutionalized NFL racism engendered by Myles I-hit-people-over-the-head-with-their-own-helmets Garrett's appeal is waaaaaaaaay down the list.

Well, we have no idea what the “NFL list of concerns” looks like. That’s an assumption based on nothing. We do know that they want to “protect the shield.” That’s all-encompassing.

It’s not one or the other. “We don’t want players to hit each other over the head with helmets OR we don’t want to be considered racist.” They don’t want EITHER.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well, we have no idea what the “NFL list of concerns” looks like. That’s an assumption based on nothing. We do know that they want to “protect the shield.” That’s all-encompassing.

It's an assumption based on my interpretation of the league's priorities, supported by statistics related to ratings and revenue I posted earlier. You have a different opinion based equally on 'nothing', except your nothing was supported by an inaccurate depiction of the NFL's television ratings. 

Just now, GoBills808 said:

It's an assumption based on my interpretation of the league's priorities, supported by statistics related to ratings and revenue I posted earlier. You have a different opinion based equally on 'nothing', except your nothing was supported by an inaccurate depiction of the NFL's television ratings. 

My assumption is a safe one. I assume that the NFL worries about EVERYTHING that is negative to them. Every business in the world is the same in that sense. If the NFL can eliminate multiple problems at once, they will. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

My assumption is a safe one. I assume that the NFL worries about EVERYTHING that is negative to them. Every business in the world is the same in that sense. If the NFL can eliminate multiple problems at once, they will. 

So your theory is Myles Garrett will continue to use the argument that Rudolph allegedly slurred him as a way to end his suspension? And that the NFL will somehow be so worried about the optics that they'll cave? We have different definitions of safe assumptions, I think that's unlikely at best.

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So your theory is Myles Garrett will continue to use the argument that Rudolph allegedly slurred him as a way to end his suspension? And that the NFL will somehow be so worried about the optics that they'll cave? We have different definitions of safe assumptions, I think that's unlikely at best.

Yeah, in some ways that’s what I’m saying. I’m not saying “cave” as in not punish him. I’m saying “cave” as in they will allow him back at the start of next year. The NFL just doesn’t want this in the offseason: