Reported: Mason Rudolph accused of using racial slur prior to brawl-Steelers deny

Mango

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Which is why Rudolph needs to attack the Browns and the League with litigation, in addition to Garrett.

QB helmets are mic’d.

Yeah I think Mason Rodolph will become very wealthy thanks to Myles Garrett assault on the field and now even worse defaming his name and character and possible future earnings being effected by these false accusations. Rudolphs lawyers are going to have a field day with this. And they should! 

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think 99% of the so accused would have, if true, made this known as soon as possible.  One should not have to wait until he shows up at a hearing to produce this info.  

I agree an overwhelming majority would. 

I don’t think that makes a difference to 99% of the reactions though.

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

Yeah I think Mason Rodolph will become very wealthy thanks to Myles Garrett assault on the field and now even worse defaming his name and character and possible future earnings being effected by these false accusations. Rudolphs lawyers are going to have a field day with this. And they should! 

Defamation suits are tough to win. People are getting a little overzealous around here thinking Rudolph is getting something out of this madness. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Which is why Rudolph needs to attack the Browns and the League with litigation, in addition to Garrett.

QB helmets are mic’d.

Are all QBs recorded? Don’t believe that’s true.

That would be incredibly dumb move for an nfl player to accuse him of saying something knowing that... no? 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you think that this is over you’re being naive. They have no reason to stretch it out. They don’t want the “racist NFL” conversation going into the offseason. I’m actually confused why anyone even thinks that’s an option? They want it dead. It is nothing to them to reinstate him week 1 of next year instead of week 5. They have so much less to lose by doing that than having to defend themselves. That’s the point. It isn’t about right or wrong, it’s about opportunity cost. The NFL can just cut a deal and everyone gets the desired outcome. 

They want the upper hand.  

It would be the extreme of naiveté too believe that 10 months from now there will be any public outcry worrisome to the NFL that Garrett has proven them as "the racist NFL". 

Without any evidence to back up what his is charging re: Rudolph, then why oj earth would you think the NFL would be worried about this in 10 months?  How, next year, does Garrett make a credible claim that the NFL is "racist"?  He simply can't--and the NFL has shown you today that this is the case.  

Today the NFL told you they aren't concerned with Garrett's claim.  Most likely they will let him play week 1 next year, because they simply can.  They want him to know that he  (and anyone who would hit another player's head with a helmet) that they play at the whim of the league.  This is all about power and Garrett was told today he has none.  He won't have more after 10 months out of football.  He can scream all he wants about racism next year, but the game will go on and billons will be made because Garrett is a completely unsympathetic figure.  He's a known miscreant.  He's not Kaepernick who said he was protesting the treatment of young black men by police.

Garrett is a guy who tried to hurt another player in the final seconds of a game by hitting his head a helmet--he now claims because the victim called him a bad name.

No one cares.  No more will care next year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I agree an overwhelming majority would. 

I don’t think that makes a difference to 99% of the reactions though.

I think it's very reasonable to challenge the credibility of a "heat of the moment" defense that wasn't also put forth in the heat of the moment.

Also, words don't mitigate the charge or prosecution of assault in the real world.  

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I think it's very reasonable to challenge the credibility of a "heat of the moment" defense that wasn't also put forth in the heat of the moment.

Also, words don't mitigate the charge or prosecution of assault in the real world.  

I’m not saying let him off the hook.

Or that he’s incredibly credible.

I’m just saying you’d be hard pressed to find 3 minds changed on this entire board if he grabbed the mic out of the sideline reporters hand on the field that night and accused it straight to the camera on his way off the field. 

either it’s on tape, or it’s not, and nothing else was changing most minds. Even if it was on tape he doesn’t get to rip the guys helmet off and club him. 

6 minutes ago, wppete said:

What about assault cases? 

rudolph wants this to disappear too. 

he will deny the accusation, and if smart quietly move on. In the reality of the NFL world pressing assault charges would be a worse crime than the fight or a slur- regardless of his rights or the rules. He won’t be “that guy.” 

he released his denial. Will let his teammates defend him. And maybe does a minor interview down the line. If he takes this to court he becomes the sideshow teams don’t want.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

His best hand was contrition, not lying, casting vile aspersions against the character of another man.

I hope he’s sued for everything he’s worth, and then never plays again.

Rudolph should also go after the Browns organization, and the NFL.  Force them to disavow Garrett.  Destroy him.

He’s garbage.  He deserves garbage.

That seems over-the-top, especially given that we can not be certain that it did or did not happen.

Garrett had no business using his helmet to club Rudolph on the bare head.  The claim of provoked by a racial epithet doesn’t seem to make it better to me - I dunno, but I’d guess that football players say all kinds of trash to each other all the time to try to get under each other’s skin.  I wouldn’t want to play with a man who might be so triggered by the right epithet that he’ll try to kill me with my own helmet.

On the other hand, you’re suggesting that the punishment for perhaps mishearing or misrecalling something (or lying) should be highly extreme.  I don’t really  quite know where to go with this.   If you cast aspersions on my character, do you feel you should be sued, deprived of your livelihood, disavowed by your employer, and destroyed?  Does this apply to any aspersions?  Only vile ones?  How vile do they have to be, and what’s the standard for that?

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’m just saying you’d be hard pressed to find 3 minds changed on this entire board if he grabbed the mic out of the sideline reporters hand on the field that night and accused it straight to the camera on his way off the field. 

either it’s on tape, or it’s not, and nothing else was changing most minds. Even if it was on tape he doesn’t get to rip the guys helmet off and club him. 

he will deny the accusation, and if smart quietly move on. In the reality of the NFL world pressing assault charges would be a worse crime than the fight or a slur- regardless of his rights or the rules. He won’t be “that guy.” 

he released his denial. Will let his teammates defend him. And maybe does a minor interview down the line. If he takes this to court he becomes the sideshow teams don’t want.

This^ If Rudolph turned it into a legal battle, he wouldn’t be very well liked by his team or the league. Seeing an NFL player sue another would be a bigger story than any of what happened up to this point. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Agreed to both points.

Just now, SirAndrew said:

This^ If Rudolph turned it into a legal battle, he wouldn’t be very well liked by his team or the league. Seeing an NFL player sue another would be a bigger story than any of what happened up to this point. 

There could be no successful suit. Rudolph can't prove he didn't say it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Agreed to both points.

There could be no successful suit. Rudolph can't prove he didn't say it.

Very true. If Mason Rudolph doesn’t come out and speak to the media and firmly deny these accusations it will be telling. 

I don’t believe he would say something like that and Garrett and his scumbag lawyers are just trying to save their ass and money. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That seems over-the-top, especially given that we can not be certain that it did or did not happen.

Garrett had no business using his helmet to club Rudolph on the bare head.  The claim of provoked by a racial epithet doesn’t seem to make it better to me - I dunno, but I’d guess that football players say all kinds of trash to each other all the time to try to get under each other’s skin.  I wouldn’t want to play with a man who might be so triggered by the right epithet that he’ll try to kill me with my own helmet.

On the other hand, you’re suggesting that the punishment for perhaps mishearing or misrecalling something (or lying) should be highly extreme.  I don’t really  quite know where to go with this.

I agree with most of that, but I think it’s naive to believe that using certain racial and even ethnic epithets aren’t likely to get you beat up. Just because you can’t use those words wouldn’t make me feel like I’m playing with a crazy teammate. Then again, maybe my experience growing up was different than most. There are some words you just don’t say to people without extremely triggering them. That’s why Garrett would potential make up such a damaging story. I agree, even if it weren’t a lie, it doesn’t necessarily excuse the act, but just saying words does make lots of people come unhinged. That’s why Garrett is going with it, and also why it’s tough to believe Rudolph is just throwing it out there.  

Edited by SirAndrew

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On the other hand, you’re suggesting that the punishment for perhaps mishearing or misrecalling something (or lying) should be highly extreme.  I don’t really  quite know where to go with this.   If you cast aspersions on my character, do you feel you should be sued, deprived of your livelihood, disavowed by your employer, and destroyed?  Does this apply to any aspersions?  Only vile ones?  How vile do they have to be, and what’s the standard for that?

I think if you attack him with a football helmet AND and cast aspersions on his character,  you might be sued. And you likely would lose. 

• Like (+1) 1