Josh Allen - week NINE report card

rayray808

18 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I'm wondering if you watched the same game... Same knowitalls complaining about pounding the ball in at the 2 yard line are the ones complaining  about Josh. The same ones who believed Demitrus Bell was a good LT. No, Josh put the points on the board and Singletary helped. Points win games, not stats.

Thanks for the grade... Shrug

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Yup. McD didn’t want Tyrod but he’s coaching Allen to be just like him.

I’ve actually been an advocate for a more conservative game plan to help Allen grow, but I’m starting the same thing. It’s not a matter of being a running team vs a passing team, but more about what I see in his decision making. Allen simply looks like he’s playing not to lose at times, and I don’t like that. I’d need to watch the film as McD would say, but being at the game I noticed Allen looking for short check downs, and missing downfield opportunities a few times. That was not who Allen was last season. 

Agreed. Today's ugliness was not due to Josh.  He made his plays..The finger pointing must go to the OC...It was insane to keep seeing running into the pile when the OL had zero push against the Redskins Defensive front.  It was insane to see Singletary being taken off the field on 1st down and 3rd down...

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I’ve actually been an advocate for a more conservative game plan to help Allen grow, but I’m starting the same thing. It’s not a matter of being a running team vs a passing team, but more about what I see in his decision making. Allen simply looks like he’s playing not to lose at times, and I don’t like that. I’d need to watch the film as McD would say, but being at the game I noticed Allen looking for short check downs, and missing downfield opportunities a few times. That was not who Allen was last season. 

He had a few downfield shots...our WRs came no where close to adjust...both Foster and Brown dropped sure TDs.

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This.

That long ball to Foster was another frustrating long miss, but I really don't care about those passes if he's hitting the other ones.

What about the missed DPI by the refs on that 3rd down pass from Allen? And icing on the cake there was McDermott not throwing the challenge flag.

Allen REALLY needs to work on protecting the football as teams now know he has fumblitis, but as a passer, Allen's been really good.

My problems have been with Daboll and, to a lesser degree, McDermott.

Josh did the exact thing he should have on the no call DPI. He even pointed to the encroached DL while dropping back; thought he had a free play and put up a great pass. Refs (2x) then McD let him down there.

Edited by Best Williams Available

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This.

That long ball to Foster was another frustrating long miss, but I really don't care about those passes if he's hitting the other ones.

What about the missed DPI by the refs on that 3rd down pass from Allen? And icing on the cake there was McDermott not throwing the challenge flag.

Allen REALLY needs to work on protecting the football as teams now know he has fumblitis, but as a passer, Allen's been really good.

My problems have been with Daboll and, to a lesser degree, McDermott.

Long ball to Foster was barely a miss. Allen gave him a placed it where the DB couldn’t get it but Foster slipped cutting in on the ball. Without the slip Foster would have had a good chance For the reception. 

C

And please explain to the Ravens who just beat the pants off NE with a 37 point game that you can't win with a run first offense in 2019 because that's exactly what they are doing.

We have 2 very good RB's and a QB whose running ability is elite, but his pocket passing ability is average on a good day, so why the &%#@ aren't we running more? Sure, we ran today because of the wind, but we should start running more every week. I couldn't care less why anyone thinks that running the ball and the year are related to one another because playing to your strengths has always been the best way to win and Josh Allen's pocket passing is most certainkly not a strength for this team.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

C

And please explain to the Ravens who just beat the pants off NE with a 37 point game that you can't win with a run first offense in 2019 because that's exactly what they are doing.

We have 2 very good RB's and a QB whose running ability is elite, but his pocket passing ability is average on a good day, so why the &%#@ aren't we running more? Sure, we ran today because of the wind, but we should start running more every week. I couldn't care less why anyone thinks that running the ball and the year are related to one another because playing to your strengths has always been the best way to win and Josh Allen's pocket passing is most certainkly not a strength for this team.

If Devin is healthy, we follow that game plan and Josh doesnʻt get knocked out... we beat the Pats

37 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

C

Gore was a shadow of himself yesterday.  He had 10+ opportunity to get yards and did nothing. 

I'd give Allen a B+.  Only real mistake imo was the red zone sack.  He had nowhere to go on that and it was to late by time he realized it.  

The slant pass to Brown took to long to develop and he had to rush it even more than usual and it was already a rushed play, however it was irrelevant as they ended up scoring anyway due to Allen getting the TD.  

Overall Allen did what the gameplan called for him to do.  Bills receivers don't make many highlight reel plays out there.  Singletary is really the only Bills playmaker.  I watch NFL games every week where receivers make outrageous plays.  KC makes them weekly, today the Browns OBJ, a couple by the Broncos too, the TD catch by Sutton was robbery.  With the Bills offense, and these receivers - this is about all that it can produce.  One claim I'll make though is that Josh Allen isn't the one holding this offense back.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

You can't blame it all on the OC... We can see just fine what we have in Josh.

No

why do you say this we stuff you got a hamster in your pocket?

4 minutes ago, dakrider said:

I'd give Allen a B+.  Only real mistake imo was the red zone sack.  He had nowhere to go on that and it was to late by time he realized it.  

The slant pass to Brown took to long to develop and he had to rush it even more than usual and it was already a rushed play, however it was irrelevant as they ended up scoring anyway due to Allen getting the TD.  

Overall Allen did what the gameplan called for him to do.  Bills receivers don't make many highlight reel plays out there.  Singletary is really the only Bills playmaker.  I watch NFL games every week where receivers make outrageous plays.  KC makes them weekly, today the Browns OBJ, a couple by the Broncos too, the TD catch by Sutton was robbery.  With the Bills offense, and these receivers - this is about all that it can produce.  One claim I'll make though is that Josh Allen isn't the one holding this offense back.  

That’s fair

i haven’t seen anything this year to really give josh an a game but I also understand just how raw he was coming into the league

as long as he is coming along and as long as we are winning I’m good

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Yup. McD didn’t want Tyrod but he’s coaching Allen to be just like him.

Yep.

We have a coaching problem significantly more than a QB problem.

Whether it's McDermott or Daboll, they need to get their crap together!!!

That said. Look what happened this week in the NFL. In the end, we won by 15 points and we were never in serious peril today. All good.

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Just a lot of scared coaching. Been the case since McDermott got here. 

If this team has a lead and gets the ball back before half time they'll happily kneel it instead of trying to build the lead because that's risking a turnover in McDermotts eyes.

And yet has a winning coaching record with us

when was the last time we actually had that

15 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

A+++++.  McD D, Daboll D....  

Just watched the Seattle TB game.....  That is fun football.....

This 1960's football is doing Allen no good & still hard to say whether this is the QB of the future.

Do people really want the 2018 Bears or 2016-2018 Jacksonville not knowing for way too long whether Trubinsky or Bortles are QB's to win games for them?  

How many times did Wilson throw for 300 yards in his first 16 starts?  0 times. 

How many times did he throw for 300 yards in his first 2 years in the league?  Including playoffs... 3 times.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

A+++++.  McD D, Daboll D....  

Just watched the Seattle TB game.....  That is fun football.....

This 1960's football is doing Allen no good & still hard to say whether this is the QB of the future.

Do people really want the 2018 Bears or 2016-2018 Jacksonville not knowing for way too long whether Trubinsky or Bortles are QB's to win games for them?  

A lot better skill position players in that game than what the Bills have. The Bills need better players to play that style and win. Ultimately it’s about winning the games on your schedule. The 2018 Bears had a second year QB, who’s now in year 3 and doesn’t look too good. The 3rd year is critical, and Im anticipating the Bills add offensive talent this offseason. If Allen has issues in year 3, they may decide to begin preparing for a change. 

24 minutes ago, dneveu said:

How many times did he throw for 300 yards in his first 2 years in the league?  Including playoffs... 3 times.  

We are actually following the Russel Wilson model right now in terms of QB development. Wilson certainly had more touch than JA does but overall their entire gameplan was to let him manege the game and win with defense. I remember it took until about year 3 with him before it was consensus that he was a very good starter. That also coincided with him opening the offense more. I think there was a playoff game where he threw for 9 completions or something crazy(edited to attached stats)

I am NOT saying Allen will be Wilson but there is a template out there for QB development which leads to success.

image.thumb.png.d6d37db42f9b7bca2c49a8e4b4343711.png

Edited by jletha

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

And again Wilson was drafted in the third round, not the first.  His first year the Seahawks went 11-5, not 6-10.....  The team went 11-5, 13-3 & 12-4.....  There defense was much better.  Take a look at their points differential too where they didn't need 300 yards passing.

The Bills are 6-2 granted but a point differential of 27 and every game they needed to put up points & move the ball in the fourth. 

Can compare some things about them, but the teams surrounding them were different.