Key to the Game vs. Eagles

Luka

Offensive line play is going to be huge this week. Can the line give Allen enough time to exploit the Eagles 27th ranked pass defense? The Eagles front 7 is the strong point of their defense and we all know Schwartz. He's currently blitzing at a rate of +30% on third down this year to mitigate the issues in the Eagles' secondary. He often uses Cover 0 which is a concept that Allen has seen a couple times this year (Pats and Miami) and it's going to be crucial that the line holds up in these situations. As an aside, it will also be interesting to see if Dabol can establish the run game. It will be important to maintain balance in the offense to keep the Eagles front 7 from keying on Allen and putting us in 2nd and medium/3rd and short situations.

• Like (+1) 2

Iggles have issues with both their secondary and the DL. So long as we do not commit stupid mistakes (penalties, turnovers), we should be fine. But can we play mistake free ball on Offense?

I suspect the close Vegas prediction is because the oddsmakers are not convinced Bills can play  mistake free ball. Otherwise our defense's prowess combined with their defensive injury woes should have made this a no-contest.

Run the ball early and often. They are ranked low in pass yards but that is a bit skewed based on some big chunk plays. Bills offense has not shown an ability to get those chunk plays.

Run the ball early against inexperienced DT. Against cover zero if you can get past the line there is no second level to prevent a big run. 

This is the game Singletary should break out. I'm thinking he gets 15-18 carries for 135 yards. 

Once they establish the run then hurt them with play action on deep crosses to Kroft and Knox. Use the WRs to run off the safeties and the middle of the field will be wide open for the tight ends to take advantage. It's the best throw Allen makes. 

One worry is pass blocking by Gore and Singletary.  I don't think either are any good at it. They will need to step up this week.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Run the ball early and often. They are ranked low in pass yards but that is a bit skewed based on some big chunk plays. Bills offense has not shown an ability to get those chunk plays.

Run the ball early against inexperienced DT. Against cover zero if you can get past the line there is no second level to prevent a big run. 

This is the game Singletary should break out. I'm thinking he gets 15-18 carries for 135 yards. 

Once they establish the run then hurt them with play action on deep crosses to Kroft and Knox. Use the WRs to run off the safeties and the middle of the field will be wide open for the tight ends to take advantage. It's the best throw Allen makes. 

One worry is pass blocking by Gore and Singletary.  I don't think either are any good at it. They will need to step up this week.

My understanding is that Gore has always been considered a good blocker

• Like (+1) 1

Offensive  line play is a key to any game anytime. The bills offensive line has been playing pretty well all season. Not the biggest concern for me.There are always several keys to a game.To me the biggest key is the continued progress of Josh. He needs to build on a good game from last week. Specifically, he needs to play well all 4 quarters and start hitting the occasional bomb. I think our defense is going to do just fine against the Eagles.

18 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

no, he shouldnt have posted "start", he probably meant to post "play substantial snaps"...one rookie will start, but Cox is playing as far as I know.

So they're not gonna rock out with their Cox out?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Offensive line play is going to be huge this week. Can the line give Allen enough time to exploit the Eagles 27th ranked pass defense? The Eagles front 7 is the strong point of their defense and we all know Schwartz. He's currently blitzing at a rate of +30% on third down this year to mitigate the issues in the Eagles' secondary. He often uses Cover 0 which is a concept that Allen has seen a couple times this year (Pats and Miami) and it's going to be crucial that the line holds up in these situations. As an aside, it will also be interesting to see if Dabol can establish the run game. It will be important to maintain balance in the offense to keep the Eagles front 7 from keying on Allen and putting us in 2nd and medium/3rd and short situations.

I think we are going to run more and short to intermediate passing game , i think the weather/wind  might be an issue this Sunday 

1 hour ago, Luka said:

I don't know, we faced the Jets, Titans, and Patriots who are near the top of the league regarding percentage of blitzes called. Schwartz unit is near the bottom and if I recall at around 18%, but he loads the box and focuses on stopping the run so those who are looking for a run-heavy approach (I am usually in this camp) may want to think twice as they do not give up much there although they can fall for misdirection plays and such.

Schwartz likes to generate his pressure using the guys on his defensive front and does not like to sacrifice/gamble on his pass coverage by borrowing resources in his secondary. If he had true lock-down coverage players that would likely change, OR it may change if he just does not feel that Allen can push it downfield before his blitz gets to him. That is the approach Belichick took as he has some decent man-to-man coverage resources and  believed that he can get to the opposing team's QB before he can get a read on his defense and get a pass off. He plays the odds, and the odds are in his favor that his defense can force a QB off his spot and into making mistakes.

Dallas has had some success against their NFC division rivals (including the Iggles)  by taking advantage of the over-aggressive pursuit and reliance on their defensive fronts. Pre-snap motion, screens, misdirection on jet sweeps and such have opened things up for some big gainers. Some have commented on this, but it is a copy-cat league and Dallas' new OC Moore has taken a few plays (with most of the wrinkles) out of Dabol's playbook and had some success. Dabol likely copied his plays from someone else and so on, and so on.

Schwartz likes to play a single high safety - cover 1 on a majority of snaps and I think I read that they have been pretty good at defending the boundary receivers, but they do not have the linebackers, safeties, or the nickel corners that have consistently been able to cover the middle or slot very well - queue Beasley for a good game and perhaps a "get-well" game for Knox and dare we say a coming out party (maybe) for Kroft of the OFT-injured foot. Perhaps by providence, but the offense that Dabol has been heavily calling all year with Allen may be just the right offense to run against the Eagles.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Luka said:

He does?  I thought he was a cover two press man wide 9 guy....