Interesting Bills stat...

TwistofFate

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

It is only pertinent to this discussion because we won them all. If we had a losing preseason record, not relevant. I find I always want to win preseason games. It does say something--granted, not much, but generally something good.

I would rather have lost in preseason if it meant they used it to teach players not to get dumb penalties. 

I have no issues with "smart" penalties like horse collaring a player about to blind side your QB, etc.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Or this stat. The Bills have only beaten 2 teams with a winning record over the past 22 games or 4 over the past 39 games. 

So you say the Bills should lose to give some of them, especially in AFE East, better records so when they do beat them it counts.

Nice to see your priority so clearly.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Or this stat. The Bills have only beaten 2 teams with a winning record over the past 22 games or 4 over the past 39 games. 

That’s a fair concern. And until they do beat winning teams, they won’t be considered legit contenders. 

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

So you say the Bills should lose to give some of them, especially in AFE East, better records so when they do beat them it counts.

Nice to see your priority so clearly.

That makes no sense. If they lose to teams so they have winning records, the Bills still did not beat a team with winning records. Losing to the current NYJ or MIA will not get either close to a winning record anyway. 

Point is 1) If your looking at records over a certain number of games you cannot ignore who you played over those games. For example if Bills played Pats, KC, Pats over three games and went 0-3 does that mean they are awful; But then they play NYJ, MIA, MIA and go 3-0 so now they are amazing. No, its called context. 2) Bills have yet to prove they can beat good teams. Not their fault how the schedule plays out. But many are eager to see them match up vs some good teams. The Dallas game may be the first but this Phi game and the Cle game are at least more legit tests. 

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s a fair concern. And until they do beat winning teams, they won’t be considered legit contenders. 

Exactly and fair IMO. Unless they were out there destroying teams each week. There can be a very thin line between losing and winning in the NFL. The Bills have been on the right side of that this year so far. 

Edited by ngbills

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I mean a strong case can be made that this team is a Gilmore miss tackle or good special teams blocking play away from 7-0 this year. 

I look at this weekends game as being so huge for us because I cannot remember the last time we started 6-1 and missed the playoffs. I can recall fairly easily starting 5-1 and missing the playoffs.

I'm trying to remember when it was we started 5-1 last and I seriously can't remember.  I am getting old though.  When was that?

10 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Buffalo's record dating back to last season is 7-2 in the last 9 games, with our only two losses at the hand of New England. 

If you factor in preseason this year, its 11-2.

Definitely a culture shift...winning is becoming the expected norm. 

Go Bills! 

We are winning the games that we should win , I think this week and the next few weeks will tell exactly how good we are 

( on offense) we know our defense is lights out 

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Putin said:

We are winning the games that we should win , I think this week and the next few weeks will tell exactly how good we are 

( on offense) we know our defense is lights out 

In general, I agree but we are on our 3rd string at one linebacker slot with Milano and Corey Thompson both questionable and last week, out. 

The question will be can Frazier and the healthy pieces he has adjust their scheme and take up the slack, because it's clear they can't plug Maurice Alexander in and expect success.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

2011 was my first thought because I remember Fitz starting hot that year but we actually went 4-2 then 5-2.  Ill have to look back at 2008.

I remember 2008 well. I was at the Arizona game where we rolled in 4-0 and left with a blow-out loss to the eventual NFC Champion Cardinals. 

The latest stat I am hearing now is that in the modern era the Bills have gone to the Super Bowl every year they started 6-1 or better. 

1990 started 9-1

1991 started 5-0 and 10-1

1993 started 7-1

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I remember 2008 well. I was at the Arizona game where we rolled in 4-0 and left with a blow-out loss to the eventual NFC Champion Cardinals. 

The latest stat I am hearing now is that in the modern era the Bills have gone to the Super Bowl every year they started 6-1 or better. 

1990 started 9-1

1991 started 5-0 and 10-1

1993 started 7-1

I saw this stat as well, it's only three times we started 6-1 under the current playoff format.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:47 AM, TroutDog said:

Yup. And this is why tanking like the Fins are doing is crazy, in my opinion: you’re setting a culture that the organization doesn’t care about winning. 

Beane traded pieces away to fix the cap and then, after a down season, dealt to move where he wanted to in the draft. 

Maintain a winning culture and getting the players you want. I think Beane did it right and McD kept the culture in tact during a challenging year. 

Yeah... But a team won't move anywhere staying mediocre.  Teams need talent.

1984 Bills

1989 Cowboys

1997 Colts

Want me to go on?

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But a team won't move anywhere staying mediocre.  Teams need talent.

1984 Bills

1989 Cowboys

1997 Colts

Want me to go on?

Completely different time, different salary cap...the Bills are proving it can be done: Bills 2017 - present. 

Want me to go on, kiddo? ? 

Snark isn’t needed, just saying. 

Edited by TroutDog

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In general, I agree but we are on our 3rd string at one linebacker slot with Milano and Corey Thompson both questionable and last week, out. 

The question will be can Frazier and the healthy pieces he has adjust their scheme and take up the slack, because it's clear they can't plug Maurice Alexander in and expect success.

Believe me I’m praying for Milano to be on the field Sunday,  with that said I want to see Allen step up BIG this game , and if we have have Smoke open on the deep ball I would be nice to see Allen connect at least ONCE !!!

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

When you have 40% new starters(almost all offense) this year, bringing up last year’s record is irrelevant. We added 20+ players who didn’t play here last year, so last year’s games meant nothing to them. They don’t even know Nate Peterman! Talent means more than culture and we have more of both this year.

Edited by Locomark