Is challenging obvious calls actually a brilliant coaching move?

Oftentimes I see people complain of coaches making stupid challenges that will obviously not be overturned. Is it really a stupid challenge? Or is the coach doing something else? On these challenges that obviously have no chance of being overturned, what if it is being challenged to get an extremely long time out? A time out in the NFL is 30 seconds. Whereas you can spend that same time out by challenging and buy your defense or offense a 5 minute break. If you know you are going to be using a time out anyways, and it is your first challenge, is it really that bad of a move to “buy” an extra few minutes? Or is it actually a pretty shrewd coaching move. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The clowns up in the booth have to be better. The 1st down challenge was pure stupidity.  Edmunds clearly pushed him to the marker with his tackle. Its got to be beyond indisputable. Both challenges were a waste. Sean's track record and his boys upstairs has not been good.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Oftentimes I see people complain of coaches making stupid challenges that will obviously not be overturned. Is it really a stupid challenge? Or is the coach doing something else? On these challenges that obviously have no chance of being overturned, what if it is being challenged to get an extremely long time out? A time out in the NFL is 30 seconds. Whereas you can spend that same time out by challenging and buy your defense or offense a 5 minute break. If you know you are going to be using a time out anyways, and it is your first challenge, is it really that bad of a move to “buy” an extra few minutes? Or is it actually a pretty shrewd coaching move. 

It would be better to have one of your players fake an injury and stay on the field for a couple minutes.  You save the timeout and the challenge while getting a lot of time to sort things out.  The downside is you lose the player for one play so pick somebody that has a good back up at the position.

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The clowns up in the booth have to be better. The 1st down challenge was pure stupidity.  Edmunds clearly pushed him to the marker with his tackle. Its got to be beyond indisputable. Both challenges were a waste. Sean's track record and his boys upstairs has not been good.

Eh, this is probably the correct answer. I just can’t find any other explanation of why he’s so inexplicably bad at challenges. I’m sure his coaches in the booth have the same views we do. If we know it shouldn’t be challenged, how do they not know. 

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Whatever you do, you should have done that other thing.

Just finished listening to Paul Hamiliton from this morning..and god bless i really like his hockey coverage, but man was he complaining about the challenges on Sunday. Think he forgets, as most do, these guys get one replay , maybe two at most, and have to make a call. They dont get 3 minutes and 6 angles like you get during the actual replay

The spot one I just so happened to be in the beer line..(imagine that), and i thought for sure, 100%,..sure.. that spot was being overturned when the first replay went up. Loved the McD challenge there. The call on the field was right in the , but in the split second you have to challenge it looked like he was short at first angle.

THE OPI one was right in front of us, i screamed bloody murder even before the catch..saw the first replay and again was screaming throw the flag  , by the time the sixth replay was shown realized i was wrong.

Now it brought up a big debate in seats...do you now coach DBs up to run into the pick setter? If you run into him, its a foul. Avoid him and no contact, no foul.

And on the replay there you can clearly see the NE tight end was coached to set the pick  and turn sideways to avoid contact..smart damn coaching! Run into his ass next time!

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just finished listening to Paul Hamiliton from this morning..and god bless i really like his hockey coverage, but man was he complaining about the challenges on Sunday. Think he forgets, as most do, these guys get one replay , maybe two at most, and have to make a call. They dont get 3 minutes and 6 angles like you get during the actual replay

The spot one I just so happened to be in the beer line..(imagine that), and i thought for sure, 100%,..sure.. that spot was being overturned when the first replay went up. Loved the McD challenge there. The call on the field was right in the , but in the split second you have to challenge it looked like he was short at first angle.

THE OPI one was right in front of us, i screamed bloody murder even before the catch..saw the first replay and again was screaming throw the flag  , by the time the sixth replay was shown realized i was wrong.

Now it brought up a big debate in seats...do you now coach DBs up to run into the pick setter? If you run into him, its a foul. Avoid him and no contact, no foul.

And on the replay there you can clearly see the NE tight end was coached to set the pick  and turn sideways to avoid contact..smart damn coaching! Run into his ass next time!

On broadcast it appeared what he was arguing was forward progress being stopped and appeared that was what he was challenging - which can't be challenged - so he was stuck challenging the spot. 

Regarding the OPI, I was under the impression that if within a yard of the LOS pick plays are legal. Does anyone know the ruling on this?

Edited by CBD

Maybe in college that sort of thing would work, but this is the NFL. The ONLY time it would make sense is late in the game if your defense is totally winded and getting killed.  And then only if you’ve got both challenges or it’s getting close to the 2 min warning and the game is on the line.

17 minutes ago, CBD said:

Regarding the OPI, I was under the impression that if within a yard of the LOS pick plays are legal. Does anyone know the ruling on this?

the O can block within one yard of the LOS

also has to be contact, not sure there was any on the play even after 18 times showing us

If you're basing your decision only on whether the call will 100% dead balls on be overturned, then this discussion will be beyond you.  Sometimes you can't wait for 100% indisputable evidence.  Sometimes you have to throw the flag without that information.  So when you do, it becomes critical that you do it in the right spot.  It has to be a big call, something that will change momentum.  Rex once got a challenge right when a receiver on the other team dropped a 3 yard pass on 1st down from their own 20 and the refs called it complete.  So 2nd and 10 instead of 2nd and 7.  Many on this board were "WOOHOO, GREAT CHALLENGE!".  Um, no.  It was a waste of a challenge because it was only for 3 yards, and 80 yards away from the end zone.  

McD used his challenges on critical plays.  The first was bad because they almost never change a ball spot.  The 2nd on the pick play was worthwhile because the Cheat receiver definitely interfered, but the ref refused to overturn.  I won't fault him for the 2nd challenge.  It's doubly difficult to use the challenge flag when CBS doesn't even do a replay, as often happened yesterday.  For example, no replay on the touchback, I would have liked to see if Siran Neal really touched the goal line before batting the ball back.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1

Given that you have 2 challenges and that all turnovers, scoring plays, and any calls in the last 2 minutes are automatically reviewed I don’t think challenging a call you are likely to lose is a bad thing if your intention is to slow the game down for an exhausted defense. However I think that it most often will be viewed as a waste of a timeout but I think as a coach you can often times get a feel for the game and know when a defense is just gassed and needs the break. 

I think it is better to do this in the first half if you defense is getting hit hard because first half timeouts you can be frivolous with but once again I think a coach can feel if his defense needs that break that a challenge offers. 

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

To make a regular practice of it is foolish but I thought the same things when I saw it Sunday.  He either wanted to give a longer break than a normal TO or something was not set with the defense.