Is challenging obvious calls actually a brilliant coaching move?

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just finished listening to Paul Hamiliton from this morning..and god bless i really like his hockey coverage, but man was he complaining about the challenges on Sunday. Think he forgets, as most do, these guys get one replay , maybe two at most, and have to make a call. They dont get 3 minutes and 6 angles like you get during the actual replay

The spot one I just so happened to be in the beer line..(imagine that), and i thought for sure, 100%,..sure.. that spot was being overturned when the first replay went up. Loved the McD challenge there. The call on the field was right in the , but in the split second you have to challenge it looked like he was short at first angle.

THE OPI one was right in front of us, i screamed bloody murder even before the catch..saw the first replay and again was screaming throw the flag  , by the time the sixth replay was shown realized i was wrong.

Now it brought up a big debate in seats...do you now coach DBs up to run into the pick setter? If you run into him, its a foul. Avoid him and no contact, no foul.

And on the replay there you can clearly see the NE tight end was coached to set the pick  and turn sideways to avoid contact..smart damn coaching! Run into his ass next time!

The OPI was one of those calls you knew would never go against the Pats, but McDermott can't win because he gets crap for making challenges, but also crap for not making them.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Oftentimes I see people complain of coaches making stupid challenges that will obviously not be overturned. Is it really a stupid challenge? Or is the coach doing something else? On these challenges that obviously have no chance of being overturned, what if it is being challenged to get an extremely long time out? A time out in the NFL is 30 seconds. Whereas you can spend that same time out by challenging and buy your defense or offense a 5 minute break. If you know you are going to be using a time out anyways, and it is your first challenge, is it really that bad of a move to “buy” an extra few minutes? Or is it actually a pretty shrewd coaching move. 

This is not a thing.

You wont get a lot of love on this thread, but I will say I have seen coaches say that sometimes they still challenge to make a point to the refs even if they aren't confident they will win the challenge.  To draw attention to things they may feel are happening that the refs are missing.  Gives them time to yell and get in the ear of the ref.  Ive seen multiple coaches talk about this before, so yeah I think it sometimes happens because coaches have said that in press conferences when asked why they may have challenged a certain play.  

6 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Oftentimes I see people complain of coaches making stupid challenges that will obviously not be overturned. Is it really a stupid challenge? Or is the coach doing something else? On these challenges that obviously have no chance of being overturned, what if it is being challenged to get an extremely long time out? A time out in the NFL is 30 seconds. Whereas you can spend that same time out by challenging and buy your defense or offense a 5 minute break. If you know you are going to be using a time out anyways, and it is your first challenge, is it really that bad of a move to “buy” an extra few minutes? Or is it actually a pretty shrewd coaching move. 

Too bad the blatant face mask wasn't able to be called on the foolish James White challenge.

23 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Didn’t know we had an NFL coach on this board. Are you allowed to declare which team you are an insider for? I am sure we would all love to know. 

Why the snarky attitude? I’m just expressing my opinion but I don’t believe this happens. To make a challenge when you know for certain the call will not be overturned makes no sense on the face of it, to me.Even doing it to “send a message to the refs” doesn’t make sense to me because of what you give up. Honestly, I don’t know where you’re getting all of this attitude from. You sound maybe a little paranoid or something. I’m just chiming in with my opinion.