horrible game decisions my Coach McD

slipkid

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

While his mistakes were glaring, he was battling back and had the team in position for a 4th quarter comeback. Not all bad vs BB, who generally has his way with less experienced QBs. I’d agree the coaching was pretty solid all around. STs are still weak. 

He can't make those same mistakes.  This was a home game.  You make mistakes like that on the road and teams bury you.  He keeps forcing the ball down the field and he will be watching Matt Barkley the second half of the season.  I doubt he will.  Pretty confident he will learn to take what defenses give him.  

I felt like we should have taken the late FG and made it a 16-13 game. That would have changed the whole complexion of the 4th Q. Someone PLEASE tell Josh to stop trying to carry the team on his back. When he tries to do too much, it blows up in his face. That was a very winnable game if the offense doesn't press and just takes what the D gives them. Part of the blame goes to Daboll, though I do think he's doing well overall.

My respect for our defense just grew a couple notches. They certainly played like an elite D today. Brady looked lost. We squandered a defensive gem. Oh well, at least I now know we're a legitimate wild card team. 10 wins doesn't seem unlikely if Allen checks out OK.

Could our ST have played any worse? Well, we had a couple decent returns, but had the best one called back. Where was the protection on those punts? Before you blame Bojo, he was lucky he even got that one 20-something yarder off. It was very nearly blocked.

Edited by GreggTX

Just now, FUTURIST said:

He can't make those same mistakes.  This was a home game.  You make mistakes like that on the road and teams bury you.  He keeps forcing the ball down the field and he will be watching Matt Barkley the second half of the season.  I doubt he will.  Pretty confident he will learn to take what defenses give him.  

No, he can’t but he’ll be slow to dial that down a la Favre. He’ll eventually learn to be patient when he’s frustrated. 

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Yup.  That was absolutely the right call there... you get down to the 2 yard line, you need to go for the jugular.

Every game and situation is different depending on the time, who you are playing, how your offense and defense are playing, etc. No such thing as you get to two you go. I'm an aggressive guy on plays like that, I often want to go when coaches don't, but I thought kicking it was the right call there. 

Anyone arguing about not kicking the FG there bc you liked him being aggressive (not conservative) I get it.  But this is where being smart and understanding the current game flow...WE WERE AT HOME.....the FG was the right call.  Too much time was left.  

Edited by Big Blitz

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

The coaching was hardly a B+.  The challenges were dumb especially against a team that notoriously gets the ref love. 4th down on the 2 1/2 yard line with Barkley was stupid and reckless. Kick the easy fg with 12 min left. Farwell needs to take heat. As usual our defense plays their hearts out (basically shutout NE) and get nothing to show. And Josh took a big step backwards today. Hopefully the targeting doesn't turn into Trentative scenario?

The Defensive game plan was an A.  The overall coaching was a B+. He made some great decisions when it came to making adjustments at half-time.  They were the first team in 5 games to score a TD on that defense.  They played a VERY good game, and made the mistakes you expect from a young team.  We forget they were down 6 with the ball on the 2 yard line late in the game against the world champions.  This was an EXCELLENT all around game.  Allen just threw too many picks.  Special teams mistakes cost them 10 points too.  No complaints.  This is what you want in week 4.  By week 16 the Bills will clean these things up.  The rematch will be a good one.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, fishgrappler said:

If he kicked the field goal and we still lost you’d be posting that he’s too conservative....many others would be backseat drivers just like you.

I often say go for it. That seemed like an obvious take the points and posted before the decision was made 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Magox said:

Great defensive coaching today.

Should have kicked the field goal though.  This was a totally winnable game that slipped through our fingers due to bad QB and special teams play.

If we kicked the field goal mid 4th quarter and still lost, everyone would say we should have gone for the TD.  McD coached to win, and I applaud him for that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The coaching was hardly a B+.  The challenges were dumb especially against a team that notoriously gets the ref love. 4th down on the 2 1/2 yard line with Barkley was stupid and reckless. Kick the easy fg with 12 min left. Farwell needs to take heat. As usual our defense plays their hearts out (basically shutout NE) and get nothing to show. And Josh took a big step backwards today. Hopefully the targeting doesn't turn into Trentative scenario?

Challenges are about video evidence, not ref favoritism. A spot challenge is generally a bad one unless blatantly obvious ( which most are not). Challenges thus far on uncalled PI have overwhelmingly not been made under the new rule. So that’s a bad challenge too. The 4th down call needed to be to go for it as your QB was out and you’ve got to be aggressive to win vs New England. No use just keeping it close and your D was having a great day. The John Brown pass was a great call and even the pass to Jones probably should have been a TD. If they ran and got stuffed everyone would say they were too conservative and NE knew they would run with Barkley in there. 

The play calling was atrocious.  Allen's decision making was just as bad.  He doesn't appear to learn from all the coaching he's had, which is a real concern.  Last season he wouldn't slide on runs until they drilled it into him to do it.  He's not sliding again this year.  And Allen's not setting his feet when he throws.  One interception he threw off his back foot.  He's waiting too long to throw and still won't throw the ball away when he can't locate a receiver.  If it wasn't for our defense today, we'd have been badly burnt toast. 

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

If we kicked the field goal mid 4th quarter and still lost, everyone would say we should have gone for the TD.  McD coached to win, and I applaud him for that.

I'm glad you know what everybody would say.  

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

pick play challenge was right. 

going for it was right call 

bad challenge was challenging progress should NEVER challenge the spot. 

Someone needs to instruct McD which types of plays are reviewable.

Sheesh

5 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The play calling was atrocious.  Allen's decision making was just as bad.  He doesn't appear to learn from all the coaching he's had, which is a real concern.  Last season he wouldn't slide on runs until they drilled it into him to do it.  He's not sliding again this year.  And Allen's not setting his feet when he throws.  One interception he threw off his back foot.  He's waiting too long to throw and still won't throw the ball away when he can't locate a receiver.  If it wasn't for our defense today, we'd have been badly burnt toast. 

How bad was Brady’s decision making? His percentage was just as bad and was saved by refs who wouldn’t call grounding against him...