Rich Gannon: not a great color guy

As bad as Gannon was, it started when Harlan said the opening kickoff touchback would come out to the 20.  How long's it been since they changed that rule?

Harlan is OK, but maybe he should switch to decaf.  Not every play deserves his OMG doomsday excitement voice.  For example, I liked the four sacks but it's not the most incredible performance in the history of football -- "that's the FOURTH SACK TODAY by the BUFFALO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

4 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

They should just have a guest pod cast nerd do the color analysis  At least they would know the entire roster down to the equipment guys name

My wife suggested today that instead of the regular network color guys they should hire a homer of the week for each team (yes, a three-person booth) so there are guys who know each team and can talk intelligently about who's playing.  It's not the worst idea I've ever heard.

14 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Gannon must not have studied ONE MINUTE for that game. Talk about mailing it in. Sheeesh 

14 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Yeah for a QB he doesn't seem to be putting the work in does he?

And the irony of it is if you're on a lower-rated broadcast team and frequently cover small market teams without a meaningful national following like the Bills or the Bengals, chances are that most of the viewers in your limited viewing map will know a great deal about the team like the people on this board, so you need to be EXTRA prepared.  One day of hard work and a half hour with each coach should be enough to know everything relevant including the name of the long snapper's wife.

I live overseas so I get the NFL Gamepass package (not available in the US) that lets me watch any game live or archived.  Until this year I would routinely watch the Bills game with the sound from the radio broadcast, which was great, since those guys know everything about the team and love the Bills.  This year they "improved" the Gamepass site by removing this option so I'm forced to watch the nincompoops like Gannon.

Anyone know if Romo will be doing any Bills games?  I think last year he did one of the Bills-Pats games.

14 hours ago, DrDonut said:

Wasn't there some stat about Marshall Faulk and another RB getting 1000 yds rushing and receiving, and saying that Bell had a chance for that this year? Didn't Thurman do that 3 seasons in a row? Where are the props for that?!?!?!?

No, Thomas never did it, and Gannon was right. Only Craig and Faulk have done it.

14 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

These guys get a pre-game narrative in their head and won’t deviate from it.

case in point was Bell— they were going to say he had a great game regardless. So then they kept skewing his stats all game to justify their point (eg, showing his “combined” yards instead of rushing). In truth, Bell was okay, but not as good as Singletary. 

This right here.

16 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Gannon must not have studied ONE MINUTE for that game. Talk about mailing it in. Sheeesh 

Agreed.  My question is how long do the announcers have before they know their schedule in week one and then the following weeks?

Gannon was horrendous. I also noticed the “John Smoke Brown” call for the Jets WR. I got a good laugh at that one. Gannon wanted Bell to go off so bad, he must have been super disappointed that he only had 90 combined yards. Also, any mistake Darnold made was not mentioned. Any mistake Allen made they amplified. Any good play Allen made was marginalized. A good play for Darnold and Gannon was as giddy as a school girl. Just terrible color commentary. Hopefully we get Romo one of these games soon. 

2 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Gannon was horrendous. I also noticed the “John Smoke Brown” call for the Jets WR. I got a good laugh at that one. Gannon wanted Bell to go off so bad, he must have been super disappointed that he only had 90 combined yards. Also, any mistake Darnold made was not mentioned. Any mistake Allen made they amplified. Any good play Allen made was marginalized. A good play for Darnold and Gannon was as giddy as a school girl. Just terrible color commentary. Hopefully we get Romo one of these games soon. 

If the Bills are 2-1 or 3-0 heading into our game with NE that should be the primary game for CBS hence Romo.

Gannon seems to be mailing it in.  His experience lends itself to being able to evaluate the plays happening in front of him but it's pretty clear he's not doing very much research beforehand about the individual rosters.

• Like (+1) 1