Would you change team name if you had the power?

13 hours ago, BrycePaup4ever said:

I like the Buffalo Bullets, Bulls ( payoff UB), Bisons (pay off Chip the mascot), Braves or something else.

Bullets and Braves!?!?!

Dude, it's 2019.

13 hours ago, SDS said:

Given that the team is branded themselves as the buffalo buffaloes, we should just go the Madonna/Sting route and just call ourselves Buffalo with no nickname.

Not sure if you were being facetious, but I actually really like that idea.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I liked the team's original name -- Bisons. I've never cared for "Bills" even though this will always be my team. I'd like to see new new unis too -- Beige, brown (trim) and a copper bison head on the helmet.

Barf emoji.

This is a topic I have thought about over the years.  I think our team nickname of "Bills" is weird and doesn't really make a lot of sense, and I've pretty much always felt that way.

But we have had it for a long time now, so changing it would mean changing history.  

Not sure I would want to do that.  

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Thank god the team name is tied to the city.  The franchise likely would have moved a long time ago with a more transportable name.  

Honestly the team name has nothing whatsoever to do with the team not moving.

9 hours ago, freddyjj said:

buffalo_bill_cody.png

afl-game-program_1963-10-26_bos-buf.jpg

Here are early AFL pr posters

I have never seen this before!

The Buffalo Bill cartoon character with the football is absolutely fantastic, and much better than what we have on our helmets now.  For sure.  I have never liked the running buffalo, though I did like the standing, grazing bison.  

I think it could be worked on and improved, but that is a hell of a good start.

Would seamlessly tied into a mascot in the stadium too.  And you could even ride the "old west" motif further with maybe some old cannons firing to signal touchdowns or what not.

Three things about this franchise that should never ever ever EVER be changed:

1. The Buffalo location (on that note, please put the new stadium in downtown Buffalo).

2. The Bills name (homage to the defunct AAFC Buffalo Bills from 1946-49 that should have joined the NFL with the Browns, 49ers, and original Colts).

3. The red, white, and blue colors (I believe - but I could be wrong - an homage to the original NFL Buffalo All-Americans franchise from the 1920's who arguably deserved to have won the first two league titles in 1920 and 1921).

11 hours ago, from_dunkirk said:

Bullets is not possible, given the political climate this century. It's a non-starter.

Just ask the Washington Bullets

Hayes and Unseld - Washington Bullets

Image result for washington wizards

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Jigsaw2112 said:

As long as the Redskins still exist, no one should be complaining about the Bills.  Although if a name change became necessary, Bison or Stampede make the most sense without changing everything.

Buffalo Bill Cody was a scout for the Third Cavalry in the Plains Wars.  He was actually awarded a Medal of Honor for attacking the Lakota and stealing their horses.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Buffalo Bill Cody was a scout for the Third Cavalry in the Plains Wars.  He was actually awarded a Medal of Honor for attacking the Lakota and stealing their horses.  

Hey, I never said the guy was a saint, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if there was eventually a call to rename the team. All I was trying to say is at least it's not a literal racial slur.

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Winning the medal of war is among the highest praise an American can receive. I did not know this. I am very proud to support a team named after a medal of honor winner. 

• Like (+1) 1