How upset will you be if Josh Allen Plays like Mitch Tubisky on Week 1

Nester

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I didn't expect the GB defense to be exceptional. Average to very good but not exceptional. They made Trubisky look really bad. Whether jitters or game plan or lack of execution, he was bad. 

To answer your question, I'd be very upset if Josh performs like that. But let me clarify, I won't be upset if we lose as long as he performs well and balls out.

No disrespect, but I wholly disagree with the last statement. The most important thing is to WIN in this league. I'd be much more upset if we lose and Allen plays well than if we WIN an ugly game.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

No disrespect, but I wholly disagree with the last statement. The most important thing is to WIN in this league. I'd be much more upset if we lose and Allen plays well than if we WIN an ugly game.

None taken, I want to win just as much as anyone. We have a raw prospect that still has a ways to go in becoming a franchise QB. You have to keep in mind there are 11 guys on the other side trying to win as well. 

Make no mistake, there will be games when Josh plays well and we still lose. He only controls a third of the team. Someone can miss a crucial FG, drops a pass, someone can fumble a key possession, Defense doesn't get off the field or make a key stop. This schitt will happen and Josh can't control it.

True, a win is a win ugly or not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'd be concerned but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I hope and expect Josh to play well on Sunday though. But it is one game and I would be imploring people to keep things in perspective. 

If Brian Daboll no more than 7 points down called 32 passes and 3 runs in a half I would be more angry and more worried. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I’ll be upset of our offensive line doesn’t pass block a lot better than Green Bay’s.  That was embarrassing.  I thought Rodgers was going to get killed in the first half.

All the more surprising given that other than probably at LG they have proven NFL performers on that line. I would expect their 2nd round pick Elgton Jenkins to get on the field sooner rather than later. I didn't watch any Packers pre-season games so I was a little surprised to see him not starting, presumably he has taken a bit of time to adjust. 

But I think most of it looked like a poorly coached and poorly prepared line that hasn't yet fully understood what they are being asked to do. There is a lot of scheme difference between that McCarthy and Philbin were running and what the Packers are running now. They also lost one of the very best OL coaches in the business in the offseason in James Campen who went to the Browns. He was my 1st choice for the Bills OL job when it was up in the summer. 

If my line is going to suck I prefer it to be a Bills 2018 like suck where I can just look and go "yea this is down to talent." When I look and see a franchise LT, an established vet at RT, a center who has played well before in this league and a FA guard who has had some success in the league too.... and I still get a performance like that.... then I worry about scheme and coaching. 

15 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

That is not the question in the title or the original post.  Would you be happy if Allen played line Aaron Rodgers last night?

Yes!! Aaron Rodgers played against, probably, the best defense in the NFL and led his team to the TD they needed to win the game!! So, HELL YES I'd be happy.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

All the more surprising given that other than probably at LG they have proven NFL performers on that line. I would expect their 2nd round pick Elgton Jenkins to get on the field sooner rather than later. I didn't watch any Packers pre-season games so I was a little surprised to see him not starting, presumably he has taken a bit of time to adjust. 

But I think most of it looked like a poorly coached and poorly prepared line that hasn't yet fully understood what they are being asked to do. There is a lot of scheme difference between that McCarthy and Philbin were running and what the Packers are running now. They also lost one of the very best OL coaches in the business in the offseason in James Campen who went to the Browns. He was my 1st choice for the Bills OL job when it was up in the summer. 

If my line is going to suck I prefer it to be a Bills 2018 like suck where I can just look and go "yea this is down to talent." When I look and see a franchise LT, an established vet at RT, a center who has played well before in this league and a FA guard who has had some success in the league too.... and I still get a performance like that.... then I worry about scheme and coaching. 

Sometimes you have to simply tip your hat to the defense on the other side. That Bear front seven is one of the best. 

As I was watching that game, I was telling my son about some of you guys. Hoping you were seeing it too. Cause if Allen plays like Trubinsky OR Rodgers, some of you will b*tch and moan about that bad read, those 3 inaccurate passes, the bad time management... Like somehow some of you forget players (and QBs!) don't make all the right calls and plays all the time... 

Edited by Jerome007

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is, without question. But there were plenty of confused or blown assignments too. 

Blown assignments will happen for sure. But when a great LT like Bakhtiari gets bull-rushed into Rogers like he did by Floyd Thursday night, you just have to chalk it up to a great play by a good player. Sometimes we just can’t scheme a way out of getting our asses handed to us. 

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Blown assignments will happen for sure. But when a great LT like Bakhtiari gets bull-rushed into Rogers like he did by Floyd Thursday night, you just have to chalk it up to a great play by a good player. Sometimes we just can’t scheme a way out of getting our asses handed to us. 

Yes of course. But that wasn't every play. There were plenty of others where it looked like poor coaching and poor preparation. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes of course. But that wasn't every play. There were plenty of others where it looked like poor coaching and poor preparation. 

Thus my use of the word “sometimes.” 

I agree entirely with your larger point. That was a fugly game from an execution standpoint. Which stands to reason when you haven’t seen live action since January. I look for more of it tomorrow and Monday.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I dare say some are secretly rooting for that.

Someone posts this sentiment every 30 seconds around here.

Why do you think some Bills fans are secretly rooting for that?

I am as big a Josh Allen critic as there is at this board.  I think he will be mediocre, a failure, and we will be looking for another QB in due course.

But guess what?!  I still want the guy to end up being better than Jim Kelly and for us to go on a wild winning streak this year!  And for me to say "Wow, I really had that wrong!"  

Why is it so hard for some here to understand the two competing thoughts?

I would suggest any Bills fan who literally wants Allen to fail is not a Bills fan and therefore, you should not concern yourself with such a person anymore than you would concern yourself with some Patriots fan and what he thinks about Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That's the problem with teams not playing their starters in the preseason. Practice and scrimmages are not the same as a full speed game. I was disappointed after watching that Bears / Packers game, knowing that very well could be the Bills tomorrow. It'll probably take teams a couple weeks to get the offense going into full swing. Do the Bills have a couple weeks? Each / Every game is important...especially one against a division rival.  If we do lose and he does end up playing like Rodgers or Trubisky did the other night, this board and others will be intolerable. 

A better question would be how upset would you be if he played like Rodgers----who completed 18 passes for 166 net yards (accounting for the 5 sacks and 37 yards lost on those)?

Everyone is talking about how bad Trubisky played, but Rodgers was a dud but for one drive.

• Like (+1) 1