OAK planning to suspend AB (edit: apologized, playing)

Reed83HOF

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nope. No deal in place. 

(in the original tweet, "this" and "close" are on opposite sides of the page)

And another voice weighing in:

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think David would have said it on air if he didn't talk to his brother first.  

Agreed, and also had his brother's buy-in to say it.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Depends upon who one believes whether the deal was in place.  It seems likely Beane talked to Pittsburgh about a deal.  Whether it fell through because Pitts wanted more than we'd pay or because the Bills wanted AB to play out his contract, seems unclear. 

GMs can't be counted on to tell the straight story about their deals, but I tend to believe Beane has more connection to reality and facts than AB.  So there's that.

Agreed we can't take their word for it.   "McCoy is our starter" "We are not trading for all these draft picks to get a QB" etc.  But in this case there is a lot of smoke, yeah we dont know the facts.  But I was happy then and happy now it did not happen.

I don't even know Mike Mayock, But he strikes me as a guy who would be fair to work with...I mean you can meet him half way, or at least try. Mayock attempted to reach out to Brown like he would any other player, except Brown is no normal player.

1 hour ago, dubs said:

Who care what people’s position on AB was at the time. Jeez.  Both positions were perfectly reasonable. On one hand he’s one of the best receivers in the league and fills a massive void for the Bills and they had a ton of cap room. On the other he’s demonstrated he was a huge risk. Some people wanted to take the risk, others didn’t. 

As it turns out, this looks like a huge mistake for the raiders. But if he comes back in week 2 and goes for 1,4000/10, then it will all blow over. 

What do you mean who cares?  It's a football message board.   People express opinions and talk. 

The point is, if you're going to call out other people for their opinions, claim they backtrack and, etc., expect it back.

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You gotta think David got the straight gouge from his kid brother if he said that.

If I were a Raiders player, especially the Raiders QB, I'd be beyond fed up.  First the guy freezes his feet off and disappears to treat them.  Then the helmet thing.

Meanwhile everyone else is grinding and working on the playbook.  And this is not a situation where the guy has a history with the team and has helped them win for years.

I think Mayock was in a lose-lose situation.   Yeah, yeah, I know, stars get treated differently.  They get to have bluetooth speakers and their own mini fridge stocked as they like at their locker.  Maybe they go to the head of the line waiting for the masseur or they get to bring their own person into the facility.  But when it comes to the fundamentals - meetings, practices etc - the star has to at least pretend to be part of the team. 

Mayock may have been trying to work 1:1 with Brown and bring him into the fold, but it had gotten to where he had to draw a line I think.

Gruden was buddy-buddy with AB and that got them nowhere.  So Mayock had to step in and lay down the law.  No one should blame him for Gruden's failures.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Got a link for that?

You really don't know what you are talking about, Chief.

Oh but I do, I do. 

Your comments in the earlier thread were:

"This thread will look like pure gold by November...." - how does it look now ?

"No but I’m betting AB will be AB on the field...all this other stuff is just fun (or, for the majority of the posters in this thread, whistling past the graveyard)." - what if AB doesnt see the field to start the season due to his own actions ?

"Who knows.  Who cares.  If he doesn’t play this year then we can have this discussion " - can we now start thinking about the discussion ?

In true fashion, you will go off on tangents but the statements above were opposing other posters who said that his attitude is a big problem and will hurt the Raiders.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

Oh but I do, I do. 

Your comments in the earlier thread were:

"This thread will look like pure gold by November...." - how does it look now ?

"No but I’m betting AB will be AB on the field...all this other stuff is just fun (or, for the majority of the posters in this thread, whistling past the graveyard)." - what if AB doesnt see the field to start the season due to his own actions ?

"Who knows.  Who cares.  If he doesn’t play this year then we can have this discussion " - can we now start thinking about the discussion ?

In true fashion, you will go off on tangents but the statements above were opposing other posters who said that his attitude is a big problem and will hurt the Raiders.

Where's the "defense" or "excuse"?  It took you all this time.....and this is what you bring? 

If he doesn't see the field then it's because of his own actions.  

If he does play after his tantrum is over, and he plays to his usual level, no one will be talking about his off season in November.

What's so hard for you to understand in all this?

1 hour ago, dubs said:

Who care what people’s position on AB was at the time. Jeez.  Both positions were perfectly reasonable. On one hand he’s one of the best receivers in the league and fills a massive void for the Bills and they had a ton of cap room. On the other he’s demonstrated he was a huge risk. Some people wanted to take the risk, others didn’t. 

As it turns out, this looks like a huge mistake for the raiders. But if he comes back in week 2 and goes for 1,4000/10, then it will all blow over. 

Isn't it amazing you have to spell it out for some like this?

Crazy.

3 hours ago, Beane/Allen said:

He was smiling a lot during his answer.

Just the normal BS.  Not exactly positive he has a lot of faith in his client. 

If he is as smart as he thinks he is, he is smiling because agent structured contract with Brown such that he gets his full commission no matter what Brown does.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

He is working on getting translator so he gets some value with trade with Siberian Tigers.

"Вы идете в Сибирь, вы идете"

Tigers with eye patches. Have to stay true to the brand.

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Apologies if this was linked and I missed it....AB's actual contract per PFT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/05/antonio-brown-may-end-up-getting-no-payment-at-all-from-the-raiders/

Key points:

PFT has obtained an analyzed a full copy of the contract. The $1 million signing bonus contained in the deal actually took the form of a pair of guaranteed $500,000 workout bonuses for 2019 and 2020. The 2019 payment nevertheless hinged upon Brown participating in at least 85 percent of the 2019 offseaon program.

Per a league source, NFLPA records reveal that he did not earn the $500,000, which means that he failed to participate in at least 85 percent of the offseason program. Thus, to date, Brown has gotten no payment from the Raiders under the contract.

Here’s the language from the contract, as to each guaranteed payment: “Notwithstanding this Skill, Injury, and Cap Guarantee, Player shall report to Club, practice with Club, play with Club, and honor all terms of the Contract, including all addenda thereto. If at any time player does not report to Club; does not practice or play with Club; leaves Club without prior written approval (including, but not limited to, retirement); does not honor any terms of the Contract (including any addenda thereto); is suspended by the NFL or Club for conduct detrimental, violation of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy, violation of agreements between Club and Player . . . then player shall be in default . . . and the Skill, Injury, and Cap guarantee shall be null and void and Player shall only be eligible to earn his remaining stated Paragraph 5 salary on a weekly, non-guaranteed basis.”

So basically, OAK covered their bets with regard to AB in writing him that big contract...and even if they don't suspend him, he may have already voided his guarantees by not reporting or practicing with the club.  Certainly if they suspend him....he's gonna be down to getting his paycheck week by week (or not).  And OAK can cut him without taking a big cap hit.

Wow.

The way I read this, which may be the way you are reading it, he is already in default. If this is indeed the case then the contract automatically terminates the guarantee. It's as though it never existed. If they decide to kiss and make up it may then be necessary to revise the contract. Given the wording if I were Brown's agent I don't think I'd be comfortable having to rely on the theory that the Raiders had by their conduct waived a stipulation inserted exclusively for their own benefit.

I wonder if these are standard terms in player contracts or whether they are special because of Brown's baggage.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

What do you mean who cares?  It's a football message board.   People express opinions and talk. 

The point is, if you're going to call out other people for their opinions, claim they backtrack and, etc., expect it back.

Heres kind of a light-hearted humorous recap:

1) You called out WEO for wanting AB

2) WEO called you out for not wanting AB

3) You called out WEO when AB went berserk for originally calling you out

4) I called out you for calling out WEO for originally calling you out

5) You called me out for calling you out for calling out WEO for calling you out. 

? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Every team has "the Process".  McD has nothing unique in that regard.  All the azzclowns find a spot on a roster. 

No way Beane would have made a move for AB without McD saying "check it out". 

"Process" is what they feed the press mand the fans.  But these guys know (as does the roster) that you put up with some azzclownery for the right talent.  This has always been the way.

This. Half of the players in the NFL would not be employed if there was what some people call the "process". 

Its entertaining to hear stuff like "I still doubt McD would have wanted AB". As if McD has some either prophetic powers or is on some other moral level. The Bills have employed and kicked the tires on tons players with baggage or other issues. Just look at Jerry Hughes, Zay Jones, Shady, Incognito, Dodson, Duke Williams and more. End of the day teams want players that can help them win and hope to limit the nonsense. The better you are the more teams will put up with.