Lesean McCoy cut!

Just now, MJS said:

That's not what people have been saying all off season and preseason. People have been talking about trading McCoy. Obviously not for a high draft pick, but for a 5th or a 6th. Beane couldn't get that and now we know that. But most people assumed he could have. Seems the revisionist history has already begun.

Most assumed he would be on the team. Now people are revising that history and will say "I always knew he wouldn't make the team".

Most assumed he would not be outright cut. Now people will say "I always knew he'd be cut". People can lie through their teeth if they want. Truth is there were a couple McCoy naysayers and the rest believed that McCoy was going to have a bounce back year with the Bills.

People, on this very thread, in response to others who asked your very same question many pages ago responded correctly that McCoy had no trade value, because he doesn't.

Hence, I suggested you scroll back to see how many others, on this thread,  had already answered your "surprise they not able to trade him" position.

I just don't see how this makes us a better football team this year. We're a billion dollars under the cap, and even if they want to give others players more run, he's a useful piece to have. Reminds me of the Watkins/Darby trades where they just wanted them gone.

Edited by BullBuchanan

29 minutes ago, blogic2 said:

I just would have preferred that the GM and Coach did not speak publicly like he would be the starter up to the moment they cut him. I hope that there is more to the story. And I hope that the announcement did not really come out of the blue to McCoy. They should have at least talked to him first. 

I'm sure they talked to him first. 

My guess is that they were speaking as though he would be the starter because they were trying to explore his trade value.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We just need Brady and Belichick.  

I said they should have traded him years ago.  But they couldn’t get anything for him.  He was going to be the center piece to the Clowney trade!!! ?

I did draft Singletary in my keeper league on Wednesday.  

?

...GOOD call bud..:thumbsup:...he could be our Sproules with a spritz of the Metcalfs (Terry & Eric) or Meggett (BEFORE jail) thrown in...stay tuned.....

Just now, Epstein's Mother said:

Belichick's philosophy has always seemed to be that it's better to move a player one year too early rather than one year to late.  An argument can be made that this was already one year too late.

And Belichick's had good teams for the past decade.   Makes that tactic a lot easier to implement...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I just don't see how this makes us a better football team this year. We're a billion dollars under the cap, and even if they want to give others players more run, he's a useful piece to have.

He's not a positive force in The Process.  

I bet his fate was sealed when McD benched him, a team captain, for a start late in the season.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I just don't see how this makes us a better football team this year. We're a billion dollars under the cap, and even if they want to give others players more run, he's a useful piece to have.

My guess is that it has to do with the overall roster: wanting to keep a good young player at another position, as well as preseason assessments of the depth at the RB position and assessing what McCoy has left.  But it's almost certainly a "big picture" roster decision and not just limited to the RB room.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

People, on this very thread, in response to others who asked your very same question many pages ago responded correctly that McCoy had no trade value, because he doesn't.

Hence, I suggested you scroll back to see how many others, on this thread,  had already answered your "surprise they not able to trade him" position.

Are you seriously arguing with someone about the fact that they were surprised about something?  I'm surprised they could get a 6th for bodine and nothing for mccoy.  Why are you choosing this battle to engage in?

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yep, those people were surprised too. If they say they weren't they are not being truthful.

We all know now he didn't have trade value. And we are all surprised by that.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

New here?    That's always how TSW's rolled...

...LMAO!!....honorable mention to the TBD "Fire McBeane...fire McDermott now Gang" and how or why Pegula did NOT heed their advice (COUGH).....bet he hired armed bodyguards....

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Scroll back at the pages and pages explaining this

I don't think someone should have to read through 17 pages to see if their thought has already been expressed. 

He wasn't looking for an answer. He just made a statement.

59 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

Having multiple, overpaid under performing aging players will do that.. 

See Dareus, Super Mario, etc. It adds up after awhile. 

Beane is being progressive by getting rid of Shady now rather than taking the hit. 

but it's the last year of his contract...if they don't want to pay him, fine but it's not a cap issue....his contract is done after this season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We just need Brady and Belichick.  

I said they should have traded him years ago.  But they couldn’t get anything for him.  He was going to be the center piece to the Clowney trade!!! ?

I did draft Singletary in my keeper league on Wednesday.  

?

Also fyi, don’t be a Richard and ruin a movie for no reason!

...I hate splinters, especially "pressure treated"......:D

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sure they talked to him first. 

My guess is that they were speaking as though he would be the starter because they were trying to explore his trade value.

The quote is that McCoy's camp said the release came out of left field.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lesean-mccoy-surprisingly-out-in-buffalo-as-bills-cut-ties-with-veteran-running-back/

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/31/buffalo-bills-cut-lesean-mccoy-devin-singletary

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Yep, those people were surprised too. If they say they weren't they are not being truthful.

We all know now he didn't have trade value. And we are all surprised by that.

You were surprised that, after last season and at age 31 and still drawing top 10 money, the Bills couldn't find interest from another team willing to take his contract?

It's a surprise cut (as opposed to just eating his salary and keeping him around).  But to be surprised, this late in the preseason, that no team wanted to give up anything for him.....is kind of nuts.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

There must have been no trade market for him at all because there's no way they would have released him without looking into that. I'm honestly shocked.

My guess is Beane did this as a favor to him so he could pick his own suitors.

Wishing Shady good fortunes and hopefully some more good football. Thanks for some great memories during a mediocre stretch of Bills football. 

Somewhat related, I have a feeling we are in for another year of Patrick DiMarco in a Bills uni. I bet he makes it over Senorita Perry.