Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

McCoy says he’s been told he’s “the guy” in 2019, discusses trade rumors

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

The Bills invested a lot of money in the New OL. I see no excuses this year.

Invested a lot of money spread over like 8 guys aside from Morse, and Morse is very possibly another concussion this year away from making a business decision with his future health and retiring.  I still view our OL as an extremely patchwork line, very much a work in progress.

First:  I believed Beane all along when he insisted Shady was fully in the plans for this season over and over again.  

Second:  I am fully aware that a GM can think one thing one day, and then something different later, so no endorsement is a guarantee.  

Third:  I still have never really felt Shady was likely going to be traded given he's a talented Vet and very close to both Allen and Gore, who came here to play with Shady.

BUT:  With that being said, am I the only one SUPER curious about what two teams "wanted" Shady in a trade as he alluded to in his interview?  And what were they offering that Beane turned down?  Be interesting to know who they were and what there RB situation currently was because if one of those teams got an injury this preseason, makes you wonder if they would make Beane a new offer he could not refuse.

I mean its pretty easy turn down if its like a 6th, or 7th round pick.  But a 4th starts to get pretty tempting, and a 3rd would be getting into no brainer territory.  So I am going to just assume it was a low round pick offered, because I find it tough to think Beane would turn down a 4th or higher.  I also think there is probably no chance anyone would have offered a quality pick for a 32 year old RB coming off his worst professional season unless their situation got dire.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

I don't see McCoy getting cut, but I still have a hunch he could be traded before the regular season if the right deal is out there and Singletary looks like a stud in preseason (which I'm expecting).

Best case is that we could package him in a deal to Houston for Clowney so we don't have to give up a first round pick. Could definitely see Beane pulling the trigger on a deal like that.

Nobody is giving anything valuable for Clowney at this point because he is a one year rental. He is tagged and the negotiation deadline has passed. So he will be a FA after the season unless said team is willing to use the 2nd year tag with its additional cost on him and at that stage the team who has traded for him has almost no leverage. I suppose there is a chance the Bills could offer Shady for Clowney straight up but why the hell would Houston take that for one of the best players in the NFL? 

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First:  I believed Beane all along when he insisted Shady was fully in the plans for this season over and over again.  

Second:  I am fully aware that a GM can think one thing one day, and then something different later, so no endorsement is a guarantee.  

Third:  I still have never really felt Shady was likely going to be traded given he's a talented Vet and very close to both Allen and Gore, who came here to play with Shady.

BUT:  With that being said, am I the only one SUPER curious about what two teams "wanted" Shady in a trade as he alluded to in his interview?  And what were they offering that Beane turned down?  Be interesting to know who they were and what there RB situation currently was because if one of those teams got an injury this preseason, makes you wonder if they would make Beane a new offer he could not refuse.

I mean its pretty easy turn down if its like a 6th, or 7th round pick.  But a 4th starts to get pretty tempting, and a 3rd would be getting into no brainer territory.  So I am going to just assume it was a low round pick offered, because I find it tough to think Beane would turn down a 4th or higher.  I also think there is probably no chance anyone would have offered a quality pick for a 32 year old RB coming off his worst professional season unless their situation got dire.

I think McDermott and Beane know Shady is popular in the locker room and while he might not be a leader in the conventional sense I think they understand the role he plays in there. I don't see a trade before the season. If by the deadline he is not the best running back on the Bills then maybe he gets moved at that point. I am far from convinced he won't still be our best back in 2019 though. 

I'm excited to see if he still has it, but also, Singletary will be the future.  It should be interesting to say the least, how this plays out.

It's all up to the OL how good Shady runs. He is still a sure handed receiver. 

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This again?  What is with "the guy" that he has to keep reassuring himself that he's the same ol' Shady in public utterings?

The best part is that "he told the Bills website" that the Bills told him that he's the guy this year.  LOLOL  WTF is that?

Actually I think it was the assistant equipment manager who heard it from the janitor who told him.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

I'd flip Shady for a decent backup center.

We already have one , Spencer Long with two good hands, no ligament damage

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

We already have one , Spencer Long with two good hands, no ligament damage

Oh yeah. I was thinking Bodine.

I'm not feeling like he will have a comeback player of the year type season.  Hope Singletary takes the job from him very quickly.

52 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

One ping only please

Image result for sean connery hunt for red october gif

15 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Obviously they're not going to tell him that he's trade bait if that's what they're planning, so what he's been told is irrelevant. With that said, I have no doubt that he WILL be the guy this year.

Usually you hear about it on the grapevine - guess you'll find out soon if LA or Dallas is desperate for RB help on their holdouts.  While they may call, i don't think we're advertising it.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think McDermott and Beane know Shady is popular in the locker room and while he might not be a leader in the conventional sense I think they understand the role he plays in there. I don't see a trade before the season. If by the deadline he is not the best running back on the Bills then maybe he gets moved at that point. I am far from convinced he won't still be our best back in 2019 though. 

Im on the same page as you, still curious to who the teams were he referenced. 

I just hope that if McCoy doesn't have it anymore (or if he dances around too much, which is just as likely), that the team doesn't wait too long to make the switch to someone else.  Regardless of if that means reduced duty, benching, release, or a trade.  I'm especially excited to see if Singletary can bring a level of explosiveness that McCoy probably can't bring at this point in his career.

I know this might be controversial.... but I think the expectation levels for Singletary might be getting a little out of kilter..... 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I disagree with your first part.  I think the Bills FO has probably been pretty straight forward with McCoy.

I think they discussed potential trading partners last year and probably again this year, but they see value in McCoy above what they can get in trade.

I agree. Why stir things up. If he was gone it would have happened by now. A rebuilt offensive line lends to the Bills confidence that McCoy can return to form...however brief it may be. 

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I know this might be controversial.... but I think the expectation levels for Singletary might be getting a little out of kilter..... 

Not really.  Rookies have been tearing it up at RB.

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This again?  What is with "the guy" that he has to keep reassuring himself that he's the same ol' Shady in public utterings?

The best part is that "he told the Bills website" that the Bills told him that he's the guy this year.  LOLOL  WTF is that?

The Bills' website interviewed him and he told them that he was told he'd be the guy.  CBS is referencing that.  Not hard to figure out.

And I hope for all the RBs' sakes that Morse is back soon.  Or Long.  I just don't trust Bodine.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

The Bills' website interviewed him and he told them that he was told he'd be the guy.  CBS is referencing that.  Not hard to figure out.

So until McCoy told him in "an interview",  it was news to Chris Brown that the Bills told McCoy that he was "the man"?

That's a good one, doc...

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not really.  Rookies have been tearing it up at RB.

Not every rookie. Some rookies have. I am still sceptical about Singletary's ability to have a big impact on early downs against staked boxes. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Not every rookie. Some rookies have. I am still sceptical about Singletary's ability to have a big impact on early downs against staked boxes. 

Not all, no.  But enough to be encouraged over the past few seasons.  We've seen what McCoy is up to against stacked boxes.....

Posted (edited)

So until McCoy told him in "an interview",  it was news to Chris Brown that the Bills told McCoy that he was "the man"?

That's a good one, doc...

Yeah, apparently CB either didn't know or knew and wanted people to hear it from Shady.  Learn to unbunch the panties whenever you see Shady's name...

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not every rookie. Some rookies have. I am still sceptical about Singletary's ability to have a big impact on early downs against staked boxes

Why?  Because of speed?  Size?

Edited by Doc

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why?  Because of speed?  Size?

Size mainly and I don't see that explosion. He has good vision, cuts well and good in space. But I still think he is a change of pace back rather than an every down back at this stage. Might be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

If they get offered a 4th, he’s gone.  They probably would do it for a 5th.  They should have traded him last offseason.  His value plummeted.