Bills Training Camp Day 10 (8/5)

20 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Allen bounces back? Were Thad Brown and Joe B watching the same practice?

Thad Brown has been tough on Josh Allen since they drafted him.

Sounds like Allen has struggled in red zone work, but I am guessing they dont want him running the ball during these reps. That takes away his biggest advantage in the red zone and if the defense knows he isn't running kind of tips the scales in the favor of the defense

• Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Allen bounces back? Were Thad Brown and Joe B watching the same practice?

Day 10 offensive MVP: QB Josh Allen — The quarterback provided a firm answer after a pair of challenging practices. Most importantly, he didn’t try to force a throw that wasn’t there, which has led to some problems in previous practices.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is a general question because I've been out of the loop for the past few weeks, but any word on how Singletary has looked thus far? Tough to gauge a RB in camp, but I'd appreciate any insight.

Someone else already mentioned that he's shown some good flashes and spent time with the ones.

One thing that person did NOT mention is that out of the three main running backs, Singeltary's been the most involved -- and has made the most plays -- in the passing game. Don't be surprised if he winds up the 3rd down back and/or winds up having a Kamara-like involvement in the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Someone else already mentioned that he's shown some good flashes and spent time with the ones.

One thing that person did NOT mention is that out of the three main running backs, Singeltary's been the most involved -- and has made the most plays -- in the passing game. Don't be surprised if he winds up the 3rd down back and/or winds up having a Kamara-like involvement in the offense.

Considering his lack of recieving production in college(I know the offensive design precluded receiving opportunities) and less than idea athleticism, I'd be pretty surprised to see him in a Kamara like role. Pleasantly surprised for sure. My ideal comp would be Travis Henry. If he can be Travis Henry like, it'll be a home run pick. We shall see. He's got more wiggle than Henry, so perhaps they will send him out more than I personally expect.

41 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Considering his lack of recieving production in college(I know the offensive design precluded receiving opportunities) and less than idea athleticism, I'd be pretty surprised to see him in a Kamara like role. Pleasantly surprised for sure. My ideal comp would be Travis Henry. If he can be Travis Henry like, it'll be a home run pick. We shall see. He's got more wiggle than Henry, so perhaps they will send him out more than I personally expect.

I hear ya.

I'm only repeating what I've read repeatedly from multiple different beat reporters, TBD members, and analysts that have been to Bills practices.

I know the book on him coming out of college was that he wouldn't be a part of you passing game. However, based on the amount of work he's been getting the passing game so far through camp and the amount of plays he's made within that framework, I'm suggesting that he may pleasantly surprise us all and may prove the doubts about his receiving ability to be ill-founded. 

As for less than ideal athleticism? I don't see that at all. Less than ideal speed and size? Sure. But he's got outrageous lateral agility and stop-and-start ability. 

Guess we'll all see in a few nights, eh?

• Thank you (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I know the book on him coming out of college was that he wouldn't be a part of you passing game. However, based on the amount of work he's been getting the passing game so far through camp and the amount of plays he's made within that framework, I'm suggesting that he may pleasantly surprise us all and may prove the doubts about his receiving ability to be ill-founded. 

Please don't interpret this as a prediction Singletary will be anything close to Thurman Thomas, but FWIW Thurman never caught more than 25 passes in a season at OSU, and his average over four seasons was about 21.

Point being...one can't necessarily predict a RB's ability in the passing game by simply looking at college production.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

Please don't interpret this as a prediction Singletary will be anything close to Thurman Thomas, but FWIW Thurman never caught more than 25 passes in a season at OSU, and his average over four seasons was about 21.

Point being...one can't necessarily predict a RB's ability in the passing game by simply looking at college production.

LT never caught more than 16 passes in a season at TCU. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

To piggy-back on the Thurman parallel (NOT saying you were implying or that I am, that Singletary will be like Thurman), but Thurman wasn't a blazer. He didn't have the straight line speed. He and Emmitt Smith (sadly enough) were similar in that they got you the 5 yards, shimmy and get 12 or 15, and then just keep getting small chunks and fall forward for an extra yard. Honestly, as fans we've become so enamored with the "big play" we've forgotten how football was won for decades. It's the moderate chunk plays that so often dictate a good game Offensively, not so much the 70 yard TD. Something I hope Allen is learning and IMHO, it's something Singletary does well. He bounces and shifts and gets 5, 7 yards but won't string out a Defense and turn the corner for 50. That's perfectly ok if he keeps the moderate chunks coming. It also means he's not speed dependent and in the Red Zone, you don't have 20 yards to use speed, you get a few small feet to shimmy, shift, and wiggle through the pack over the line. Again, Thurman-esque. So, let's see - but I'm not concerned with his Combine speed.