Bills Training Camp Day 5 - 7/30

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Levi was undrafted....that is real gold

That’s one of the things that made me such a fan of McDermott in Carolina (starting with that 2013 defense, or really, the 2nd half of 2012). 

He always seemed to be developing later round + undrafted players and putting them into a position to succeed, a lot of times right away (like 2013, they had 3-5 rookies on the field at times on defense and they were the best defense in the NFL).

Same with some of the lower tier free agents they’d sign.

He just seemed to find ways to get the most out of his players. IMO that’s one of the marks of a good coach. 

Heres a good article on McDermott that 2013 Carolina defense - 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9992021/carolina-panthers-stellar-defense-blast-past

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A pair of explosive defensive ends who wreak havoc on quarterbacks. Quick, disruptive defensive tackles who are a blend of experience and youth. A middle linebacker arguably playing at a level higher than anybody else at his position. A secondary without any big-name stars.

This looks oh-so familiar.

People outside of Charlotte can probably name just as many members of the 2003 secondary as they can this unit -- zero.

"This Carolina defense, in some regards, is one of the best defensive coaching jobs I've seen," said former Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden, a color analyst for ESPN's "Monday Night Football."

"There's some similarities," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "They're really disciplined, they're sound. There's not many plays where you feel like, 'Well, this will be an easy 10 yards here, or an easy 15 yards here.'"

The architect

Cornerback Captain Munnerlyn laughed when asked to describe defensive coordinator Sean McDermott.

He methodically has added pieces to take Carolina from 28th in defense in 2011 to 10th a year ago to the Panthers' current status in which they are ranked in the top five in almost every statistical category.

"Sean McDermott deserves a lot of credit," Gruden said

The simplicity of the defense is the beauty of it, which also was the case in 2003. It doesn't rely on a superstar to make a huge impact. Three different Panthers have been named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week: Hardy against the Giants, Davis against Minnesota and Kuechly.

At key times there are three to five rookies on the field.

"There's a lot of no-name players out there," Gruden said.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

That’s one of the things that made me such a fan of McDermott in Carolina (starting with that 2013 defense, or really, the 2nd half of 2012). 

He always seemed to be developing later round + undrafted players and putting them into a position to succeed, a lot of times right away (like 2013, they had 3-5 rookies on the field at times on defense and they were the best defense in the NFL).

Same with some of the lower tier free agents they’d sign.

He just seemed to find ways to get the most out of his players. IMO that’s one of the marks of a good coach. 

Heres a good article on McDermott that 2013 Carolina defense - 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9992021/carolina-panthers-stellar-defense-blast-past

I am also excited about the potential to have cheaper players (including draft capital) at these type of positions but he has spent a lot of capital on the defense thus far.  I get the why for it but going forward the offense is gonna need to continue to get playmakers.  On the plus side I heard next year is supposed to be a great draft of WR.

2 hours ago, Cash said:

But isn't that just basically the nickel D we ran in passing situations alot last year?  Edmunds and Milano as LBs, Hughes and Murphy as DEs, and Oliver and Alexander as DTs?  I know we played Alexander at DT in pass rush situations a lot last year.  Not sure why Sal C was so blown away to see it again.

They certainly played it some last year (though less with Murphy as he was always hurt). But Kyle and Zo at DT in 3rd and long was something we saw last year. As I said earlier not got the %s in front of me but it was definitely one of their pass rush formations. 

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

Hopefully tremaine isn’t listening to any of his advice. Unless he wants to be a broke ex ball player that begged for money from the fans after he blew millions of dollars on coke, women, and mink coats. 

I don’t remember Talley begging for money.

IIRC Wasn't it TBD’s own @ChevyVanMiller who stared the GoFundMe for him?

and Talley was great on the field. I am sure he has plenty to offer Edmunds in that regard. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

why don't they just hire Kyle as a coach?  

My guess is that he’d rather be on tv.  He meant for a tv gig.  He’s already waaaay better than most of those schlubs

• Like (+1) 1