Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Per Chris Brown, Dion Dawkins has a “virtual lock on the starting LT position”

7 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Great reporting.

Is Allen starting at QB? 

I hear they are kicking him out to TE, hopefully he can get some separation when he throws himself the ball.

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

And my point is he'll never settle for LG money. So it doesn't matter if you can justify paying him $12 mil a year to play guard. Him and his agent will find someone to pay him like a LT.

He played well his rookie year and digressed his 2nd year. I don't blame him because he had scrubs to line up with. I want to see him this year with better talent around him. If he holds his own you pay him. There simply aren't enough good or even average olinemen to go around in the league.

Not sure that's true.  Sure, he may want to be paid like a tackle, but it's not exactly a rarity for a tackle to get moved to guard and subsequently paid like a guard.  Off the top of my head I can tell you that it's happened with Rodger Saffold, Marshal Yanda, Kelechi Osemele, and James Carpenter.

Point is: if you are going to pay him like a LT, then great, leave him at LT.  If you aren't going to pay him like a LT, then wouldn't you at least entertain the possibility of getting better play out of him at guard in the hope that he'll stay there long-term?  I mean, the difference between guard money and tackle money isn't much these days anyway; 2 of the 10 highest paid OLmen in the NFL are guards.

That's fantastic. I have faith in him that he can be a good LT. Good news.

....seems a bit strange for McDermott to make "anything official" at this juncture.......

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....seems a bit strange for McDermott to make "anything official" at this juncture.......

He hasn’t ... technically. But I doubt Chris Brown says what he said on radio today without some type of message from the team to do so, or OK to do so 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He hasn’t ... technically. But I doubt Chris Brown says what he said on radio today without some type of message from the team to do so, or OK to do so 

...LOL.....CB the "official leaker"....got it............:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

Dawkins had ZERO (I will repeat) zero competition last year.  Conor McDermott and Marshall Newhouse had no chance of unseating him.

He spent the whole year on a very bad OL.  Dawkins knows he has to be better this year and has come to camp wanting to be the long

term answer at LT.  The LT position is his until someone can surpass him.

• Like (+1) 1

And in other surprising news, The Raiders are going to be on Hard Knocks this year.

Just now, WhoTom said:

And in other surprising news, The Raiders are going to be on Hard Knocks this year.

..yup...first episode is "Mark Gets A Haircut".......stay tuned............

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Chris Brown is on One Bills Live and doing a dissertation on Dawkins having that role locked down... as a mouthpiece for the team, I’d say unless he screws up off the field or otherwise we can put that discussion to rest of him moving positions.

Makes perfect sense.  Unlikely Ford's ready or capable of starting there and none of the newbies are better than Dawkins.  

6 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I can pick any lock on the market, I have a unique skill

Image result for picking a lock gif

dude

that was a game i spent too much time on. but would do it again next winterfell

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

yep :  )

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Chris Brown is on One Bills Live and doing a dissertation on Dawkins having that role locked down... as a mouthpiece for the team, I’d say unless he screws up off the field or otherwise we can put that discussion to rest of him moving positions.

I put very little stock in what Chris Brown says - and you should as well.  With that being said, I think he’s probably right here though.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I put very little stock in what Chris Brown says - and you should as well.  With that being said, I think he’s probably right here though.

Why is that?  He’s employed by the team...  whether you agree with what he’s saying or not, it’s probably happening if he’s saying it 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why is that?  He’s employed by the team...  whether you agree with what he’s saying or not, it’s probably happening if he’s saying it 

I thought Nsekhe was a virtual lock at RT until we drafted Ford.  Now I wonder if Ford starts at RG/LG to get all 3 on the field?

6 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Hoping Cody Ford can win the RT job.  If Dawkins is a lock at LT, that means Ngeski may not be quite what they thought.  Still seems very early to make this determination.

Unless Dawkins has put in a lot of work and is that good.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I thought Nsekhe was a virtual lock at RT until we drafted Ford.  Now I wonder if Ford starts at RG/LG to get all 3 on the field?

I don't know.  I guess it depends on if they want him to work at RT all summer or not.  If he starts to get a lot of snaps at G with the 2's

then maybe what you said may happen.

6 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Hoping Cody Ford can win the RT job.  If Dawkins is a lock at LT, that means Ngeski may not be quite what they thought.  Still seems very early to make this determination.

Or that Dawkins is a pretty decent player at a tough position and when you have a multi year starter like that it’s their job to lose 

I figured they would give Dawkins every chance to earn the starting LT spot because he's the only young guy who can do it.  Having Nsekhe start there only puts them in a bind a few years down the road.  And I'm sure having a competent LG next to him is helping a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Not sure that's true.  Sure, he may want to be paid like a tackle, but it's not exactly a rarity for a tackle to get moved to guard and subsequently paid like a guard.  Off the top of my head I can tell you that it's happened with Rodger Saffold, Marshal Yanda, Kelechi Osemele, and James Carpenter.

Point is: if you are going to pay him like a LT, then great, leave him at LT.  If you aren't going to pay him like a LT, then wouldn't you at least entertain the possibility of getting better play out of him at guard in the hope that he'll stay there long-term?  I mean, the difference between guard money and tackle money isn't much these days anyway; 2 of the 10 highest paid OLmen in the NFL are guards.

Ultimately, I think you can make a case to a player if you think they will be more impactful at the new position.

”we think LG is your real calling and you will be elite there” plays better then “if it’s all the same to you, we’d like to kick you inside since we have a decent backup tackle and you can probably fill a hole elsewhere”

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

The idea of moving Dawkins to guard was more focused on (a) getting the best combination of 5 on the field and (b) putting Dawkins in a position to be the greatest asset to the team.

And it wasn't a hard and fast "move him to guard"...it was that the team should be open to trying him at guard as part of their tinkering to see if that combination gave them a better set of 5.

If he stays at LT, then the team better be willing to pay him LT money in another year.  If they're not, then they should at least be willing to try him at LG to see if he's worth a premium contract at that spot.  Because one way or another, Dawkins is going to want to get paid after the 2020 season.

I think he will play well this season.

Some talented players are competitive and driven by their nature and some you have to light a fire under, but the talent is still there.

If he is the latter will he still play at a high level after a big contract?

Only time will tell, but Bean should have a healthy cap to retain key players.

9 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I mean, its fun to brainstorm as fans, but did anyone actually think this was a possibility? 

I did. Dawkins was listed as a guard when we drafted him. Add to that the Nsekhe signing, whom, by his own admission, is less comfortable on the right side. 

And this isn’t some fan-based brainstorming. There were several articles written in the subject:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/26/cody-ford-buffalo-bills-right-tackle-nfl-draft-offensive-line-new-starters-analysis/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2019/1/11/18177359/buffalo-bills-not-ruling-out-a-position-switch-for-left-tackle-dion-dawkins-in-2019

Ive said it before and Ill say it again: The Bills did not give Ty Nsekhe $6.5M this year to be a backup.  If he is a backup, then it was a really bad signing, that is not a backup contract.

Whether its LT or RT I fully expect Nsekhe to be a starter come week 1.

4 minutes ago, Estro said:

Ive said it before and Ill say it again: The Bills did not give Ty Nsekhe $6.5M this year to be a backup.  If he is a backup, then it was a really bad signing, that is not a backup contract.

Then you are expecting Cody Ford to start at RG. I think the Ford pick changes their plans. Nsekhe becomes a high-priced swing tackle imo, but we'll see.

20 minutes ago, Estro said:

I have to agree. Cody goes to Guard for a bit. That's a lot of coin to pay a back up.