Per Chris Brown, Dion Dawkins has a “virtual lock on the starting LT position”

Chris Brown is on One Bills Live and doing a dissertation on Dawkins having that role locked down... as a mouthpiece for the team, I’d say unless he screws up off the field or otherwise we can put that discussion to rest of him moving positions.

• Like (+1) 4

Chris Brown's "tidbits" are more valuable that McBean's pressers.  "Gotta watch the tape", etc comes from McDermott while we get actual information from Brown.

Can we put Brown in front of the press at the end of games instead of McDermott?

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I mean, its fun to brainstorm as fans, but did anyone actually think this was a possibility? 

I think many did... otherwise he wouldn’t have come on the radio and waxed poetic about Dawkins for like 5 minutes quoting stats and why he feels it’s his job. Imo, it became a possibility with the signing of Nsecke (sp) and drafting of Cody Ford. That he would need to earn that spot not have it handed to him. Apparently either that wasn’t the case or he did earn it. But I don’t recall anyone else getting reps at LT in OTAs. I personally would not have moved him,  but could see why it came up. 

I’m fine with this unless he shows that he can’t hack it. He’s had his ups and downs, but he’s played at a very high level at times and until he shows otherwise there’s no reason to assume he won’t bounce back. Playing next to actual football players will be a huge difference maker. 

Edit: very high might be generous, but above average for sure.

Edited by whatdrought

So, Dawkins and Morse are written in stone.  I think Spencer Long is close to being a lock at left guard.  That means right guard and tackle are not certain.  I think Bodine is a likely cut.  Feliciano is likely an interior backup, having the ability to play guard and center.  Right guard will be between Spain and Teller to start.  I think Ford might have an advantage at right tackle over Nsekhe, because Nsekhe gives you a two year starter, and then you're having to break in a new starter.  Ford might give you some long term continuity.  At right guard, Spain gives you a mauler.  Teller is potentially a little more athletic.

16 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I mean, its fun to brainstorm as fans, but did anyone actually think this was a possibility? 

Do a little search here and you'll find a few posters who suggested Nsekhe might be better at LT, and then they could move Dawkins to guard.

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think many did... otherwise he wouldn’t have come on the radio and waxed poetic about Dawkins for like 5 minutes quoting stats and why he feels it’s his job. Imo, it became a possibility with the signing of Nsecke (sp) and drafting of Cody Ford. That he would need to earn that spot not have it handed to him. Apparently either that wasn’t the case or he did earn it. But I don’t recall anyone else getting reps at LT in OTAs. I personally would not have moved him,  but could see why it came up. 

I think you are right, there was a fairly persistent "move-to-guard" crowd, but the approach many of us felt McDermott would take is that he would evaluate that he has a LT (and it is not the easiest position to fill) who had a solid rookie year with a veteran guard next to him, then a down year where it looked like he both lost some of his competitive drive and the consistency of working with a veteran guard. What would he do to correct that?

Those of us who are not the biggest fans of forever tinkering with your o-lines felt they should bring in enough o-line competition to light a fire under him and send a message that the LT money might just slip out of his hands come time to renew contracts, and at the same time you address having some veteran players who can fill that guard spot next to him. 

Seems like that is exactly what they did.

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Not suprising.....Ngsecki will either be the RT or the swing OT

Hoping Cody Ford can win the RT job.  If Dawkins is a lock at LT, that means Ngeski may not be quite what they thought.  Still seems very early to make this determination.

19 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Hoping Cody Ford can win the RT job.  If Dawkins is a lock at LT, that means Ngeski may not be quite what they thought.  Still seems very early to make this determination.

Or maybe Dawkins is everything they thought and more!

I'd like to see Daboll experiment with a Dawkins - Long - Morse - Teller - Ford line for a sustained period of time and see what happens. I believe this is the most physically talented OL we can throw out there and also among the youngest with the most long-term potential.

I'd also like to see the Bills try rolling with 10 OL on the roster. An entire backup line of Nsekhe - Spain - Bodine - Feliciano - Waddle would be the envy of the league! The utmost priority should be protecting Allen, even at the expense of a 7th WR or a 7th LB.

35 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

coaches can see things....

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

I think you are right, there was a fairly persistent "move-to-guard" crowd, but the approach many of us felt McDermott would take is that he would evaluate that he has a LT (and it is not the easiest position to fill) who had a solid rookie year with a veteran guard next to him, then a down year where it looked like he both lost some of his competitive drive and the consistency of working with a veteran guard. What would he do to correct that?

Those of us who are not the biggest fans of forever tinkering with your o-lines felt they should bring in enough o-line competition to light a fire under him and send a message that the LT money might just slip out of his hands come time to renew contracts, and at the same time you address having some veteran players who can fill that guard spot next to him. 

Seems like that is exactly what they did.

The idea of moving Dawkins to guard was more focused on (a) getting the best combination of 5 on the field and (b) putting Dawkins in a position to be the greatest asset to the team.

And it wasn't a hard and fast "move him to guard"...it was that the team should be open to trying him at guard as part of their tinkering to see if that combination gave them a better set of 5.

If he stays at LT, then the team better be willing to pay him LT money in another year.  If they're not, then they should at least be willing to try him at LG to see if he's worth a premium contract at that spot.  Because one way or another, Dawkins is going to want to get paid after the 2020 season.

• Like (+1) 2

As expected. No surprise whatsoever, to me at least. I thought the opinions of moving him inside were crazy talk.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

The idea of moving Dawkins to guard was more focused on (a) getting the best combination of 5 on the field and (b) putting Dawkins in a position to be the greatest asset to the team.

And it wasn't a hard and fast "move him to guard"...it was that the team should be open to trying him at guard as part of their tinkering to see if that combination gave them a better set of 5.

If he stays at LT, then the team better be willing to pay him LT money in another year.  If they're not, then they should at least be willing to try him at LG to see if he's worth a premium contract at that spot.  Because one way or another, Dawkins is going to want to get paid after the 2020 season.

And you believe that Dawkins would take LG money if we move him there? He would absolutely want to leave and get paid as a LT by another team. He's shown he can play LT in this league.

17 minutes ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

Or maybe Dawkins is everything they thought and more!

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

coaches can see things....

I suppose it is possible that Dawkins improved during the off season...I hope so.  He was the bright spot in a terrible line last year, though seems like the type of guy who needs a strong LG and C, such as when Richie and Eric were here.  Dawkins seemed about average last year, but could be an unfair conclusion.