Sign in to follow this  
Binghamton Beast

RIP Bart Starr

...sorry to be repetitious, but I'm going to do it anyway in deference to Starr....he ventured into the unknown world of stem cell research after his stroke for treatments....in his passing, I truly hope something was learned medically to help similar others going forward so his legacy can be a blend of "football's finest and a medical pioneer for others"...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

I recall Starr scored the winning TD on a QB sneak after someone (Jerry Kramer?) blocked "massive Jethro Pugh", allowing Starr to score.

That block may have put Jerry Kramer in the Hall of Fame, although he generally deserved it -- I think he just went in last summer.  That was the famous Ice Bowl NFL Championship game before Super Bowl II (pre-merger when the AFL was still operating) and I feel ancient because I remember it.

RIP Bart Starr.  All you ever heard was how much class he had.

• Like (+1) 2

I'd say Bart Starr was my first NFL Films memory.......if you are of a certain age and watched the great Sabol-hosted episodes from the 80's, those Packer films were simply untouchable.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

That block may have put Jerry Kramer in the Hall of Fame, although he generally deserved it -- I think he just went in last summer.  That was the famous Ice Bowl NFL Championship game before Super Bowl II (pre-merger when the AFL was still operating) and I feel ancient because I remember it.

RIP Bart Starr.  All you ever heard was how much class he had.

One of the Packers linemen moved early. Not sure if it was Kramer or not.

• Like (+1) 1

Hard to believe they kept him as HC for 9 seasons from 1975 to 1983 though... part of the dark age of Packers football.

Still, one of the greatest champion QBs ever.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I “met” Bart Starr as a boy reading “Instant Replay” by Jerry Kramer.  Imagine those and other titans to a nine year old.  Starr was a Brooks Brothers navy blue blazer on that checkered plaid team of all stars and hall of famers.  Flustered, one day, in the huddle and with all eyes on him, he told a teammate what he thought of him.  He finished with “... and stick THAT in your diddy bag!”.   Starr couldn’t curse, yet he never lost the room with the biggest and baddest.  It was a different time, and I’m grateful it formed me.  Rest In Peace, Mr. Starr.

I loved that book and I loved the Packers in those days.  One of the best football books ever written.  Very sad about Starr but very happy Kramer made it into the HOF.  He was long overdue.  

• Like (+1) 2

RIP

He was the greatness at the beginning of my football awareness. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Neo said:

I “met” Bart Starr as a boy reading “Instant Replay” by Jerry Kramer.  Imagine those and other titans to a nine year old.  Starr was a Brooks Brothers navy blue blazer on that checkered plaid team of all stars and hall of famers.  Flustered, one day, in the huddle and with all eyes on him, he told a teammate what he thought of him.  He finished with “... and stick THAT in your diddy bag!”.   Starr couldn’t curse, yet he never lost the room with the biggest and baddest.  It was a different time, and I’m grateful it formed me.  Rest In Peace, Mr. Starr.

Are you the Neo that posts over on the Sabres' forum? I just lurk there, but if you're that fella, I like reading your posts.

Starr was a gentleman and a star qb. Think our guy can be that kind of qb.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Are you the Neo that posts over on the Sabres' forum? I just lurk there, but if you're that fella, I like reading your posts.

Starr was a gentleman and a star qb. Think our guy can be that kind of qb.

I am!  Don’t just lurk ...

Edited by Neo
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'd say Bart Starr was my first NFL Films memory.......if you are of a certain age and watched the great Sabol-hosted episodes from the 80's, those Packer films were simply untouchable.

He certainly was one of my first NFL Films memories. Particularly "The Ice Bowl".

RIP

• Like (+1) 1

He was a star without all the hype and glory.  A respected man on and off the field.  It was another age of football and he was part of the greatness of it all.  RIP Bart.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

someone (Jerry Kramer?) blocked "massive Jethro Pugh", allowing Starr to score.

Kramer left early.

Parties from both sides agree that Kramer's biggest contribution to history was that he jumped offside on the play, but it was never called.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1996-01-09-sp-22526-story.html

9 hours ago, Rico said:

Hard to believe they kept him as HC for 9 seasons from 1975 to 1983 though... part of the dark age of Packers football.

Still, one of the greatest champion QBs ever.

They had Lynn Dickey who wasn't too shabby (journeyman, ints a prob) @ QB.  BUT, this was the 'roid era in NFL.  Pack was probably clean.

Whoa. This hurts. RIP Bart. 

Old School Football...RIP #15.  That era was before my time but as a kid who fell in love with football and the NFL in the 90's I enjoyed learning about the history of the sport and I was very familiar with Bart Starr and Lombardi's Packers. 

They had a really nice special yesterday on NFLR with some excellent interviews including James Lofton as Starr was his first Head Coach in GB.  Such nice stories about him on and off the field.  I learned yesterday, he was one of the first QB’s to call audibles at the line of scrimmage and amazing a controlling and legendary coach in Lombardi allowing to do it.  Says a lot about his confidence in Starr’s judgement.

Now two of the great legends are gone in Unitas and now Starr.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

They had a really nice special yesterday on NFLR with some excellent interviews including James Lofton as Starr was his first Head Coach in GB.  Such nice stories about him on and off the field.  I learned yesterday, he was one of the first QB’s to call audibles at the line of scrimmage and amazing a controlling and legendary coach in Lombardi allowing to do it.  Says a lot about his confidence in Starr’s judgement.

Now two of the great legends are gone in Unitas and now Starr.

...GREAT find and accolade my friend.....two truly ambassadors of the game.....being a stubborn old school crustacean, it STILL bugs me when some of the recent QB draftees have zero respect for the game or legends like these two who paved the way for them...they played for a pittance (Note: Bflo's own Billy Shaw took time off from mixing cement to play "G" for a whopping 18 grand a year in the 60's) paving the way for mega million dollar deals....an aside is our very own Josh Allen.....humility, respect and leadership rolled into one.....

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

now I miss John Facenda as well.....

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1