Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CaptnCoke11

DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  I understand what you want at DE, I would say Murphy and Shaq are Good DEs though.  With that being said I would like another great DE with stronger pass rushing ability.  Maybe Shaq will prove he can do it.

I feel like if Shaq was going to show more pass rush ability he would have already done it.....

 

but I dont hate Shaq...he is a high effort player....good against the run....and can play inside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

 

 

 

Appreciate the thoughts.  Jerry is clearly respected by his teammates.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  I understand what you want at DE, I would say Murphy and Shaq are Good DEs though.  With that being said I would like another great DE with stronger pass rushing ability.  Maybe Shaq will prove he can do it.

My point wasn’t that I wanted any of those guys. It was just, signing Hughes makes you less “needy” next year. You have 1 spot locked up instead of none. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

D7GSTKvVsAAYQ1U.jpg:large

 

 

Mrs. Hughes is happy and rightfully so.

 

 

Is that supposed to be her drooling over the $$$ or something... less safe for work?

Edited by elroy16
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are we at as far as cap left now with this signing and our draft picks?

 

I like the signing....but this should be about it right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess it’s only 2 years but seems like a lot of money for a guy who has had 21 sacks in his last 4 years.  Hughes is a number 2 DE who is getting paid almost like a 1.  But you have to spend your money somewhere but it seems like they are starting to overpay like the last regime that got killed for it.

 

 

Not sure I agree - currently he is the 20th paid DE in the NFL. We have this year and 2 additional years at about the same money.  By next year and the year after he will be closer to 25 - 40 th in the market and the DE market has gone nuts with guys like Trey Flowers hitting 16 million next year and going to 23 million - he will look like a bargain.  

 

Heck DeMarcus Lawrence is already slated to make over 26 million when he is the same age as Hughes.

 

I do not view this as overpaying at all - you signed a known entity at a premium position for significantly less than others have been signed recently and less than others of the same age.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

 

This is a really good example of revising the history to fit your argument.  

 

1. Yes, 2017 was not as good as previous years, but it was miles better than last year. 

 

2. Glenn was already a non-factor by 2017 (this is a really telling example of the revisionism).  The only real loss, aside from Wood, was Incognito. But even he was obviously on the verge of a mental breakdown and really getting up there in age.  The much bigger loss was clearly Wood. Not to mention the fact that aside from LT, Center is the most important position on the line. 

 

3. I'm not sure what the Wawrow comment has to do with anything. 

 

4. PFF has no idea how to judge the offensive line.  I thought that was pretty well established after E. Wood and @AngryNFLScout vet called them out this year. 

 

 

1.  This is where you show some data to illustrate that.    You can't so you don't.

 

2.  Glenn was a factor when in the lineup in 2017.   The opener versus the Jets stood out because Glenn had a strong game and the running game was efficient.   They were otherwise inconsistent early in the season with Glenn in and out of the lineup but appeared to be rounding into form offensively with Glenn back versus TB and Oakland but after he was injured in the Jets game the offense REALLY struggled to move the ball the rest of the season.    His absence mattered.    

 

As for Incognito he was every bit as good as Wood or better and they wanted him for less than half of Wood's contract.   Messing with his money made no sense then or in retrospect.   When the OG market blew up Incognito lost his sh*t.   If paying players was actually about "frame of mind" like it's sold with the Wood extension then messing with RI was bad biz.   Personally I felt the LG position was worse than C and it took it's toll on Dawkins who is now a reclamation project after they thought he was a sure-fire franchise LT.

 

3. What Wawrow has to do with it is that he says Beane wouldn't spend to replace Wood.    The Wood contract is why we had to wait a year for a more concerted effort to improve the position.   Beane was operating under a cash-to-cap methodology and with $11M+ tied up in the center position he wasn't willing to spend to protect Josh Allen in 2018.  That's what it came down to.    So it's not a matter of being a hard position to fill.....it's not....that's why very good ones like Morse often make it to UFA.   

 

4. Clearly there were more issues than Bodine filling in for Wood.  The guard positions struggled and Dawkins gave up a lot of pass pressure and sacks.    

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

With no disrespect to Kyle (an all-time favorite!), I’m sure Hughes is going to love lining up next to lightning quick Oliver next season.  Together they can cause some havoc out there!  Find some pressure from the other side and we could be seriously dangerous. They sent Edmunds up the middle quite a bit, too. I’m sure they all love the options available to get pressure. 

 

.

Edited by Augie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Where are we at as far as cap left now with this signing and our draft picks?

 

I like the signing....but this should be about it right?

 

afaik there is no new money hitting the 2019 cap - but sportrac hasn't been updated yet.  Would be adds for 2020 and 2021

 

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

 

 

Not sure I agree - currently he is the 20th paid DE in the NFL. We have this year and 2 additional years at about the same money.  By next year and the year after he will be closer to 25 - 40 th in the market and the DE market has gone nuts with guys like Trey Flowers hitting 16 million next year and going to 23 million - he will look like a bargain.  

 

Heck DeMarcus Lawrence is already slated to make over 26 million when he is the same age as Hughes.

 

I do not view this as overpaying at all - you signed a known entity at a premium position for significantly less than others have been signed recently and less than others of the same age.

 

 

 

He's also like - a big buffalo guy.  This isn't a street free agent overpay.  Its a guy 2 years in with McD who wants to be here.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dneveu said:

 

afaik there is no new money hitting the 2019 cap - but sportrac hasn't been updated yet.  Would be adds for 2020 and 2021

 

 

He's also like - a big buffalo guy.  This isn't a street free agent overpay.  Its a guy 2 years in with McD who wants to be here.

Thanks for the info!

 

If this is the case lets bring in another TE or that DL that just got released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My point wasn’t that I wanted any of those guys. It was just, signing Hughes makes you less “needy” next year. You have 1 spot locked up instead of none. 

 

There seems to be a pattern there! The FA signings at OL and WR let us draft a lot more freely without being so “needy”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Interesting it’s basically a full guaranteed deal. 

That is how most of football has been trending to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Thanks for the info!

 

If this is the case lets bring in another TE or that DL that just got released.

 

The best 2 players available are Suh and McCoy - neither hit comp pick formulas - and neither has a ring.  Seems like they'll either go where they can get overpaid on a 1yr deal, or go to a contender with space.


Cleveland, Indy, Seattle look like good destinations.  More cap than buffalo in 2019 - anticipated playoff teams - spot to start without a competition.  

 

I expect both to wait a bit to sign though - why go to OTAs and camp if you dont have to?

 

As i wrote this it said the bucs are trying to sign Suh.  Must be cheaper than McCoy?

Edited by dneveu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My point wasn’t that I wanted any of those guys. It was just, signing Hughes makes you less “needy” next year. You have 1 spot locked up instead of none. 

Absolutely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

 

Sal is trying to say Hughes has poor hands since no interceptions, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

 

1.  This is where you show some data to illustrate that.    You can't so you don't.

 

2.  Glenn was a factor when in the lineup in 2017.   The opener versus the Jets stood out because Glenn had a strong game and the running game was efficient.   They were otherwise inconsistent early in the season with Glenn in and out of the lineup but appeared to be rounding into form offensively with Glenn back versus TB and Oakland but after he was injured in the Jets game the offense REALLY struggled to move the ball the rest of the season.    His absence mattered.    

 

As for Incognito he was every bit as good as Wood or better and they wanted him for less than half of Wood's contract.   Messing with his money made no sense then or in retrospect.   When the OG market blew up Incognito lost his sh*t.   If paying players was actually about "frame of mind" like it's sold with the Wood extension then messing with RI was bad biz.   Personally I felt the LG position was worse than C and it took it's toll on Dawkins who is now a reclamation project after they thought he was a sure-fire franchise LT.

 

3. What Wawrow has to do with it is that he says Beane wouldn't spend to replace Wood.    The Wood contract is why we had to wait a year for a more concerted effort to improve the position.   Beane was operating under a cash-to-cap methodology and with $11M+ tied up in the center position he wasn't willing to spend to protect Josh Allen in 2018.  That's what it came down to.    So it's not a matter of being a hard position to fill.....it's not....that's why very good ones like Morse often make it to UFA.   

 

4. Clearly there were more issues than Bodine filling in for Wood.  The guard positions struggled and Dawkins gave up a lot of pass pressure and sacks.    

 

1. It is the offensive line, a group not as amenable to statistical analysis as others.  But this seems like a non-issue.  Are you actually contending that the offensive line last year was even close to 2017?  I didn't think anyone actually thought this...

 

2. Cordy Glenn was out after the fifth game.  With Cordy Glenn in the offense averaged 271 yards/game.  With Cordy Glenn out, the offense averaged 316 yards/game.  So no, the offense moved the ball better without Glenn.  

 

Your Incognito point is absolutely non-sensical.  I don't know how anyone argues he wasn't on the way to being a basket case.  I honestly had assumed everyone understood it was a large part of why they asked for his contract to be cut. 

 

3.  You act like the team was expecting Wood to retire.  Had he not retired, we would have been all set.  No one saw it coming.  The fact that you glaze over this piece is every reason your history is so revisionist.  

 

4.  There were problems with other parts of the line, but its the Center that leads the group and calls protections.  It starts with him.  The fact that the line not only played poorly, but suffered from constant miscommunications is an illustration that the problem started a the Center position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beane probably foresees some big stats for Hughes this year with Oliver in the middle (hopefully) wreaking havoc. Not to mention if we're playing with the lead more he'll get to tee off on opposing QBs. Better to extend him now before his stats potentially go through the roof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

 

 

Not sure I agree - currently he is the 20th paid DE in the NFL. We have this year and 2 additional years at about the same money.  By next year and the year after he will be closer to 25 - 40 th in the market and the DE market has gone nuts with guys like Trey Flowers hitting 16 million next year and going to 23 million - he will look like a bargain.  

 

Heck DeMarcus Lawrence is already slated to make over 26 million when he is the same age as Hughes.

 

I do not view this as overpaying at all - you signed a known entity at a premium position for significantly less than others have been signed recently and less than others of the same age.

 

 

 

....certainly agree....above market performing player at a below market price......sure IS a "hometown discount"......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

 

 

Not sure I agree - currently he is the 20th paid DE in the NFL. We have this year and 2 additional years at about the same money.  By next year and the year after he will be closer to 25 - 40 th in the market and the DE market has gone nuts with guys like Trey Flowers hitting 16 million next year and going to 23 million - he will look like a bargain.  

 

Heck DeMarcus Lawrence is already slated to make over 26 million when he is the same age as Hughes.

 

I do not view this as overpaying at all - you signed a known entity at a premium position for significantly less than others have been signed recently and less than others of the same age.

 

 

Fair points.  Let me be clear, I think the Hughes trade was one of the best trades in Bills’ history.  He has great energy and seems to have eliminated the brain dead penalties that were his specialty.  

 

That said, is there a DE on that list with less sacks than his 21 in 4 years?  Is there another one who is going to be 31?

 

the Bills are better with Hughes.  But I do I think 32 year old Hughes will be worth $11.5?  Nope.  He is a number 2 DE.  But since it’s a short deal, it’s fairly fine.  But I can easily see us being disappointed in the deal at this time next year.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess it’s only 2 years but seems like a lot of money for a guy who has had 21 sacks in his last 4 years.  Hughes is a number 2 DE who is getting paid almost like a 1.  But you have to spend your money somewhere but it seems like they are starting to overpay like the last regime that got killed for it.

 

You do understand that pressure results in errant passes and interceptions, right?

 

Of course you do. You’re just hell bent on convincing yourself Beane and McD are no good so you won’t be disappointed. 

 

Live a little, man! This is a very solid, proactive move by the Bills for a key player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Interesting it’s basically a full guaranteed deal. 

It makes sense considering the dollar figure. Excellent value for the Bills. Great news. I STILL want another pass rusher, but this settles the Hughes issue and he clearly wants to be in Buffalo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, didn't expect that.  Doesn't seem like the type to mail it in until retirement either, so good job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Important re-up from a numbers perspective.

 

The team really needs to overhaul the EDGE rushing group next offseason, but with only Murphy under contract, that will prove difficult.

 

Hughes is, in the very least, a serviceable pass rusher that can force the issue, even if he does struggle to finish plays at this point in his career.

 

The money on this isn't bad at all.  It sets the team up to be able to go after a complementary rusher, and the 2020 FA class is flooded with them.

This. I love the signing, but it does not quash the need for pass rushers going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...