DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension

Congrats 55!! McD likes to have a vet leader in each group and I think Hughes has curbed the penalties, performed well, and been a great teammate. I think McD actually liked that he challenged that ref last year too. He has a lot of “give a damn” in him. 

• Like (+1) 25
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That moolah is deserved. We are set on one side.  Price is reasonable and we will have continuity. Health permitting Hughes will deliver.

A little walk down memory lane:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/jerry-hughes-trade-among-best-in-nfl-in-2013-12438098

Edit: OMG - There goes our 2020 comp pick!

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Cue the “Hughes is done because he didn’t have a lot of sacks in 2018” crowd. 

An insightful, proactive move by Beane to take one worry off the table next offseason. 

• Like (+1) 7

8 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Per Schefter

Bills’ DE Jerry Hughes is signing a two-year extension worth up to $23 million that includes $19.5 million guaranteed, per source.

Think I said 2 months ago that there was no way Hughes signed for less guaranteed than what the franchise tag would pay him next year (defensive end tag number this year was $17.1m)

EDIT: is it actually a 2 year extension? thereby tying him down through 2021? Or is it a 2 year deal for this year and next? If the former I don't love it, if it is the latter I do.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Think I said 2 months ago that there was no way Hughes signed for less guaranteed than what the franchise tag would pay him next year (defensive end tag number this year was $17.1m)

Nice going.

This is a great contract IMO. Lock him up for the rest of his prime, and the high GTD builds goodwill so we can probably re-sign him again at the tail end of his career if we want at a little bit of an old age discount.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

EDIT: is it actually a 2 year extension? thereby tying him down through 2021? Or is it a 2 year deal for this year and next? If the former I don't love it, if it is the latter I do.

Doesn’t the word “extension” imply added years? Typically they use “restructure” if modifying an existing contract (even if adding additional years).

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, eball said:

Doesn’t the word “extension” imply added years? Typically they use “restructure” if modifying an existing contract (even if adding additional years).

They can be a little loose with the wording though. I'll wait to see. If they are guaranteeing him $19m over the years when he will be 32 and 33 I think that is a really risky contract. When the cliff comes for pass rushers it tends to come quickly.

• Like (+1) 1