Sign in to follow this  
syhuang

Flacco is not interested in mentoring Drew Lock

Didn't Flacco unfollow the Broncos on Twitter after they drafted Lock?

• Haha (+1) 1

I would do it but I'm smart phone challenged....someone post the Joe Flacco - Muppets doppelganger. That was the best!

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Haha.  In his bio of Favre, "Gunslinger" Jeff Pearlman tells the story, which he claims was corroborated by a teammate:

Favre was alone, sitting in the team cafeteria and reading a newspaper, when Rodgers saw him in person for the first time. The new quarterback approached the old quarterback and uttered what will forever go down as the worst introductory line in the history of professional sports. "Good morning, grandpa!"  Silence.

However, Rodgers denies this.  He says he probably called Favre "Grandpa" at some point, but it wasn't when they first met.

So....did he really?  Who knows?

He was reading a newspaper? He’s not a grandpa, he was a dinosaur! I’m old, but a newspaper? Lol

• Haha (+1) 1

I thought all vets mentor rookies and become coaches when they retire

This whole "QB mentoring" stuff is a joke.  That's not Flacco's job, nor should it be.  

It's doesn't work that way.  It's a lazy cliche.

• Thanks! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

He was reading a newspaper? He’s not a grandpa, he was a dinosaur! I’m old, but a newspaper? Lol

They still had newspapers back in 2005.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, syhuang said:

Joe Flacco: I’m here to win games, not be a mentor

I remember quite a few wanted Flacco especially two years ago to replace Tyron, I guess Flacco is not a process guy? 🙂

Ummmm...if I am a Head Coach, I don't want my starting QB to want to be a mentor either.  This is EXACTLY what I want in my starting QB.  Screw the young guy, go win games.  Its the coaches job to develop the young guy, not your veteran leader you are counting on to take you back to the playoffs.  Young guy learns by OBSERVING the veteran, not by the veteran teaching them hands on.    

Thats like asking a sick guy to plan his own funeral.  Screw that, go have fun and enjoy the twilight of your life and let everyone deal with the funeral.  

No veteran QB should ever be ready to roll over and play dead and coach someone up so they can take his job.  Has nothing to do with being a "process" guy, it has everything to do with Flacco being an NFL viable starting QB still, and in his case a Super Bowl winning QB to boot with some tread still on his tires.  This isnt like he was a career backup or incapable of being a starter anymore.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nester said:

They still had newspapers back in 2005.

And they do today. I’m kidding because the ONLY way you got news back in the day was the newspaper. They are going the way of the slide rule and Kodak film for your camera. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ummmm...if I am a Head Coach, I don't want my starting QB to want to be a mentor either.  This is EXACTLY what I want in my starting QB.  Screw the young guy, go win games.  Its the coaches job to develop the young guy, not your veteran leader you are counting on to take you back to the playoffs.  Young guy learns by OBSERVING the veteran, not by the veteran teaching them hands on.    

Thats like asking a sick guy to plan his own funeral.  Screw that, go have fun and enjoy the twilight of your life and let everyone deal with the funeral.  

No veteran QB should ever be ready to roll over and play dead and coach someone up so they can take his job.  Has nothing to do with being a "process" guy, it has everything to do with Flacco being an NFL viable starting QB still, and in his case a Super Bowl winning QB to boot with some tread still on his tires.  This isnt like he was a career backup or incapable of being a starter anymore.  

Unless you are a terminal short timer and some team inexplicably tosses you a bone (that's you Derek Anderson), you're absolutely right.

This was illustrated best by Favre when they drafted Rodgers.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Unless you are a terminal short timer and some team inexplicably tosses you a bone (that's you Derek Anderson), you're absolutely right.

This was illustrated best by Favre when they drafted Rodgers.  

EXACTLY.  Derek Anderson is the perfect example.  Had his shot at starting, couldn't hold it down, became a solid career backup and a quality veteran mentor on how to prepare as a young QB.  His literal value at the stage of his career is as a mentor, not a guy who is still a full time starter in this league trying to keep said rookie from taking his job.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

EXACTLY.  Derek Anderson is the perfect example.  Had his shot at starting, couldn't hold it down, became a solid career backup and a quality veteran mentor on how to prepare as a young QB.  His literal value at the stage of his career is as a mentor, not a guy who is still a full time starter in this league trying to keep said rookie from taking his job.  

Yup.  He helped Josh with the nuts and bolts:  how to watch pro film, how to run the huddle, the logistics of travel, managing his time, etc.

He doesn't need the now, so they can do away with "mentors" and let his coaches do their jobs.

• Like (+1) 1

He isn’t wrong 

no starter worth his salt would mentor a rook so he could take his job... that’s a coaches job

or a career backup like Anderson 

Player gives honest answer to a question.  Good for him.  Don't rip a guy for giving an honest answer. 

It's not his job to be a mentor.  He was signed to be the starter.  If he was a third string bum like Anderson then maybe part of his job is to be a mentor.  But that is not the case in Denver.  They have a great defense and added weapons on offense.  He wants to win.  Good for him. 

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is taken WAY out of context.  Brutal misrepresentation of what Flacco said/meant.

Man I hate politics 

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Player gives honest answer to a question.  Good for him.  Don't rip a guy for giving an honest answer. 

It's not his job to be a mentor.  He was signed to be the starter.  If he was a third string bum like Anderson then maybe part of his job is to be a mentor.  But that is not the case in Denver.  They have a great defense and added weapons on offense.  He wants to win.  Good for him. 

Don’t know if you heard it yet but Anderson retired,  and why BUM ? There’s nothing wrong with being a mentor  Apparently he helped Allen  a lot to improve his game , 

Now I hate Portland 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Gugny said:

The writer of the article is most at fault.  He made it look like a quote and it was not.  And in the process, made Flacco look like a total a-hole.  Even if the link was copied, the quote shows up. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/13/joe-flacco-im-here-to-win-games-not-be-a-mentor/

That's dirty, Bush League, crap.  And who the hell is Josh Alper??

No, he's not.

Writers don't write headlines. That's the copy editor's job. It's the headline, not the article, that tries to hook readers and write an unbelievably quick summary and in taking out the perspective makes a slightly inflammatory headline. In the article that quote is put in perspective. It's the copy editor and the OP who used the headline rather than the article's point.

And as for the "no QB should mentor" stuff, that's just as wrong. Pretty much every QBs should mentor. Not as priority one, of course, but the QB room, like every room, should work together for the benefit of the team. QBs get injured and if that happens, the new guy should hopefully be as ready as possible to step in and take over. That happens best when everyone is helping everyone else.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

You mean media tries to deceive readers ? I haven't read about that.

Where did you read about this? The media?

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, he's not.

Writers don't write headlines. That's the copy editor's job. It's the headline, not the article, that tries to hook readers and write an unbelievably quick summary and in taking out the perspective makes a slightly inflammatory headline. In the article that quote is put in perspective. It's the copy editor and the OP who used the headline rather than the article's point.

And as for the "no QB should mentor" stuff, that's just as wrong. Pretty much every QBs should mentor. Not as priority one, of course, but the QB room, like every room, should work together for the benefit of the team. QBs get injured and if that happens, the new guy should hopefully be as ready as possible to step in and take over. That happens best when everyone is helping everyone else.

I know that, traditionally/historically, it would definitely be he copy editor and not the writer.  However, many publications have lessened the role of copy editors, or nixxed them, altogether.  Not sure if pft is one of them.  But I'm inclined to think it was a copy editor.

I think mentoring likely happens naturally, especially in the QB room.  I"m sure all starters and backups work together as a normal course of business.  I think the point Flacco is making is that a starting QB has a ton of work/preparation to do in order to just get HIMSELF prepared, let alone taking the time to teach a young guy.  Having the backup prepared should be the backup's responsibility; making sure a young guy is learning/grasping material is the coaching staff's responsibility.  JMO.

I don't blame him at all the guy is basically saying I am not ready to pack it in and ride off into the sunset. I think the Ravens were extremely stupid to get rid of him and go with Jackson I hope Flacco has an awesome year

• Haha (+1) 1

Who's the winner here?  

Flacco, Lock or the author getting clicks for a strategically titled thread. 

8 hours ago, Putin said:

Don’t know if you heard it yet but Anderson retired,  and why BUM ? There’s nothing wrong with being a mentor  Apparently he helped Allen  a lot to improve his game , 

Now I hate Portland 

I hate Portland too....

By being able to win a Super Bowl & lead a team to the play offs more than a couple of times it shows that the guy is a competitor & wants to be "The Guy" but as he rounds 3rd to head for home in his career he needs to be more of a team guy which could be part of the reason why he is no longer with the Ravens !

But i believe that Elway & company will give him every chance to once more be "The Guy" & if they think he wins that competition then he will have a legit chance to prove he can still do it but if not then he needs to help any way he can to get the rookie up to speed if he wants any chance at winning another ring before his curtain call comes around !!