Star Wars - The Rise Of Skywalker

Just Jack

Still trying to figure out why Disney didn’t build Hoth or tatooine instead of galaxy’s edge? That would be like warner brothers making fantastic beasts zoo instead of hogwarts. Disney has really screwed up the Star Wars universe and fan base 

7 hours ago, major said:

Still trying to figure out why Disney didn’t build Hoth or tatooine instead of galaxy’s edge? That would be like warner brothers making fantastic beasts zoo instead of hogwarts. Disney has really screwed up the Star Wars universe and fan base 

I can see the argument but I was just there last week and thought it was pretty damn cool. 

32 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I have a hard time believing that one.  I can't picture them trying to draw a fight scene from 63 year old Carrie Fisher.  Yeah, I know, CGI, but still, it was never going to work.

10 hours ago, shrader said:

I have a hard time believing that one.  I can't picture them trying to draw a fight scene from 63 year old Carrie Fisher.  Yeah, I know, CGI, but still, it was never going to work.

They did it with Alec Guinness in the original. Go watch his fight with Vader and see how plain it looks compared to some of the later films. 

11 hours ago, Just Jack said:

They did it with Alec Guinness in the original. Go watch his fight with Vader and see how plain it looks compared to some of the later films. 

Yeah, I figured he would be mentioned.  But you're right, those initial fights are just him and Vader standing still.  That's not going to mesh with the style they've been going with for a while now.  Anything they would have done with Carrie probably would have been completely stunt double/CGI and I can't picture it looking any good.

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

Yeah, I figured he would be mentioned.  But you're right, those initial fights are just him and Vader standing still.  That's not going to mesh with the style they've been going with for a while now.  Anything they would have done with Carrie probably would have been completely stunt double/CGI and I can't picture it looking any good.

But would it look good if she was wearing her Jabba's Lair Return of the Jedi outfit?

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

But would it look good if she was wearing her Jabba's Lair Return of the Jedi outfit?

There are so many disturbing comments I can make right now, but I won't do it.

• 3 weeks later...

https://babylonbee.com/news/rise-of-skywalker-to-introduce-first-lesbian-at-at

HOLLYWOOD, CA—During a recent interview with Out And Proud Magazine, Rise of Skywalker director J.J. Abrams hinted that the hotly-anticipated 9th installment of the Star Wars saga would include more clear LGBTQ representation, in the form of a lesbian AT-AT.

—yes it’s a joke article—

Edited by Just Jack
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Just Jack said:

https://babylonbee.com/news/rise-of-skywalker-to-introduce-first-lesbian-at-at

HOLLYWOOD, CA—During a recent interview with Out And Proud Magazine, Rise of Skywalker director J.J. Abrams hinted that the hotly-anticipated 9th installment of the Star Wars saga would include more clear LGBTQ representation, in the form of a lesbian AT-AT.

—yes it’s a joke article—

There was a recent article talking about the relationship between Finn and Poe and how they should have made them a couple. It does mention that there are 'non-hetero' characters that were added. I just assumed they were gonna finally announce what we have all known for years about C3PO......

11 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

There was a recent article talking about the relationship between Finn and Poe and how they should have made them a couple. It does mention that there are 'non-hetero' characters that were added. I just assumed they were gonna finally announce what we have all known for years about C3PO......

And the Han Solo movie opened the door for human-droid sexual relations, so...

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back

I can't believe Chewie is really Reys Dad

And then there was that weird part near the middle where they just played the star wars christmas movie

But what was really shocking is how Ironman is revived and comes back to save the Rebellion from Thanos!

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Please refrain from posting spoilers for about a week, or use the SPOILER option when posting. 

Would adding (No Spoilers, Please) to the end of the thread title help?  Or would it just be troll bait?  I'm probably not going to see this until 12/26 or 12/27.

9 hours ago, Rico said:

I saw the first showing in Dolby tonight, not a fan of this one at all, and I was one (of the few?) who enjoyed Last Jedi. I'll give it another shot though over the holidays, but right now, worst of the final 3 for me.

EMKEwTLWsAATHY6.jpeg

16 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm seeing this ***** tomorrow morning, and you people are bumming me out.

Well, as always with Star Wars, YMMV. Without spoiling anything, I've been reading on-line reaction this AM, and it seems a lot of people who hated Last Jedi liked this one a lot.... so it could just be me.

Edited by Rico

Just now, Rico said:

Well, as always with Star Wars, YMMV. Without spoiling anything, I've been reading on-line reaction this AM, and it seems a lot of people who hated Last Jedi liked this one a lot.... so it could just be me.

agreed.  i generically enjoy anything star wars, so i can't imagine i'll be too disappointed.  

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

6 minutes ago, teef said:

agreed.  i generically enjoy anything star wars, so i can't imagine i'll be too disappointed.  

I thoroughly enjoyed the Last Jedi, so I have high hopes (not unreasonably high) for this one.  I cannot wait.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the Last Jedi, so I have high hopes (not unreasonably high) for this one.  I cannot wait.

i liked it, but it isn't the top on my list.  i loved rogue one, and i'm loving the mandalorian.  i'm pumped too though.  our financial planner rents out an entire movie theater and give away tickets ever so often, and this is it!  free tickets, free breakfast, everything.  perfect way to kick off the christmas week...star wars in the morning, bills in the afternoon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Even having had some core spoilers for TROS, and disappointed in Luke’s plotline in these sequels, I really liked it. Satisfying wrap to this 3-film arc and to the overall.

When I rewatched TLJ prior, I skipped the Finn/Rose/Canto Bight(?) parts — which had zero importance to the story anyway — and doing this made that much more watchable.

I will say that this seems a natural stepping-off point for both JJ and Kathleen Kennedy.

Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau have proved in the Clone Wars series and with The Mandalorian that they have a far better grasp on the storytelling for the franchise, and ought to be given the keys to Lucasfilm.

This movie connects much more directly to Force Awakens than Last Jedi which makes sense seeing JJ is back at the helm. I enjoyed the new movie but I can see why it will be divisive. JJ spends a lot of time trying to steer the ship back into his direction and I thought the narrative suffers a bit. 

It is almost like he had to squeeze two movies into this one and as a result the first 45 minutes are like watching something on fast forward.

All that being said it was a fun movie and I'd think most old school Star Wars fans will at least be satisfied with it if not over the top in love with it.

I am interested to start seeing more of the fan takes. The critics are pretty useless these days as a gauge as they all seem to have some kind of an agenda.

Edited by Metal Man
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Metal Man said:

This movie connects much more directly to Force Awakens than Last Jedi which makes sense seeing JJ is back at the helm. I enjoyed the new movie but I can see why it will be divisive. JJ spends a lot of time trying to steer the ship back into his direction and I thought the narrative suffers a bit. 

It is almost like he had to squeeze two movies into this one and as a result the first 45 minutes are like watching something on fast forward.

All that being said it was a fun movie and I'd think most old school Star Wars fans will at least be satisfied with it if not over the top in love with it.

I am interested to start seeing more of the fan takes. The critics are pretty useless these days as a gauge as they all seem to have some kind of an agenda.

True. Very true. No establishing intro narrative, just jumped right in. JJ having to clean up and having to retcon Rian Johnson to a degree left no option unless it would be 3 hours.

I had read some of the fanboy criticism in the lead-up and imo it was very unwarranted.

Edited by UConn James

13 hours ago, Rico said:

I saw the first showing in Dolby tonight, not a fan of this one at all, and I was one (of the few?) who enjoyed Last Jedi. I'll give it another shot though over the holidays, but right now, worst of the final 3 for me.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

I saw it last night and I enjoyed it very much.

Only complaint I have is that the movie could have been a tad shorter.

I too enjoyed Last Jedi as well. I don't know why people were losing their minds over that movie.

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Even having had some core spoilers for TROS, and disappointed in Luke’s plotline in these sequels, I really liked it. Satisfying wrap to this 3-film arc and to the overall.

When I rewatched TLJ prior, I skipped the Finn/Rose/Canto Bight(?) parts — which had zero importance to the story anyway — and doing this made that much more watchable.

I will say that this seems a natural stepping-off point for both JJ and Kathleen Kennedy.

Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau have proved in the Clone Wars series and with The Mandalorian that they have a far better grasp on the storytelling for the franchise, and ought to be given the keys to Lucasfilm.

Yes, that whole moment is pointless. Although we do get a great character from Benicio del Toro, which is the only redeemable thing about that part of the plot.

Edited by Mark Vader

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, that whole moment is pointless. Although we do get a great character from Benicio del Toro, which is the only redeemable thing about that part of the plot.

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Agree with these takes 100%. It seems like the only purpose of that entire part of the movie was that Finn needed something to do.

• Like (+1) 2

I enjoyed it, I also didn't have an issue with the Last Jedi. It's seems most that have taken issues and hate any of the films are the hardcore fanboys who are mad that it didn't follow a book or comic or their own fan fiction exactly as it was written.

I did find there were a few things that happened and a few scenes where I thought it was rushed or were confusing, plus a few times where someone or something was introduced and didn't really add much except for giving Disney a potential spinoff or another toy to market.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I enjoyed it, I also didn't have an issue with the Last Jedi. It's seems most that have taken issues and hate any of the films are the hardcore fanboys who are mad that it didn't follow a book or comic or their own fan fiction exactly as it was written.

I did find there were a few things that happened and a few scenes where I thought it was rushed or were confusing, plus a few times where someone or something was introduced and didn't really add much except for giving Disney a potential spinoff or another toy to market.

Yes, the fanboys are impossible. They should just stop watching these movies, because they are always going to hate them.

2 hours ago, UConn James said:

Absolutely!

While we are on this subject, who gets credit for "Rogue One"? Gareth Edwards?

Fanboys ruin everything. Seriously.

The Last Jedi wants to take some narrative risks? The Fanboys ***** all over it.

The Rise of Skywalker decides to play it a bit safe, attempt to appease the fans, and right some of what the fanboys viewed as "wrong" in the Last Jedi? The Fanboys ***** all over it.

You just can't please these people.

Me? I liked it. I also liked the Last Jedi. I find it regrettable that the Fanboys made such a stink about the Last Jedi that Abrams felt the need to undo a lot if it this movie. They have no one but themselves to blame for any perceived shortcomings in this movie.

It's not high art. It's not a Fellini masterpiece. It's a samurai space opera, for *****'s sake.

Considering the tremendous weight on the shoulders of JJ Abrams in making this movie -- in an era where you really, REALLY can't please everyone, no less -- I thought he did a fine job. It's not my favorite or anything, but it did what it was supposed to do. It FELT like a Star Wars movie. I laughed, I cheered, I got choked up in a few spots. There was closure for just about everyone. We got to see all our old friends one last time. Babu Frik was dope. CHEWIE GOT HIS MEDAL!!! Luke finally lifted the X-Wing out of the water, which he said he thought was impossible back in Empire Strikes Back. There was lots to like.

I'm not gonna write a doctoral dissertation on it or anything, but I thought it was a good and satisfying flick and I enjoyed it. People need to take things like Star Wars a bit less seriously. It's not life or death.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In response to above (I won't quote it so it gets reposted though), that's the problem with some of the critics and people today. They get bent out of shape because they wanted it to be something else or follow some other sort of story that may hVe been from a book or comic that when they make My kind of change, they are outraged!

Star Wars is not real, it's make believe, it's a space sci Fi movie. The originals werent cinematic Marvel's of the highest quality acting and storey. They are just fun, entertaining movies. This is why I role my eyes at the recent comments about the Marvel movies and their complaints about them. They are comic book action movies. No one is going to it because they are the Equivelant of a Shakespeare play or expect them to be that way. I don't expect them to be praise by  critics as cinematic masterpieces. They are what they are, action movies with explosions and enjoyable characters. The stuff critics praise and give awards to tend to not be as enjoyable and in most cases are overrated whole trying to be too artistic. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm happy with the series as long as pretend the only movies are:

1. Rouge One (This one blew me away. )
  2. Star Wars (So much fun)
  3. Empire Strikes Back (Best movie)
  4. Return of the Jedi (minus the Ewoks - has flaws but satisfying "conclusion")

Phantom - Just Bad

Attack of the Clones - Unwatchable

Revenge of the Sith - Have never watched it. 

Solo - Dull story. 

Awakes - A near copy of Star Wars (off to a bad start)

Last Jedi - Incomprehensible. 

Skywalker - I think I'll pass. 

On 4/16/2019 at 5:34 AM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

LOL 

Its Science Fiction Fantasy

Let your fantasy free and stop thinking about the theories of relativity and how they do or don't apply with that you just watched.

As a co-worker once said to me - When you go to a movie you put your brain on the seat next to you and just watch the movie. 

Im going to share this with my cynical family members who are always pointing out the faulty logic or problems with any story line they dont agree with ... this premise fits a LOT of modern entertainment we partake in like soap operas,  WWE wrestling .......and US political intrigue for that matter HA grab yer popcorn indeed.

• Like (+1) 2