Star Wars - The Rise Of Skywalker

Just Jack

20 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

It's Anakin.

The whole saga is about him; he must be part of the ending 

Yea I could see that.

In the Star Wars universe, like the Jedi, the Sith had figured out how to “live forever” through the force. So hearing Palpatine laughter isn’t super surprising. Where they differ from the Jedi is that they had figured out how to occupy bodies. So Sith Lords could/would come back. I know some would hate it but it could be a case that both Anakin and Palpatine are back.

22 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

It's Anakin.

The whole saga is about him; he must be part of the ending 

I think Rey is going to take the name "Skywalker" as a way to honor Luke and Leia. 

She will "become" a Skywalker by taking on the honorific title.

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Yea I could see that.

In the Star Wars universe, like the Jedi, the Sith had figured out how to “live forever” through the force. So hearing Palpatine laughter isn’t super surprising. Where they differ from the Jedi is that they had figured out how to occupy bodies. So Sith Lords could/would come back. I know some would hate it but it could be a case that both Anakin and Palpatine are back.

My word, what an utterly brutal twist it would be if Rey IS Anakin in another body!

;)

33 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

My word, what an utterly brutal twist it would be if Rey IS Anakin in another body!

;)

That would be a wicked twist, and honestly I’d like it.  It would connect a lot of dots, with how JJ Abrams was writing it.

- When Rey picks up the Skywalker lightsaber...

Edited by Wayne Cubed

31 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

;)

problem with that theory is that anakin/vader turned from the sith back to the light

Maybe Rey is Palpatine's new vessel

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

problem with that theory is that anakin/vader turned from the sith back to the light

Maybe Rey is Palpatine's new vessel

But he could have learned how to do it, something the Jedi possibly hadn’t learned or wouldn’t do because ya know... Jedi.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Dude, the whole saga started with a woman standing up to the most powerful man in the galaxy.

The same woman killed the most vile gangster in the galaxy and rescued her beloved smuggler from said gangster.

Your racism aside, I'm pretty sure that fans won't mind women being in prominent roles.

And yet theirs tantrums being thrown about the current ones over the female roles....

Seemed to have touched some nerves around here......

6 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

And yet theirs tantrums being thrown about the current ones over the female roles....

There are? By who? 

And you seem to be the only one that's unnerved here.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:43 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

The end of a saga... thank goodness.

I remember sitting in a movie theater in Boston in 1977 watching Star Wars and being delighted with the simple story, the action, and the special effects. It was a good old-fashioned Saturday afternoon popcorn movie updated with special effects that looked pretty darned good (even 40 years later, they hold up). 

And now? It has been a chore to watch what has come out since the original three. About the only movie in the series I have really enjoyed since the original trilogy was Rogue One. Heck, it has become so boring, I skipped Solo completely. 

Saying that, I will go see this in a movie theater, just because there is no way I cannot. As they said, it is the end of a saga. 

I agree that Rogue One stands miles apart from all the other Star Wars movies to date as an actually really good film.

I.E., it has merit as a good film even if viewed independently in a vacuum without all the preconceived trappings and expectations of it being a product of the Star Wars franchise.

The film that probably comes in second, for me, would be Empire Strikes Back, which I think is easily the best of the Original Three.

The next 3 (Episodes 1, 2, and 3) shall not be discussed.  :lol:

Edited by Nextmanup

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

No not really. The Last Jedi was simply a lousy installment. That was just a covenient narrative for Johnson to play victim with.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/13/2019 at 3:31 PM, apuszczalowski said:

Then there a whole new group recently of typically white wannabe macho males who will hate it too because their are woman in prominent roles, along with minorities playing characters and they will cry because its gona all 'SJW!'

The politically correct term is Men of White.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:25 AM, Nextmanup said:

I liked this trailer until she attempted to jump over a speeding TIE fighter which seems highly unlikely to me, even in a make-believe world filled with amazing Jedi powers.

I did think the early shot of the TIE coming at her was really cool.  You could hear it, see it, and clearly tell it was a TIE fighter; they put in a "heat haze" to depict heat coming off the engines (I guess) and it was clearly kicking up sand/dirt.  The attention to small detail made it realistic and pretty cool.

Then they go full James Bond and have her jump over the thing.  Presumably she will light saber the pilot through the windshield while doing a back flip over the thing, killing him instantly.  Then maybe she'll hop in the vehicle herself and take off in it! 

Why do they have to always go over the top with this stuff?

The strength of the original 3 Star Wars films was that they created a futuristic world filled with advanced technology, but it all seemed familiar.  Stuff broke down, it needed to be repaired, parts had rust on them, all the vehicles were heavily weathered by the model makers.  It was a familiar universe filled with realism despite being so advanced, and that is part of why it was likable and successful.

It's not really impossible I mean with the force she should know/have the reaction time to jump when she needs to and the force also could allow her to reach the necessary height. I mean if you can lift an X-Wing/or a whole crap load of rocks with the force you can definitely jump extra high. The only thing I'm wondering is if that's Kylo Ren in the fighter why didn't the force tell him when to tap the brakes.

LOL 

Its Science Fiction Fantasy

Let your fantasy free and stop thinking about the theories of relativity and how they do or don't apply with that you just watched.

As a co-worker once said to me - When you go to a movie you put your brain on the seat next to you and just watch the movie. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/14/2019 at 3:52 PM, Rockpile233 said:

No not really. The Last Jedi was simply a lousy installment. That was just a covenient narrative for Johnson to play victim with.

I'm sure it would have been fine with some other title, but there's a whole universe of movies and shows and that one so drastically moved away from the tone of all the others.  They went the same path as Marvel, leaning too heavily on the comedy thanks to the success of Guardians of the Galaxy.  That style is fine, but not when you already have 7 other movies (yes, I'll even count the prequels) that don't have an ounce of it.  A similar move would be to make the next Bond movie a musical.

With all the complaints out there about that movie, the thing that really bugged me a lot was some poor development in general.  If you want to play up a heroic sacrifice to tug at the heart strings, it needs to be an actually developed character and not someone we just met 30 minutes ago.  That would have been a much better death to save for someone at least at the level of Ackbar.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I'm sure it would have been fine with some other title, but there's a whole universe of movies and shows and that one so drastically moved away from the tone of all the others.  They went the same path as Marvel, leaning too heavily on the comedy thanks to the success of Guardians of the Galaxy.  That style is fine, but not when you already have 7 other movies (yes, I'll even count the prequels) that don't have an ounce of it.  A similar move would be to make the next Bond movie a musical.

With all the complaints out there about that movie, the thing that really bugged me a lot was some poor development in general.  If you want to play up a heroic sacrifice to tug at the heart strings, it needs to be an actually developed character and not someone we just met 30 minutes ago.  That would have been a much better death to save for someone at least at the level of Ackbar.

A heroic sacrifice that included saving Ackbar would have left a theatre in tears, but would it have all been a trap?

As for the comedy, I think that started back in the prequels, it's pretty much the entire reason for Jar Jar Binks....... I like Guardians, but that's what I think bugged me about Thor Ragnorok, they tried to make Thor into the Guardians and make it more comedic which doesnt really work for the Thor character. Alot of the superhero stuff seems to be trying to go in that direction lately and take from Guardians. (I think it worked well in Guardians because they weren't a very well known Marvel entity to the average person so they could play the characters how they did and people didnt feel the characters weren't like the comics. Just like how after DC did Batman/Dark Knight as dark and edgy and others tried to copy that formula, they are now going for more comedy and hip music like Marvel did with Guardians. I just finished The Umbrella Academy on Netflix and it was done similar, noticing Titans/Doom Patrol to also go that way.

Theres many things affecting the Star Wars franchise and why people are disliking the newer films. I think one is that the time between the original trilogy to the prequels doesnt help because the ones who loved Star Wars when it came out as kids remember loving the originals as kids and now are grown up and taste have changed so the new ones dont live up in their minds. Second, and probably the biggest, Star Wars has a cult following and some spin offs in cartoons, books, comics, and other media that have continued story lines for the hardcore fans. They have their belief on how things should have went because of certain books or comics or shows have laid out the story, and if the movies dont follow what they believe is supposed to happen  they dont like it. Third, some people just expect way too much from movies/TV today that they cant enjoy something if they dont feel it reaches a certain level for them. The comic book movies, Star Wars, Transformers, etc. Are not supposed to be Oscar level masterpieces. The story lines are going to twist reality, have things that are unbelievable. They are meant for you to come out and turn off your brain for a few hours to just sit back and enjoy watching some action and explosions. This isnt for everybody and that's fine, no ones saying you have to watch. But you cant go into watching star wars and expect to see Shindlers List........

On 4/14/2019 at 10:46 AM, Logic said:

I think Rey is going to take the name "Skywalker" as a way to honor Luke and Leia. 

She will "become" a Skywalker by taking on the honorific title.

I'm in the opposite camp. I think there's some remaining spirit or holocron of Sidious calling to Rey from the remains of the death star 2.0. She goes there, learns she is a Palpatine, and Kylo completes his path to redemption by destroying her to mirror Vader downing Sidious in ep 6. Kylo then becomes Ben Skywalker (as Vader became Anakin again), and the knights of Ren become the new Jedi Order.

Sounds very Disney, no?

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm in the opposite camp. I think there's some remaining spirit or holocron of Sidious calling to Rey from the remains of the death star 2.0. She goes there, learns she is a Palpatine, and Kylo completes his path to redemption by destroying her to mirror Vader downing Sidious in ep 6. Kylo then becomes Ben Skywalker (as Vader became Anakin again), and the knights of Ren become the new Jedi Order.

Sounds very Disney, no?

LOL  

great theory   but ....  she's to pretty to go dark  

Good must triumph over evil 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Sounds very Disney, no?

So basically the third movie would have the good guy (girl) and the bad guy roles switch? Rey would become bad and Ren becomes good?

I could see Ren becoming good in this one, defeating the dark and joining the force, which would explain the title since he is technically a Skywalker on his moms side. Or Rey is found to be Rens sister and another child of Han/Leia and she takes on the Luke role with the force