You say you're all for BPA, but do you mean it?

Logic

BPA within reason. Depends on how big the talent gap is... If there was a player at a position of need and there was only a marginal dip in talent from a guy that was truly the BPA at a position that we don't need... What can ya do? You go need. Its complicated but if something isn't there, it's not there. That's how you end up with EJ Manuel or Kyler Murray in the 1st round. :)

Best player available is like anything else that's good for you but may be a little unpleasant to swallow at the time. 

Like eating your vegetables or taking time to get a little more exercise. 

BPA is obviously the best strategy, it's just not emotionally easy to do it.  I always pick the most optimal strategy when someone else has to do the hard part and I get to stay at home and complain about their blunders.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I see BPA as a philosophy, not a hard and fast rule.  Players are usually grouped in tiers.  Within the tiers you try to select for need.  There is not a BPA list from 1 to 200 and a team just picks the next name.

Now in your scenario the player on the board was in tier 1 at a position of strength and all others were lower tiers, taken the BPA.  The exception to that might be QB.

So this discussion is all about definition of BPA.

Yes and yes to the bolded.

Top Elite players (each team may have a different #) will have it's own list.

52 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was thinking about this the other day.

There are many fans on this board who say they're totally fine with the BPA strategy, i.e. drafting the best player available no matter what.. Many will go to great lengths to defend it or remind everyone daily that it's the way to go. I get it. I really do. I'm not here to argue against taking the best player available in each round. It's fine with me. I think every team does a little bit of lip service to it every year while also making draft picks that make it clear that "need" is at least a LITTLE BIT of a factor, but I digress.

The point of this post is this: You say you're all for taking the best player available in each round, but if that idea is put to the test, how will you react?

Here's the scenario --

The Bills have selected, let's say, Ed Oliver with pick 9. Now, after anxiously waiting for the Bills to be on the clock in the second round, it's finally time. Still available on the board are N'Keal Harry, Hakeem Butler, Irv Smith Jr, Chris Lindstrom, and Dalton Risner. The Bills turn in their card. We all wait with great anticipation as it is announced...."With the 40th pick in the 2019 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select....Rock Ya-Sin, cornerback, Temple". Or "The Buffalo Bills select Jonathan Abram, safety, Mississippi State".

Well? What's your reaction? Are you thrilled that the Bills got the highest rated player on their board? Are you not at all bothered that they didn't fill their offensive "needs"? What say you? When the tires hit the pavement, are you truly on board with drafting the BPA?

I believe all GM's are lying when they say they will always draft BPA.

No way. If BPA falls and has great value but you are already stacked at that position you then trade back. Then draft player that fills need and is also BPA. If need be trade back again. Doing otherwise is stupid.

EX: lets say QB's fell hard in 1st last year and Bills picks at 22 and 23 came up with both Josh's still available and they are ranked BPA left at that time. All the BPA spinners and Beane himself based on his/their very direct comments, then should have drafted Allen and then Rosen back to back.

see how stupid this BPA thinking is? 

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1

BPA by what measure?  They have their own internal grading that we'll never see.  By the 2nd round the top 5 BPAs, are probably pretty close in rating, so its not a choice of a single player as THE BPA.  Let me shift the scenario a bit.  You say we picked Oliver w/ #9. Its highly unlikely, but lets say someone like Christian Wilkins drops to #40.  He would likely be graded considerable higher than whoever else are the next best available players.  Lets say the same ones that OP identified.  Would we pick him... I bet we would!  

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 1

It's BPA within reason. You don't draft a QB with a top 10 pick if you already have a future hall of famer at the position. You don't draft a top RB if you already have a 23 year old all pro in the back field.

So BPA with the intention of improving your team.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’m on board for BPA. 

If if they think there is a great corner vs an ok wr- go get that corner. 

This sounds great, in theory. It does.

Reality is, BPA is not an exact. BPA is subjective for each team. 

End of the day, each GM will tell you they selected the best player on their board. 

26 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Ya totally, like when the Jets had Sheldon Richardson and Muhammed Wilkerson for their D interior and took.....Leonard Williams. 

BPA is very real.

No one should use the Jets as a basis for anything close to a team with a ‘strategy’. 

• Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

I think BPA may be a little broader in concept, meaning that players are likely rated in tiers and then you select your pick of need if they are on the same tier. All the players you listed could be on the same tier and therefore any of them is an BPA pick. When players fall and their tier grade is higher, you should select them regardless. 

In general this is the case....they typically will group players around the same grade and then make decisions based on whk is available eithin that grouping.

BPA all the way!  I have faith in Beane.  If highest rated player at 40 is CB or S- go for it!  I love Devin White- but we have Milano and Edwards already.  And nickel/dime defense has become base defense for NFL.  Can we improve upon Big Nickel?  Absolutely.  Wouldn't it be nice to have 5 quality CBs to match up with any formation thrown at us?  The only glaring needs are DT and TE.  With 10 picks, I am sure Mr Beane will improve upon both of those positions at some point.  I am ok with whomever as long as they don't reach.  Josh Jacobs, DK, Hotch, OT, etc- I am a ok with if they are in fact, the BPA

BPAoN is right like many have said. If the BPA is a player that we have 2 or 3 solid players at that position then it would be pointless to draft another one. 

In the same situation you have the BPA and another guy a spot or two lower on your BPA board, it becomes a matter of, are you willing to get that guy a where you are sitting with your pick because he fills a need or do you want to try and trade it. 

If they have the same guy with a 2nd round grade near the top of their list because all the other BPAoN players were taken already then I would expect a trade back. 

Here is a good article about putting together an NFL Draft board by Greg Gabriel (ex Director of College Scouting from Chicago Bears)

an extract:

After the stacking-by-position process is done, you are ready to put together a final value board that consists of players from every position. In this case you may have several players from different positions who have basically the same grade. Now you have to prioritize as to what player you would take first, second and third within that group.

When doing this exercise, need often comes into play. The players have roughly the same talent level, so now if corner is a greater need than wide receiver, then the corner's card would be placed higher than the receiver's card on the board.

When the final board is completed, there will be many players who are quality talents not on the board. That could be because they are not scheme fits, have medical problems or have character concerns. The reason you don't have these names on your final board is because the last thing you need on draft day is confusion.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1953077-how-nfl-teams-put-together-a-big-board-for-the-nfl-draft

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Ya totally, like when the Jets had Sheldon Richardson and Muhammed Wilkerson for their D interior and took.....Leonard Williams. 

BPA is very real.

This is a great example, too, because of how the next few years played out.

At the time that Williams was selected, he was viewed as a luxury pick. What happened in the years to come?

Richardson turned into a turd and didn't stick around. Wilkerson couldn't reach a long term deal with the Jets. Only Williams remains on their roster.

This is the perfect example of the logic of picking BPA, and how it can work out very well for the team.