Which RB are we spending an early round pick on?

Pete

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Releasing Ivory leads me to believe that the Bills will use a high draft pick on RB.  That RB will help out Josh, and probably be the 3rd down back. My guess is Beane will wait and see which player slides to 9, if a high grade player is not available, he will trade down.  And after trade down, all bets are off on first pick, and that very well could be RB.  Could our first pick be Devin Singletary or Josh Jacobs?  Where do you see the Bills drafting a RB?  Whom?

I hope you are right and that it is very early in the draft.

But now, he will not be the 3rd down running back!

If the Bills are smart enough to get a great back in the first two rounds, he will readily beat out the current running backs--it will be a slam dunk, no contest decision. And the Bills will know that going in.

I just hope the Bills are that smart...

Josh Jacobs?

5 hours ago, Rico said:

Nothing before Day 3 please.

To address one of the most clear and obvious weaknesses on our team!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inexplicable.

Yikes.

Edited by Mister Defense

12 hours ago, Pete said:

Releasing Ivory leads me to believe that the Bills will use a high draft pick on RB.  That RB will help out Josh, and probably be the 3rd down back. My guess is Beane will wait and see which player slides to 9, if a high grade player is not available, he will trade down.  And after trade down, all bets are off on first pick, and that very well could be RB.  Could our first pick be Devin Singletary or Josh Jacobs?  Where do you see the Bills drafting a RB?  Whom?

Not the yr for taking a bk in first 2rds. I hope McBeane sees this clearly wait for the value to rise to the top so it could be anywhere starting from the 3rd to 6th rd that they take one.  

I truly believe the Bills will take either TJ Hockenson or Ed Oliver with there first pk then depending on who they get they will trade bk into the late first for either a TE or DT.

11 hours ago, njbuff said:

If the Bills keep most of, if not all, of their picks, they will almost certainly draft a RB at some point.

And I also think the UDFA pool of RB's is going to be deep this year.

The Bills brought 4 UDFA's last year who they like and can play (Foster, Love, Wallace, Boettger). That is unheard of.

So, maybe they can also find an UDFA RB who can play.

Keith Ford - UDFA - RB

Devine Ozigbo's agent need to give me commission the amount of times I bring up his name. I love that kid and would love for him to be the third guy behind McCoy and Gore. Two great professionals to learn from. 

It's going to be really interesting to see where Rodney Anderson and Bryce Love go. If they stayed healthy they would've been taken in the first two days. Now they're Day 3 guys. 

James Washington from Washington State is another guy I like. Interesting player who's had 202 receptions, 1437 receiving yards and 8 TD's as a RB in college. That's insane. I don't think he ever becomes a star like Ozigbo, Anderson and Love but he's going to have a solid NFL career as a change of pace back/3rd down guy.

9: R1P9

EDGE RASHAN GARY
MICHIGAN
40: R2P8

RB JOSH JACOBS
ALABAMA
74: R3P10

CB AMANI ORUWARIYE
PENN STATE
112: R4P10

TE JACE STERNBERGER
TEXAS A&M
131: R4P29

LB TERRILL HANKS
NEW MEXICO STATE
147: R5P9

WR MILES BOYKIN
NOTRE DAME
158: R5P20

DRU SAMIA
OKLAHOMA
181: R6P8

EDGE MAXX CROSBY
EASTERN MICHIGAN
225: R7P11

CB DAVID LONG
MICHIGAN
228: R7P14

EDGE SUTTON SMITH
NORTHERN ILLINOIS

I’ve felt all along that round 3-4 would see us take a RB. I’m a little surprised Ivory didn’t stay around until after the draft, but I suppose it doesn’t matter much. They had a reason for their timing. No question thye will be able to find a good young prospect, even if it’s someone like Love who can be brought along slowly behind some HOF RB’s and learn the ropes. No new ideas here, just reinforcing one point of view. 

11 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

To address one of the most clear and obvious weaknesses on our team!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inexplicable.

Yikes.

The most clear and obvious weakness on our team is dt not rb. We have yet to replace Kyle Williams who was the heart and soul of our defense last year. Followed by DE because most of our DE's aren't on contract past this season. Then after them maybe you have a case for running back but I feel it would likely be wr and te followed by a young tackle prospect to groom. Then Corner back because I find it hard to believe in our depth right now since both Gaines and Johnson are very injury prone. We went through 6 starting corner backs on the 2 side last year.  Then after that it is running back finally in my mind. More so because you can find decent to above average running backs late in the draft or in free agency a lot more easily than those other positions.  

Edited by dje85

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont think there is much chance we will take a RB in round 1.  I agree, all bets are off, but I just don't see any scenario where BPA on Beane's board with be a RB in the first round.  So much DL, WR, TE, OL talent there when we trade down that I just don't see it.  Especially after Jacobs ran so slow.  Now had Jacobs ran fast, then I think it may have had a bit more possibility.

But I do think we will take a guy in the first 4 rounds with rounds 3 or 4 being the most likely.  I think Love, Henderson, Snell, Singletary, etc are all in play there.  

If Jacobs slips to the 2nd round though, then maybe Beane goes for RB earlier and takes him.  But I think there are some other players in the 2nd that will be higher on the board like Ximines, Irv/Fant, Simmons, Tillery, several WR's, Risner and other OL guys that would make more sense with then us coming back and getting a RB with one of our next 3 picks overs round 3 and 4.  

TBH, I would be pretty surprised to see a RB taken before round 3.  I wont be upset, just think this draft is deep in RB in rounds 3, 4, and even 5 this year.  And just don't see enough separation in them to point at one and say he is a must get guy in rounds 1 or 2.

At the rate we're averaging posts created about drafting a RB, most with high picks, you'd think we'd be bringing in seven of them next year....

But agreed - from the armchair perspective, it's more likely that RB will be addressed in rounds 3+ given the depth of talent at other positions for the value pick needed. Frankly, I don't see a single RB in this draft worth a 2nd round pick, even Jacobs, for what other talent value can be had in that round at DL, OL, WR, and TE. All of which are likely of a higher BPA value than RB at the present time. If the trigger is pulled, I believe it would be Singletary in the 4th/5th pending availability of Henderson, Snell, and Love.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I haven't seen video on most of these guys but I did like what I saw of David Montgomery of Iowa State.  At 5''10",  222 lbs. he's like a bowling ball with good vision and balance.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
Kareem Hunt
Overview
One of the safest runners in this draft with a desirable combination of size, vision, toughness and creativity. He runs with impressive calm and instincts in the midst of interior mayhem, weaving and battering his way through traffic. Smart teams will recognize his ability to create yardage for himself with his eyes, footwork, contact balance and power. Should alleviate concerns about his lack of explosiveness. Montgomery has a pro-ready game and Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) value as a good NFL starter.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER