LB - Starters/Depth - Is more needed?

8 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

All this LB talk got me thinking about Cornelius Bennett.  He played OLB on run downs and on passing downs, he often lined up as a pass rusher opposite Bruce Smith.

Is there anyone in this year's draft that has Bennett skill set or could Edmunds be this guy?  Im guessing they would have to a get a MLB to free up Edmunds.

To be fair, that was a 3-4 alignment, technically. So a longer, pass-rushing OLB who could also set the edge was instrumental. 

The Bills current D is different, in many ways. I'm sure you know that, though, and of course a #2 overall talent like #97, on the field, has a home in really any scheme/alignment. 

17 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I still could see them consider a LB early- Devin White at 9 isn’t out of the question, though I think they will lean DL there.  Easily could see LB in round 2 or 3.

I can't at all see that. I would be willing to put money on it. And I'm cheap I won't even pay for extra Guac. That's telling you something. 

On 3/25/2019 at 2:54 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Starters Matt Milano - Tremaine Edmunds - Lorenzo Alexander

Depth :  Julian Stafford, Deon Lacey, Corey Thompson

Possible Hybrid :  Maurice Alexander

Lorax, Stafford, Maurice Alexander and Lacey are FAs next year.

First off I am a little shocked Beane hasn't signed a decent depth/possible starter FA yet.

Is it because McDermott has very specific requirements or just couldn't get anyone to sign?

Will Beane still sign a decent depth LB, if so who would fit?

Secondly with the FA signing so far at other positions does this put LB in the top 4 rounds of the draft?

Personally I see LB now as the riskiest group on D and I don't think the depth at LB will get it done.

Bear,Alexander will not be a starter this year...draft a inside guy high..move Edmunds to the outside spot.In addition,not one of the current back-ups should be on the roster come September.90 million and ten draft picks coming into this off season...the corps won't be ignored any longer...McDermott won't allow it.

JMHO's.

Peace.

2020 FA LB class is nice.

1. Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks

2. Deion Jones, Atlanta Falcons

3. Shaq Thompson, Carolina Panthers

4. Joe Schobert, Cleveland Browns

5. Blake Martinez, Green Bay Packers

4 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Bear,Alexander will not be a starter this year...draft a inside guy high..move Edmunds to the outside spot.In addition,not one of the current back-ups should be on the roster come September.90 million and ten draft picks coming into this off season...the corps won't be ignored any longer...McDermott won't allow it.

JMHO's.

Peace.

Interesting input, not sure about them moving Edmunds.  I guess we'll all know at draft time what is planned.  I tend to agree about the backups.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:00 PM, XABI64 said:

Finally someone talking about our LB's 

I felt like I was the only one who thought we needed to address the position. Last year we had one of the worst LB groups in the league. Milano is a great player but he isn't a top 10-15 ranked guy at the position. When McD was in Carolina he had the best LB core in the league. LB's are the MOST important position in his scheme. The fact we have yet to address the position this offseason tells me that might be the pick in round 1. Edmunds is still learning and we still don't know if he is able to play in that MLB role. 

Our poor run defense didn't come from the dline, it was b/c our LB's are not good. 

Jamie Collins is a free agent we should pick him up.  He can play multiple positions for us or sign Dion Jordan put him under Lorax tutelage for a season.  U also have MLBs like Brandon Marshall and Zach Brown 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I agree that we need LB.  But IMO Beane is looking for 3 starters in this draft, leading me to believe those will be first 3 picks.   OT, DT/Edge, TE I am fairly certain will be first 3 selections, and all 3 would have shot to start

56 minutes ago, Pete said:

I agree that we need LB.  But IMO Beane is looking for 3 starters in this draft, leading me to believe those will be first 3 picks.   OT, DT/Edge, TE I am fairly certain will be first 3 selections, and all 3 would have shot to start

You aren't going to fix it all in one year, IMO unless LB is a BPA when we are on the clock we will end up with DT, Edge, TE, OL before an LB. I agree

15 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Jamie Collins is a free agent we should pick him up.  He can play multiple positions for us or sign Dion Jordan put him under Lorax tutelage for a season.  U also have MLBs like Brandon Marshall and Zach Brown 

????

????

No offense, but the guy is hot garbage.

Marshall is older (we already got Zo). I do like Brown, always thought he was a good player.

Edited by billsbackto81

IDK why everyone is so obsessed with moving Edmunds and/ replacing MM this offseason. I can’t see any reason why the team would be looking to upgrade at their spots this year. Edmunds made a substantial amount of rookie mistakes with fills and seemed to lack strength and leverage at times while taking on blockers. The flipside is that his height and athleticism need to be game planned for because of the amount of area he can take up in zone coverage. 

Now... If Edmunds doesn’t improve at MLB or Milano ends up getting injured again I can see them taking care of that in 2020 by using a 1st on a LBer. Until then they’ll be looking at depth and a possible Alexander replacement. That said, they like competition so I could easily see them going LB in the 3rd or even moving up to the late second if someone they have a hard-on for falls. 

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:31 AM, BillsFan1988 said:

Surprised Collins isn't signed.  I wonder if he isn't asking for too much $'s?

Lorax is a dinosaur who's lost a step (obviously he's ancient) and when he regresses more he's a liability, but even if he stays at the same level, he's not good in coverage.

Milano looked awesome, but that injury sucked, and who knows if he'll be back to full effectiveness.

The depth behind them is worrisome.

Unfortunately it's a terrible lb draft.

On 3/25/2019 at 4:07 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

They need an edge rusher more than a true linebacker. They play nickel 60% of the time and need a player that can replace Lorax as an edge rusher but who can stay on the field at OLB in the base defense when needed. Top 4 need in the draft along with TE, OT, and DT

I feel like Tremaine Edmunds was made for this role.  Sliding him to SLB and inserting Devin White at MLB with a 3-tech added in the second would take this defense over the top.  We'd still have Hughes, Shaq, and Murphy at DE this year and can address that situation next off-season.

Edited by Bills Survivor

2 hours ago, Bills Survivor said:

I feel like Tremaine Edmunds was made for this role.  Sliding him to SLB and inserting Devin White at MLB with a 3-tech added in the second would take this defense over the top.  We'd still have Hughes, Shaq, and Murphy at DE this year and can address that situation next off-season.

Your assessment is correct but I dont see them moving Edmunds from MLB. I think Edmunds could be an All-pro at SLB. He got better as the season wore on at MLB and he is so young for the role they thrust him into.  Allen and Edmunds will determine the fate of Beane and McD.

I think more depth is needed.  A younger Sam is definitely needed.  Does the modern day SAM

actually exist?  With the offense still lacking talent compared to the defense I wouldn't want Buffalo doing anything at LB til day 3.  I can concede at 9 the most impactful football player could very well be an edge rusher or DT.  If they do that I would like the next 3 picks go to the offense.  Whether its Rb,we, te, Oline I dont really care but young talent is needed at any of those spots. Going defense, defense holds the offense back too much imo.  

Edited by Mat68

I think there are a bunch of young, fast, smaller linebackers that will be available in the later rounds of the draft, where you can easily add some depth. 

As for replacing Lorax at SAM, i think the McBeane will go after Shaq Thompson who is playing on a 5th year option and is set to be an UFA next offseason.