Happy Birthday to the World Wide Web - 30 yrs old

Happy Birthday to the World Wide Web  

So who really invented it?  

DARPA?   

Al Gore?

Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee  [1] [2] 

[1] Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee  while he was working at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research in Switzerland.

[2]The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) was founded by Tim Berners-Lee after he left the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in October 1994.

It was founded at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Laboratory for Computer Science (MIT/LCS) with support from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), which had pioneered the Internet; a year later

34 minutes ago, T&C said:

And to think we had Windows 98...

he hem 

Windows 95 

Microsoft Windows launched. Not really widely used until version 3, released in 1990, Windows required DOS to run and so was not a complete operating system (until Windows 95, released on August 21, 1995). 

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

he hem 

Windows 95 

Microsoft Windows launched. Not really widely used until version 3, released in 1990, Windows required DOS to run and so was not a complete operating system (until Windows 95, released on August 21, 1995). 

Oh I know, but 98 is the first one I ever used. I can still hear the sound of the dialing, hoping I clicked in at least 28.8.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I had Windows 95  then maybe Windows ME - Millennium Edition and Windows 2000 was supposed to be the greatest of them all.

i still have a laptop with Win95 on it.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

[1] Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee  while he was working at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research in Switzerland.

[2]The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) was founded by Tim Berners-Lee after he left the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in October 1994.

It was founded at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Laboratory for Computer Science (MIT/LCS) with support from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), which had pioneered the Internet; a year later

And like most parents, Tim Berners-Lee is disappointed in his 30 year old adolescent

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/19/03/12/140242/tim-berners-lee-says-world-wide-web-must-emerge-from-adolescence

• Haha (+1) 1

Netscape Navigator was the superior browser.  

Microsoft Internet Explorer had the superior deal makers and marketers. 

If it wasn't for the internet, the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal would have likely never been exposed.   

I never had anything to do with the internet or computers until 1999, bought one for $300 (did not know at the time I was ripped off). it was funny too because of the concern of going to 2000 for computer generated data. 

now, internet is a source for many things and used daily and after learning my hard lesson in purchasing junk, I build my own rigs.

30 years ago. that was a pretty cool time, aside from the creation of the world wide web.