The Jets Are Winning Free Agency, But Will It Even Matter in 2019?

I used to say loading up on FA doesn't work and then the Rams came along and proved that theory wrong, I like most of the moves the Jets made, they improved both sides of the ball but still have glaring holes at CB, DL, TE and OL although matt Paradis would be a great pickup for them if he goes there which I hope he doesn't.

3 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Maccagan must be feeing the hot seat.  He’s gone all out in Doug Whaley-like desperation to sign big names in Free Agency to phat contracts including:

Anthony “The” Barr

CJ Mosely

Jamison Crowder

Josh Bellamy

The retaining of Robby Anderson and Big Quince Enunwa.

And they may not be done as rumors are flying they are interested in Matt Paradis and possibly L’evion Bell.

Its easy to say that so far the Jets have “won the offseason” like Rex Ryan would say.  

But will it matter?  It’s not hard to throw around guaranteed cash and sign players to big contracts.  We saw Buddy Nix and Whaley do this as Bills fans.  Loading a team doesn’t work unless they are properly utilized.  For that to happen you need good coaching in place, which comes down to Adam Gase and Greggggggg Williams.   Gase has been accused by Miami fans of squandering talent on several different rosters, and didn’t do very much to reclaim Ryan Tannehil.  

Do you worry about the Jets next season after these splashy FA moves?

Barr and Mosely are quality adds, Crowder excels in the slot where Enuwa was already a best so that to me not a great move. Bellamy is a depth WR at best. So there LBs look better yet they still have questions along the D-line and at CB and RB and to a degree outside WR. I'm not too worried yet. 

Maccagan must be feeing the hot seat.  He’s gone all out in Doug Whaley-like desperation to sign big names in Free Agency to phat contracts including:

Anthony “The” Barr

CJ Mosely

Jamison Crowder

Josh Bellamy

And they may not be done as rumors are flying they are interested in Matt Paradis and possibly L’evion Bell.

Its easy to say that so far the Jets have “won the offseason” like Rex Ryan would say.  

But will it matter?  It’s not hard to throw around guaranteed cash and sign players to big contracts.  We saw Buddy Nix and Whaley do this as Bills fans.  Loading a team doesn’t work unless they are properly utilized.  For that to happen you need good coaching in place, which comes down to Adam Gase and Greggggggg Williams.   Gase has been accused by Miami fans of squandering talent on several different rosters, and didn’t do very much to reclaim Ryan Tannehil.  

Winning?  Huh?  

They signed a couple LBs, the WRs were meh.  Crowder was meh with cousins throwing him the ball.  Not exactly a game changing signing.  Bellamy?  I mean he’s not even worthy of his own thread, yet someone started one.  

They haven’t won anything yet, I mean FA hasn’t even really started yet.  That was a bad defense, going to take more that 2 LBs to fix it.

• Like (+1) 1

Anthony “The” Barr

CJ Mosely

Jamison Crowder

Josh Bellamy

Cap hell is coming for the Jets. They likely have eaten up 45 of their 80 mil in cap space, if you take the average per year as the cap hit. You think they're going to sign Bell and Paradis? Doubtful. They also will have a $5 mil cap hit with their #3 pick, let alone signing their other picks. Too much, too soon.

2 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Doesn't change the fact that Darnold went to USC. The Jets don't scare me in the slightest.

Injuries ruined Palmer unfortunately.

The other guys are a nice long list that define the term "bust"... And I don't mean the bust that winds up in Canton ??

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you look at it objectively at the moment they are probably the team that has improved the most since the start of FA. They added, Mosley, Barr, Osemele, Bellamy and Crowder. They are a much better team today than they were 2 days ago. The Bills are a better team than they were 2 days ago too. The Jets, at this point, have improved more than the Bills. That can certainly change but it is perfectly reasonable for both teams to improve.

Just checking in on the status of this one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Just checking in on the status of this one.

You might want to read it again. You are missing a few key words “at this point.” FWIW, Barr was the worst of their signings IMO. As I said, both teams have improved. I’m not sure what you are debating? 

Yeah, um...The Jets are NOT winning free agency.

Crowder is a good get, as is Bellamy. Not world shattering.

And Mosley is an AWESOME player, but paying that kind of money to an off-ball linebacker? No thanks.

And then Barr backing out on them?

Also, their need for a center was/is as big as the Bills, and they missed on both Morse and Paradis, and it's well known that they went hard after Paradis.

Not impressed with the Jets' offseason at all. But then, that's not surprising, because I think Mike McCagnan is a terrible GM.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You might want to read it again. You are missing a few key words “at this point.” FWIW, Barr was the worst of their signings IMO. As I said, both teams have improved. I’m not sure what you are debating? 

More of a playful jab given their abject failures with paradis and barr

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

More of a playful jab given their abject failures with paradis and barr

I LOVE that Barr backed out. I can’t believe that they didn’t get Paradis at that number. That feels like it should have been an easy one. From the sounds of it Bell isn’t dying to go there either. He may end up there but...

5 hours ago, eball said:

I don't know, I don't recall thinking either of those teams "spent wildly" but I may be wrong...as noted in another thread, only Denver's spending spree the year they brought in Peyton really comes to mind...

The Rams traded for Cooks, signed Suh, traded for Dante Fowler all last year, Not all FA deals necessarily but they went all in. Also extended Gurley and Donald but thats signing their own players

Edited by jletha

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

AHAHAHA! This is actually the best Free Agency thing to happen to the Bills. 

Although this is really the problem with the tampering phase- players don't have time to make decisions that respect their desires. 

I love that the thought of playing for the jests is this emoji:

:sick:

It's even green

Edited by Reed83HOF