Antonio Brown trade may be happening today, announcing team soon: UPDATE: TRADED to Raiders

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Explain how they are better in the long term without him?

now also explain to me how you have confidence in this Offense moving in the right direction. Because it has regressed in two years of this regime. 

Funny thing Unlike the Fans that think we are better without him. BRANDON BEANE didn’t think so. 

Pay a troubled super star for short term gain - maybe 10 years ago and he would fill seats but we would still be a mediocre team and every August gullible fans would cry this is the year. I applaud Beane for doing due diligence but also applaud that he stepped away! Building a winning organization with character, most of us have the patience! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, vorpma said:

Pay a troubled super star for short term gain - maybe 10 years ago and he would fill seats but we would still be a mediocre team and every August gullible fans would cry this is the year. I applaud Beane for doing due diligence but also applaud that he stepped away! Building a winning organization with character, most of us have the patience! 

Facts are the Offense would be better with him on the team.  And even at his age still producing at the best WR level. 

Now if you want to argue about the new contract fine you won’t find an argument from me, because I wanted AB as long as it didn’t come with new money. 

But to say he would not have improved the offense that has regressed and was historically bad last year is just naive and ill-informed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Facts are the Offense would be better with him on the team.  And even at his age still producing at the best WR level. 

Now if you want to argue about the new contract fine you won’t find an argument from me, because I wanted AB as long as it didn’t come with new money. 

But to say he would not have improved the offense that has regressed and was historically bad last year is just naive and ill-informed. 

Fair enough, we are in agreement!

4 minutes ago, vorpma said:

I don't buy the we would still be mediocre part, but I do applaud the McBeane regime for having the confidence to take on a player like AB in part because of the work they have done building up good character to this point in the Bills locker room.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Figster said:

I don't buy the we would still be mediocre part, but I do applaud the McBeane regime for having the confidence to take on a player like AB in part because of the work they have done building up good character to this point in the Bills locker room.  

Good post, but I have watched teams for years, including the Bills, pay superstars that fill stadiums nut just can't reach the playoff threshold.  I want a dominant team for a decade, a team always in the playoff hunt, a perennial winner; not a season or two of arena football!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why is the guaranteed money such a big deal (or "stupid")?  This is essentially the same deal Sammy Watkins got....and Watkins ain't no AB, to put it very kindly.

OBJ is getting 65 million guaranteed on a 5 year 90 million deal!  Mike Evans 55 million guaranteed on an 82 million deal. 

This Bills are paying Latooleeoooleee 50 million with 25 million guaranteed.  Granted it's over 5 year, but it's also for a zero impact player.

Guaranteed money isn't stupid, it's part of the deal.  Standard stuff.  As a % of his total contract, AB's guarantee is the lowest of that group.

It was stupid with Watkins, too.  And OBJ isn't 31 years old.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

Please list in alphabetical order receivers (must be diva/locker room cancers too) have been worth 17m per year past age 30. I’ll wait......no sour grapes here pard. I’m just genuinely glad they didn’t make this move. 

Pay your QB, OL and pass rushers. You can’t sustain a team paying an aging WR 54 million. 

Absurd.  There have been plenty of highly productive WRs over 30 recently: Larry Fitz, AJ Green, Julio Jones...oh, wait, a 32 year old WR just won the Super Bowl MVP!  Brown’s really has no drop off since turning 30. It’s ridiculous to assume he won’t be really good for at least 2 more years.

And if you’re still arguing that WR is a “complementary” position, then the NFL passed you by a long time ago.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

Beane didn’t feel comfortable with the money demands because we’ve got a bunch of good young players here and, you bring in a guy like AB for all that money, the young guys are going to see his “me first” attitude and start acting the same way. 

That is absurd on multiple levels. 

1. Beane knew from the start AB would want big money. You don’t need to get in the trade talks to find that out. 

2. Players like to see guys get paid. That is a unifying front for them. The bills players would have loved to get AB in their team. 

3.  Don’t pay for stars because we have young guys that will get upset? Let’s be a team of guys on rookie contracts and be a 4-7 win team forever. 

27 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Any trade was going to require new money.    AB had made that clear weeks ago.

The lesson teams should learn from this is that front loading all of the guarantees in this contract is what set the stage for AB to double dip on his contract and the Steelers to get hosed.

If you have a hard working, healthy superstar player you need to create more incentive for them to stay the course.

That may mean shorter, fully guaranteed deals for superstar players.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I won't wish injury upon any player, be it Derek Carr or even Marsha Brady, but it would be karmic for Antonio Brown to spend a few games with Nathan Peterman while Juju Smith-Schuster is lighting up the scoreboard with Ben Roethlesberger

• Haha (+1) 1

Good, this nonsense is over. 

Now take the 16-17 mill a season we would have spent on AB and get 2 stud O-lineman, then with the draft picks saved get some WR's whom will last longer than 3 years and develop with Allen.

So glad this fell through.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 2

My take is the Raiders were working with the Raiders and Bills, among others for a deal.

IMO the Bills offered greater than the 3rd and 5th the Raiders paid.  The Steelers wanted to take the Bills deal, but Brown stated he wouldn't play in Buffalo.

So the Steelers used Rap Sheet to put out a report that Brown was on the verge of getting traded to Buffalo in order for the Raiders to raise their offer, even though the Steelers and Bills had known at that point that Brown wouldn't go to Buffalo. 

It ended up blowing up in their face.  Within a few hours Brown reacted with Fake news.  Beane said there were "positive talks" but no deal could be reached, most likely cuz Brown didn't want to play in Buffalo.  So they had a small window to try and ramp up the Raiders offer, and it didn't work.  So they settled for a 3rd and 5th, since at that point the Raiders were most likely bidding against themselves.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

now also explain to me how you have confidence in this Offense moving in the right direction. Because it has regressed in two years of this regime. 

Funny thing Unlike the Fans that think we are better without him. BRANDON BEANE didn’t think so. 

Brandon Beane didn’t want to pay that contact imo. Brown probably didn’t want to come here either. Flashy moves like that have a very low success rate. This team will still be set up for the playoffs this year without Brown. Just be patient it is going to be a good offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Good, this nonsense is over. 

Now take the 16-17 mill a season we would have spent on AB and get 2 stud O-lineman, then with the draft picks saved get some WR's whom will last longer than 3 years and develop with Allen.

So glad this fell through.

This would be the perfect time to pay a WR $16-17M for 3 years. We have a QB on his rookie deal so have the space. Develop a young WR and let AB walk in 3 years. In a few years if Allen pans out he is getting $20M+ per and then you will have a hard time paying a WR. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

This will be interesting to see.  Amari Cooper looked much better once he left the Raiders. I am curious how much of a drop off, of any, Brown will have there.

My guess is he end up with around a 1000 yards, he is going to have a drop off for sure.

23 minutes ago, ngbills said:

That is absurd on multiple levels. 

1. Beane knew from the start AB would want big money. You don’t need to get in the trade talks to find that out. 

2. Players like to see guys get paid. That is a unifying front for them. The bills players would have loved to get AB in their team. 

3.  Don’t pay for stars because we have young guys that will get upset? Let’s be a team of guys on rookie contracts and be a 4-7 win team forever. 

So Beane should not have even kicked the tires to establish the parameters of a possible trade?  

Now THAT’S truly absurd!

He never wanted it in the media, because he knew this nonsense would ensue - but Rappaport cared more about breaking the story first than getting the story right.

Why don’t you wait and see what else Beane does on the trade and Free Agency fronts?  He may surprise you with some super talent of high character.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

We can't predict the future so we don't know if the Bills are better long term without him.  But they're not worse: they're just the same.  IMHO if they had added him, he'd have been a locker room cancer

What they need to do is build up the OL, draft a WR, and develop their own Antonio Brown: Robert Foster.

13 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

This will be interesting to see.  Amari Cooper looked much better once he left the Raiders. I am curious how much of a drop off, of any, Brown will have there.

Yeah, his Dallas stats extrapolated over a full season are 1,288 yards and 11 TDs.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billspro said:

Brandon Beane didn’t want to pay that contact imo. Brown probably didn’t want to come here either. Flashy moves like that have a very low success rate. This team will still be set up for the playoffs this year without Brown. Just be patient it is going to be a good offseason. 

Really But Beane did try and trade for him. I get that he might not have wanted to deal

out the contract. But DID try to trade for him. Meaning our GM obviously thinks he is needed at a certain value.