Article for those obsessing about Metcalf

TigerJ

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

It doesn't matter. Those who have a hard-on for him still see him as the second coming of Calvin Johnson, who sure did an awful lot for Stafford and Detroit in his career - I still can't get over the multiple MVP awards and Super Bowl victories. It's comical, I feel this is the same type of crowd who said EJ needs more time or Tyrod will improve and needs mroe time - there is no room for rational discussion....

Luckily, we have Beane and McDermott and company to make the decisions for us fans. Like a sheep, I’ll trust whatever they decide. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think it's only the 3 cone where offensive lineman were beating him.  It's also the shuttle where 12 of the 13 QB's that participated were faster.  He was a total freak show in the 40, bench press, vertical and broad jump but he was equally bad in the agility testing.  He was in the 2-3% on both ends of the spectrum.  So it's not like he was just average, so when you take into account the physical attributes you know you have something special.  He was awful in that testing.  

This is just so weird it has to be a concern.  He slipped in the cone drill but that looked more like a slip because he's stiff - than a dang, dude was going so fast his foot slipped out from him and screwed up his time.  

I'm not an expert but from what I read, the agility tests show change of direction ability.   Maybe what he's exceptional at is good enough to become a star WR.  I just think this raises some serious questions. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm sure this was posted in the other thread, but I haven't gone through the whole thing.

I guess take him in the 2nd if he's there, but I would be much more pissed about him at 9 than I was with Allen at 7, and I was really pissed with Allen at 7. 

That change of direction is pretty terrible. 

I guess as a big, deep threat, he could be useful for Allen. Looks too limited for my liking though. 

Edited by elroy16

34 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Wonder what these draft genius's would have said about Julio Jones after he screwed up on the 20 yd shuttle. 

They said, well, at least we have tape of him dominating at the college level for 3 years.

Unlike what they said with Metcalf.

• Like (+1) 2

Super athletic players flame out all the time - i don't care much for combine numbers when it hasn't translated on the field much.  His 3 year stat line looks like a good 1 year stat line.  How is that not an issue?  Isn't it strange that AJ Brown put up significantly better numbers every year?

Using the old 100 yard baseline - Metcalf had 4 100 yard games in his 3 year's playing.  Brown had 4 100 yard games in his last 5 games of his time at Ole Miss.

Better do your homework on this kid if you like him with a 1st round pick.  Is he open and his QBs just preferred throwing to the other guy?  

2 hours ago, eball said:

Knowing this regime (McBeane) like we do, I think there is 0% chance they risk a pick like #9 on this guy.  And I fully support that position.

How many people said that last year about Allen vs Rosen though.  Beane will take the guy he feels will be the best player regardless

30 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

I'm sure this was posted in the other thread, but I haven't gone through the whole thing.

I guess take him in the 2nd if he's there, but I would be much more pissed about him at 9 than I was with Allen at 7, and I was really pissed with Allen at 7. 

I guess as a big, deep threat, he could be useful for Allen. Looks too limited for my liking though. 

That's the metric for sure.  It's maybe the strangest thing I've ever seen.  

I just don't think we can make that gamble at 9 either and I think we all know he's not slipping to the 2nd round.  I think N'Keal Harry is the real deal.  

2 hours ago, wppete said:

It's his extreme awkwardness when he changes direction that causes him to slip, it's not the slipping that causes him to look awkward. This a huge red flag.

57 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

It doesn't matter. Those who have a hard-on for him still see him as the second coming of Calvin Johnson, who sure did an awful lot for Stafford and Detroit in his career - I still can't get over the multiple MVP awards and Super Bowl victories. It's comical, I feel this is the same type of crowd who said EJ needs more time or Tyrod will improve and needs mroe time - there is no room for rational discussion....

I'm not for drafting him, but c'mon -- Johnson was a great player who made the Lions better. He came to a terrible franchise, and they went to the playoffs twice in his time there. They also  should have advanced in 2014 if not for absolutely atrocious refereeing in their playoff game vs. Dallas. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

He translates as more of a Terrell Owens to me. Same frame but a bit bigger. He was productive at Ole Miss and didn't have the greatest QBs throwing to him. IDK if he's top ten for the simple fact that interior/exterior Linemen and QBs will fill the voids. BTW Owens was 3% body fat and stayed healthy, even played in the Super Bowl with a broken foot after he did it the two weeks prior.

Edited by BUFFALOTONE

Combine tests aside, what scares me about DK is his lack of production at Ole Miss. Looking at his stats, you'd think theres no way in hell a player with those numbers would ever be considered a top 10 pick. And then you factor in his commitment to pro football versus becoming a doctor, along with his agility & route running questions & for the #9 pick I think you just have to say no.

We need to absolutely hit on that pick. We can't afford to take a chance with anybody imo. For me DK is a solid no at this point.

23 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

Combine tests aside, what scares me about DK is his lack of production at Ole Miss. Looking at his stats, you'd think theres no way in hell a player with those numbers would ever be considered a top 10 pick. And then you factor in his commitment to pro football versus becoming a doctor, along with his agility & route running questions & for the #9 pick I think you just have to say no.

We need to absolutely hit on that pick. We can't afford to take a chance with anybody imo. For me DK is a solid no at this point.

At the time of his injury he had about the same yards and TDs as AJ Brown on half the targets and less catches.  I'm not drafting him to put him in the slot and utilize an underneath to intermediate passing attack.  I am going to be using him to advance the vertical passing game.  That makes the offense dynamic when paired with Allens arm and Foster on the other side.  You draft Metcalf at 9 because you dont find deep threats over 6 ft and over 200 pds.  The other deep threat in the draft is 5'9 168. 

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

At the time of his injury he had about the same yards and TDs as AJ Brown on half the targets and less catches.  I'm not drafting him to put him in the slot and utilize an underneath to intermediate passing attack.  I am going to be using him to advance the vertical passing game.  That makes the offense dynamic when paired with Allens arm and Foster on the other side.  You draft Metcalf at 9 because you dont find deep threats over 6 ft and over 200 pds.  The other deep threat in the draft is 5'9 168. 

Wouldn't deep threat guys be easier to find than say a more complete WR who can run all the routes? We found Foster & he looked pretty good as our deep threat guy last year. For slot receiver I think we're fine as it is now or there are other guys out there in free agency we can pick up. I think we could use a WR who can run all the routes & perhaps be our #1 guy, than just another slot receiver who can run fast up the field. Especially given its the 9th overall pick. I just think we need more value out of that pick than just that. DK is a pick the Raiders would make, falling in love with his speed & physical traits over his game film & over everything else.

I don't think Allen needs another deep threat, he needs someone that can run all the routes & catch the ball & get 1st downs & bail him out on plays & keep the offense moving. Just my opinion of course

1 hour ago, elroy16 said:

Well you were wrong about Allen.?

1 minute ago, brianthomas said:

Wouldn't deep threat guys be easier to find than say a more complete WR who can run all the routes? We found Foster & he looked pretty good as our deep threat guy last year. For slot receiver I think we're fine as it is now or there are other guys out there in free agency we can pick up. I think we could use a WR who can run all the routes & perhaps be our #1 guy, than just another slot receiver who can run fast up the field. Especially given its the 9th overall pick. I just think we need more value out of that pick than just that. DK is a pick the Raiders would make, falling in love with his speed & physical traits over his game film & over everything else.

I don't think Allen needs another deep threat, he needs someone that can run all the routes & catch the ball & get 1st downs & bail him out on plays & keep the offense moving. Just my opinion of course

Foster also runs routes well.

• Like (+1) 1