Article for those obsessing about Metcalf

TigerJ

15 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Well you were wrong about Allen.?

Foster also runs routes well.

Yep for sure. Foster has been a Godsend just when we needed him the most. Imagine what our offense wouldve looked like last year without him. He's an easy player to root for too, given his path to get here. Hoping year 2 is even better for him, we surely need it to :P

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm not for drafting him, but c'mon -- Johnson was a great player who made the Lions better. He came to a terrible franchise, and they went to the playoffs twice in his time there. They also  should have advanced in 2014 if not for absolutely atrocious refereeing in their playoff game vs. Dallas. 

I was being a bit theatrical there :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

Wouldn't deep threat guys be easier to find than say a more complete WR who can run all the routes? We found Foster & he looked pretty good as our deep threat guy last year. For slot receiver I think we're fine as it is now or there are other guys out there in free agency we can pick up. I think we could use a WR who can run all the routes & perhaps be our #1 guy, than just another slot receiver who can run fast up the field. Especially given its the 9th overall pick. I just think we need more value out of that pick than just that. DK is a pick the Raiders would make, falling in love with his speed & physical traits over his game film & over everything else.

I don't think Allen needs another deep threat, he needs someone that can run all the routes & catch the ball & get 1st downs & bail him out on plays & keep the offense moving. Just my opinion of course

When you watch the top guys only 2 wrs consistently get seperation and run away from defenders.  That is Marquis Brown and Metcalf.  Butler, Harry, and Whiteside are going to have tough transitions to the NFL imo.  We see two opposite ways to fix the offense.  I'm ok with Zay Jones underneath.  I would rather have Jones going into year 3 second year in the offense and second year with Allen.  

I would go FA heavy on the Oline.  Biggest hole, no Quinton Nelson or perennial all pro prospect.  I would also add a young slot guy.  I like Humphries, living in Fl seen Tampa play a few times over the past few years he always gets open and is sure handed underneath.  Adds some value in the return game as well.  I would look to find a Te to become the possession guy the offense currently misses.  I'm not against drafting multiple wrs and going offense heavy in the draft.  

I would want to add to the vertical passing in the draft.  I like Foster.  The idea of putting someone just as dynamic maybe more across from him would cause alot of issues for defenses.  And imo throws accelerator on the chances of making a dynamic offense.  At 9 if a premier defender is there take them.  I think you are going to be looking at the guys just under elite.  No real motivation for a team to move up for a trade, take the freakiest guy that helps Allen the most.  

1 hour ago, brianthomas said:

Wouldn't deep threat guys be easier to find than say a more complete WR who can run all the routes? We found Foster & he looked pretty good as our deep threat guy last year. For slot receiver I think we're fine as it is now or there are other guys out there in free agency we can pick up. I think we could use a WR who can run all the routes & perhaps be our #1 guy, than just another slot receiver who can run fast up the field. Especially given its the 9th overall pick. I just think we need more value out of that pick than just that. DK is a pick the Raiders would make, falling in love with his speed & physical traits over his game film & over everything else.

I don't think Allen needs another deep threat, he needs someone that can run all the routes & catch the ball & get 1st downs & bail him out on plays & keep the offense moving. Just my opinion of course

He is definitely a risky pick but this regime took two boom or bust prospects in last years draft. I would rather draft a safer pick. Saying that Metcalf will probably have a floor of Tyrell Williams and a ceiling of Randy Moss. I wouldn’t be shocked if he busted and I wouldn’t be shocked if he was the next Moss. He is a very difficult prospect to project to the NFL.

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I am wary of a modest injury risk with Metcalf, and his less than stellar 3 cone results, but I'm not going to write him off for being too fit.  I would not be disappointed if he were the Bills' pick, but I'm fine if they go in a different direction.  

This is a good point. While his agility times raise a flag for me, his self discipline and work ethic to get into the shape he’s in speaks very well of him. 

I’m interested to see if the Bills have him in for a private meeting. Or if they attend his pro day. If his scripted pro day excludes him running certain routes, another flag will be raised. 

8 minutes ago, billspro said:

He is definitely a risky pick but this regime took two boom or bust prospects in last years draft. I would rather draft a safer pick. Saying that Metcalf will probably have a floor of Tyrell Williams and a ceiling of Randy Moss. I wouldn’t be shocked if he busted and I wouldn’t be shocked if he was the next Moss. He is a very difficult prospect to project to the NFL.

Tyrell William's is getting 10 mil plus.  In terms of Qb ability I think Metcalf matches Allen's skill set perfectly.  It makes life easier for foster on the other side and Zay and anyone else underneath and over the middle.  

8 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Tyrell William's is getting 10 mil plus.  In terms of Qb ability I think Metcalf matches Allen's skill set perfectly.  It makes life easier for foster on the other side and Zay and anyone else underneath and over the middle.  

I think Metcalf has a shot to be the best deep threat in the NFL. Definitely the best deep threat we have had since Lee Evans. He could be a great fit in this offense. I would prefer to fix the oline with that selection but if that is what Daboll wants for the offence I would be fine with it.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How many people said that last year about Allen vs Rosen though.  Beane will take the guy he feels will be the best player regardless

Well I certainly believe that to be true -- which is why I don't believe he'll take Metcalf at #9.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, billspro said:

I think Metcalf has a shot to be the best deep threat in the NFL. Definitely the best deep threat we have had since Lee Evans. He could be a great fit in this offense. I would prefer to fix the oline with that selection but if that is what Daboll wants for the offence I would be fine with it.

Every selection is pretty much a toss up whether they will pan out or not.  I’m going with the WR any day over the OL.  

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

When you watch the top guys only 2 wrs consistently get seperation and run away from defenders.  That is Marquis Brown and Metcalf.  Butler, Harry, and Whiteside are going to have tough transitions to the NFL imo.  We see two opposite ways to fix the offense.  I'm ok with Zay Jones underneath.  I would rather have Jones going into year 3 second year in the offense and second year with Allen.  

I would go FA heavy on the Oline.  Biggest hole, no Quinton Nelson or perennial all pro prospect.  I would also add a young slot guy.  I like Humphries, living in Fl seen Tampa play a few times over the past few years he always gets open and is sure handed underneath.  Adds some value in the return game as well.  I would look to find a Te to become the possession guy the offense currently misses.  I'm not against drafting multiple wrs and going offense heavy in the draft.  

I would want to add to the vertical passing in the draft.  I like Foster.  The idea of putting someone just as dynamic maybe more across from him would cause alot of issues for defenses.  And imo throws accelerator on the chances of making a dynamic offense.  At 9 if a premier defender is there take them.  I think you are going to be looking at the guys just under elite.  No real motivation for a team to move up for a trade, take the freakiest guy that helps Allen the most.  

Yep i pretty much agree with all you said too. OL in FA should be a priority & like everyone else i'd like to bring in 1 or 2 more wr's & if they can stretch the field with Foster I'd be all for it, but i think we can get help in FA & later in the draft with that. But specifically with DK I just don't want to take a chance with him at #9 for everything everyones already stated. Lets wait for him to become a Bill before we start making excuses for why he hasnt performed up to his potential you know? He's not even drafted yet & we're already doing it lol. I'd be excited to see TJ Hockenson here at #9 as I think he'd be more valuable to the offense as a whole than a speedy guy who can stretch the field who has had injury issues & questionable productivity. We cant miss on this pick because we have so many holes to fill. Drafting is always a crap shoot no doubt but I'd prefer we take our chances at 9 on someone with less questions.