How can we not be all in on Metcalf now?

12 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Why would you want someone at #9 with aimited route tree? 

Coming out Calvin Johnson could only run fly routes.  That seemed to work out ok.  Play to your players strengths.  It's not like he wont be taught how to run routes better. 

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Coming out Calvin Johnson could only run fly routes.  That seemed to work out ok.  Play to your players strengths.  It's not like he wont be taught how to run routes better. 

Thats not remotely true. CJ was incredibly productive in college and was excellent running short and intermediate routes due to his cutting ability.  Metcalf can boast none of that.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And they let him walk for a 5th round player. Point is sorry if people think OL in the early rounds is a sure thing. It isn’t with the way colleges are today. 

It it used to be, but changed and the only ones that don’t see it are stuck in old school football. 

Except for Mike Williams...

26 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

This is quite incorrect.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok so tell me how many team recently draft OL in the 1st round get to the SB?

You can’t be serious 

52 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And they let him walk for a 5th round player. Point is sorry if people think OL in the early rounds is a sure thing. It isn’t with the way colleges are today. 

It it used to be, but changed and the only ones that don’t see it are stuck in old school football. 

They let him walk after how many years? 

They drafted an OL in the 1st rd last year as well.  Your point is manufactured and doesn’t really exist 

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

No Gtech was a triple option and he literally ran flys and curls.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2050587-looking-back-at-nfl-draft-profiles-from-back-in-the-day.amp.html

Look at his scouting report, best player in the draft. Picked 2nd overall even with his failed drug test. There was no questions about his ability to get in and out of routes.

IIRC Chan Gailey was at Tech with CJ and they ran pro sets. 

Calvin was a beast.

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Off top of my head well there is Jones, Jeffery to name two quick ones. 

I am not opposed to OL to help Allen. But to think a first round OL is a “fix” and ANY less risky in today’s NFL is asinine 

I never said a first round OL was a "fix". Nor do I think that. So I don't know whats asinine other than your assumptions that I said that, or believe that. What I believe is that DK Metcalf is nothing worth #9 and he won't "fix" this team. My opinion is we would do a better service to Josh Allen if we went early and often to upgrade the oline. That said, I'm hoping for Ed Oliver at 9. Not a WR. I just don't see that helping this team in the immediate future

Edited by BuffAlone

22 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2050587-looking-back-at-nfl-draft-profiles-from-back-in-the-day.amp.html

Look at his scouting report, best player in the draft. Picked 2nd overall even with his failed drug test. There was no questions about his ability to get in and out of routes.

Calvin was a beast.

This is quite correct.

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I agree with this. General thought, not necessarily directed at you:  From the Bills current situation, can they afford to miss in the first round at WR or OL? 

To me, I don't think the risk is worth the reward at WR, especially with a player like Metcalf. Allen needs consistent, reliable play makers. They can't afford to wait around for your first round pick to develop into the WR you hoped he would become. 

I'd rather see them get someone with a high floor at WR, whether they draft one or get someone from free agency. Take 9 and improve the trenches with a plug and play that can immediately help your team abd offers little risk of impedeing Allen's development 

I honestly can’t comment on Metcalf as I don’t really follow college too much so I’ll defer that to you.

But ya just hoping they get an impact player at 9 regardless of what position that player is

36 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Calvin was a beast.

Sorry confused the colligant career to Demerius Thomas.  Both from Georgia Tech, and good size.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:06 AM, JustWinPlease said:

I would take DK Metcalf in the 1st round, and then trade into the end of the 1st round for Noah Fant. (Get veteran OL in free agency.)

Yes, with the number of first round OL  that haven’t panned out in recent years, I think going for established veteran free agents is the better bet.

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

You can’t be serious 

They let him walk after how many years? 

They drafted an OL in the 1st rd last year as well.  Your point is manufactured and doesn’t really exist 

And yet no 1st round pick on their SB winning OL. 

8 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I never said a first round OL was a "fix". Nor do I think that. So I don't know whats asinine other than your assumptions that I said that, or believe that. What I believe is that DK Metcalf is nothing worth #9 and he won't "fix" this team. My opinion is we would do a better service to Josh Allen if we went early and often to upgrade the oline. That said, I'm hoping for Ed Oliver at 9. Not a WR. I just don't see that helping this team in the immediate future

But there are people that think Jonah Williams will come in and “fix” the OL?  Where at OG because he isn’t a Tackle in the NFL. 

10 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Why would you want someone at #9 with aimited route tree? 

I don't know what else he can do I just know that's what he can do based on the tape.  Secondly, why wouldn't I want someone at 9 that fits my QB.  People are not looking at who we have at QB and what his strengths are.  Allen is a down the field thrower.  So why not get him a down the field WR.  To me Metcalf fits perfectly with our QB's strengths.  Highlight our players strengths and do the best to hide their weaknesses.

Edited by NewEraBills

10 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

How does he help Allen any more than someone who could be taken in the second round? What skills does he have, or has shown, that would offer Allen consistency improvement?

Did you see the combine or any of his highlight vids?

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Actually, they spent the 22nd overall pick in last year's draft on Solder's replacement--he just happened to get hurt and Trent Brown stepped in

3 hours ago, papazoid said:

BUYER  BEWARE !!

just watched film of Metcalf vs LSU Greedy Williams

greedy dominated him. Metcalf can't cut or get separation. only straight ahead over the top speed. unwilling blocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ta9jNtHxYM

How do you draw, 1) unwilling blocker; 2) can't cut; 3) can't get separation from that?  The majority of what he ran are go routes.  Name me one WR this year that got separation from Greedy Williams.  That's why he's the #1 CB in the draft.  Just because he couldn't outrun Greedy he can't get separation?  All that means is he couldn't get separation from Greedy but that doesn't mean he can't make plays.  He did have a couple of good catches with Greedy having superb coverage.

The pass at 00:16 shouldn't have been thrown to Metcalf.  That's a bad read by the QB

At 00:39 this is a fantastic match up.  Metcalf gets Greedy to commit pass interference here.

1:05 quick hitch

1:14 Comeback route.  I would have liked to see him catch this one.

1:31 Did a good job of getting in the way as a blocker on the screen

1:50 another quick hitch

2:30 Great 1 v 1 coverage the QB decides to go opposite of Greedy.  Looks like the Safety may have been cheating over to that side as he did at 00:16.  Whoever #5 is has to hold on to this one.

3:00 another quick hitch

3:17 Comeback route vs off coverage.  LSU is giving them this to get off the field so to me this is not a grade play.  

3:34 Stop and go.  QB is pressured.

4:27 that's just on DK there.  Gotta be more careful with his hands.

5:03, I would have liked to see the QB throw that one to Metcalf's outside shoulder.  Greedy made a great play there.

5:52 - good block

6:04 catch on the comeback route.  Looked like it could have been a nasty leg injury on the fall but he wasn't injured.

6:11 whiff block

6:17 blocks but it's insignificant since the play is going the other way

6:23 quick stop route vs off coverage

6:36/37 DB did a fantastic job of using the sideline.  Pass was overthrown anyway.

7:26 Too high from the QB

7:33 Slant route, QB read the right side.  Metcalf is open on the backside slant.  The coverage is good but he has the inside leverage.  QB scrambled once everything on the right was muddied.

8:22 - tipped pass - curl route

On these plays

00:24 RPO, I'm not sure I would say he's an unwilling blocker here.

Notice on every play what Greedy Williams is NOT doing.  He's not trying to press Metcalf, he's just running with him.  The Bama game showed what happens when guys try to press and run with him.  All in all, as an individual performance, not a bad game.  The bulk of LSU pass snaps were quick game concepts with Metcalf running Go routes.  However, they did have him run quick hitches, slants, comebacks, hitch and go.  So I  don't see why people keep spitting out the narrative of a 1 route WR.  Does he run the entire route tree, NOPE.  Does he get pressed?  No.  Did he dictate coverage?  To some degree.  00:16 the Safety is cheating over which results in an INT by the safety; 2:30 the safety is cheating over which results in a 1 v 1 where #5 just has to hold on to that pass.  So I don't see a bad game and I don't see him getting dominated in this game as you say.  He made some plays against the best CB in the country.  He had 1 offensive pass INT and he had 1 drop.  Otherwise looking at the tape and what Ole Miss was running vs what LSU was doing I thought he had a decent game.  The unwillingness of the best CB in the country to try and press him shows a great deal of respect for his ability at the line.

Edited by NewEraBills

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

And yet no 1st round pick on their SB winning OL. 

But there are people that think Jonah Williams will come in and “fix” the OL?  Where at OG because he isn’t a Tackle in the NFL. 

Yeah, if you've noticed ANY of my posts,  Im not that guy. In fact, I have said no way to Jonah, who could very well be a Gaurd, at #9. In fact, he's the 4th-5th OL on my list and I think may drop to the 2nd round. That said, if he's there at 40, and is BPA at the time, I wouldn't hate it. We need help everywhere, including G. No way do I take him at 9. I wouldn't necessarily be overjoyed at taking Taylor or Dillard or Ford at #9, but if they are BPA at #9 and fills an immediate need, I'm ok with it. Beane has already said he didn't feel there were any "elite" oline at 9, but if the combine changed his opinion at all, I trust him. He also has said their opinion is that they do not believe in the notion of a true "#1" WR in today's NFL. So I'd be hard pressed to believe they go DK at 9. They believe its more about matchups these days. FWIW.  Sstrength at the top of this draft is D-line. Would even throw in Devin White to that mix. Kyle's replacement is there for the taking and meets value/need. I think that's where they go and I'd be happy happy happy to grab Oliver,Allen, or even Wilkinson at 9. Just my take on it...